Someone jelous of the maps, or are there too many scumbags?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Someone jelous of the maps, or are there too many scumbags?

Unread postby Artas1984 » 26 Aug 2009, 21:24

Someone deliberately has done a hideous thing... Some idiot gave all of the "1" value points on all of my maps just on purpose, because "he felt so"...

For god sakes, can't someone disable the ratings - why do we need some imbeciles or immature kids spoiling our reputation...

Such things make me don't want to upload maps here no more, despite CL being my favorite Heroes site.. Was i just accidentally picked because of some IMBECILE'S bad mood or is there some kind of idiot, that feels jealous enough here to do such low-life-scum things?

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 26 Aug 2009, 21:56

he probably did it to see your reaction, your feeding the troll

I never dl maps here and I don't know where exactly to but if it bothers you that much I'll 5 star em all to make it even

on a side note, on another site (www.agesanctuary.com) you can post recorded games which you also can rate, however the rating only shows when 4 or more people have voted to prevent fruiters from 1 starring just for fun
Last edited by Mirez on 26 Aug 2009, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 26 Aug 2009, 21:58

Don't open a topic for it. It's not worth it...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 27 Aug 2009, 04:42

Artas,

As a fellow Heroes III map maker, I offer my condolences. I share your feeling, and do know myself how annoyed such attacks can make one to feel.
but the fact of the matter is that no matter what you do, there are always folks out there who abuse the map ratings' system thus spoiling its original purpose and making it less fun for those who are more serious minded.

Please remember that there's no way you can ever please 'em all. My intuition tells me that people who give ratings below 5 do so every time with a malicious intent. As Haloswift here put it, they are trolls and you might be unintentionally feeding such aggression by letting them know that you're upset.

Such immature pranks are usually done for a moment's "good laugh", but jealousy could be the real driving force behind them. It's Not Unusual. It happens everyday, no matter what you say. Why can't this crazy voting be more?

WBR,

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 01 Sep 2009, 15:48

Hi Artas,

It happened to all of us on other sites too. I wish there were comments instead of ratings; that way mapmakers would get some useful feedback.
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Sep 2009, 17:36

I don't like people who rate things up or down according to where they think the rating should be, rather than give their personal rating... nor people who sabotage them on purpose. But there's not much we can do about it, I'm afraid. We have the forum, if you want to give or ask for feedback on specific maps.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 02 Sep 2009, 06:17

Feedback in forums, you kidding?

In fact, bad ratings can kill a masterpiece because the common player use "ratings" for selecting his downloads. I also got angry on mapsforheroes and proposed to the owner a solution: the user has to include his real email when rating. If he rates, the rating is not applying unless he confirm it by email.

Today we can see that bad ratings on maps4heroes has stop because of that.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 03 Sep 2009, 14:00

Yurian Stonebow wrote:Artas,

Please remember that there's no way you can ever please 'em all. My intuition tells me that people who give ratings below 5 do so every time with a malicious intent. As Haloswift here put it, they are trolls and you might be unintentionally feeding such aggression by letting them know that you're upset.

Yurian
As a map reviewer, I have to say that I don't think this is true. A single person who rates everything by a given person poorly is probably being malicious, but individual low ratings are not so. Out of the 333 map reviews I have done, 28 (about 8%) have gotten below a 5 on a 10-point scale. Obviously, this is just my opinion, and is biased by my personal preferences, but it shows that there are some maps that a person who is trying to be honest will still rate poorly.

Now, if EVERY map by a given person gets a low rating (as in this case), it is very likely that someone is just being nasty. Several ratings need to be averaged to get a better view, since the chance of multiple malicious people is very low.

{PLUG} On a side note, I have recently gone back to playing H4, and have played all but 6 of the original maps now. I may be returning to map reviewing after I finish them. Stay tuned. {/PLUG} :D

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Sep 2009, 06:15

Hey! Here's an alternative way of looking at it all. Your map is public. The people underrating your map(s) may not even be able to draw a straight line in the sand let alone make a map. Map rating is overrated. If people are downloading it anyway, then you should feel justified in that end. Ratings mean nothing to me as it is. I download maps to play them. If I like them, I keep them. If not, they are just a delete button away from the round file. In the end, I seem to keep 50-50 of highly rated maps and non highly rated maps. If people judge maps by ratings, then they are missing out on overlooked gems.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 09 Sep 2009, 06:56

Qurqirish Dragon wrote: {PLUG} On a side note, I have recently gone back to playing H4, and have played all but 6 of the original maps now. I may be returning to map reviewing after I finish them. Stay tuned. {/PLUG} :D
Any chance you comeback for review the latest WoG maps? So far I could not find a single WoG player to give feedback about 300 spartans. Of course many people played it, but mainly SoD players, so feedback was limited to original mechanics. Kinda sad.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 30 Sep 2009, 22:10

Well, i see you all understand, but the problem is that Celestial Heavens is the biggest source of map downloads, at least for Heroes 3 - and it is unprotected still being a class site..

I checked maps4heroes for map download count - celestialheavens is alot more popular, alot...

For example i submitted one of my XL maps in maps4heroes 2 years ago, and the same one in celestiaheavens at the same time. After several months i saw that celestiaheavens map download count is like from 10 to 20 times bigger than maps4heroes - even before the bug in the map count appeared here in celestiaheavens...

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 01 Oct 2009, 05:56

Artas1984 wrote:Well, i see you all understand, but the problem is that Celestial Heavens is the biggest source of map downloads, at least for Heroes 3 - and it is unprotected still being a class site..

I checked maps4heroes for map download count - celestialheavens is alot more popular, alot...

For example i submitted one of my XL maps in maps4heroes 2 years ago, and the same one in celestiaheavens at the same time. After several months i saw that celestiaheavens map download count is like from 10 to 20 times bigger than maps4heroes - even before the bug in the map count appeared here in celestiaheavens...
CH's download count is bugged, plus I thought the number of downloads on maps4heroes is reset every month...?

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 01 Oct 2009, 11:06

Vlaad II wrote: CH's download count is bugged, plus I thought the number of downloads on maps4heroes is reset every month...?

Are you blind to read or what? I clearly said "BEFORE THE THE DOWNLOAD BUG COUNT APPEARED" - as if you don't read what i just said, i hate when people see only what they want to see and not what is written. You can read again to make it clear --->
Artas1984 wrote: even before the bug in the map count appeared here in celestiaheavens...

Not all download counts are bugged.. Maps hosted this year do not have this bug..

But maps4heores site does not have a lot of maps in general..

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 02 Oct 2009, 03:18

Sorry, you're right - I missed the last sentence of your post. My apologies, I wasn't trying to be a smartass.

So how long has that bug been there? I remember it long before it was noted in the forums...

Back on topic, I was browsing Age of Wonders download pages and they have a really neat system: you can rate the map (graphics, design, balance etc), leave comments AND see who rated your scenario. Not sure if it'd be too much work, but it'd be great to have something like that when H6 comes. It would prevent abuse (at least to some degree) and give mapmakers real feedback.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 02 Oct 2009, 15:52

Age Of Wonders - another game.. Btw, somehow it's bad reputation is legendary... I have heard many times that it's one of the worst games of it's release date.. No personal opinion dude, just backlash..

Thought you have found a Heroes 3 portal of some sort...
GOOGLE for Heroes 3 maps and nothing rich will come out..
Vlaad II wrote:Sorry, you're right - I missed the last sentence of your post. My apologies, I wasn't trying to be a smartass.
I appreciate this, there are few people like you who can take critics and acknowledge their errors without poking something backwards or provoking for further flames..

Typically i encounter only bigshots in every forum, it's even a surprise that i have not got attacked back like i always am used to..

Cheers Vlad! :proud: :-D :D

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 03 Oct 2009, 12:22

Salamandre wrote:
Qurqirish Dragon wrote: {PLUG} On a side note, I have recently gone back to playing H4, and have played all but 6 of the original maps now. I may be returning to map reviewing after I finish them. Stay tuned. {/PLUG} :D
Any chance you comeback for review the latest WoG maps? So far I could not find a single WoG player to give feedback about 300 spartans. Of course many people played it, but mainly SoD players, so feedback was limited to original mechanics. Kinda sad.
Unlikely in the near future. I am going through the CH map archive in reverse-chronological order (only those maps that have not been previously reviewed). If you read the usenet newsgroup comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic then you will see all the maps I played (and therefore reviewed, since I review all user-maps I play). The reviews were sent to CH, and should be appearing in the near future.

Since your map is one of the newest ones, it will be a while before I get to it. Since I have every heroes game and expansion (including WoG, of course, and Equilibrus), I will eventually get to every map, but it will take a while to get to recent ones.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 03 Oct 2009, 20:31

This is not a plug QD, but do you also plan on reviewing user made Campaigns or is that a bit too much work for you to implement? I know there are quite a few of them out there these days. And it would take a lot of time just reviewing the maps let alone the Campaigns.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 06 Oct 2009, 16:23

darknessfood wrote:Don't open a topic for it. It's not worth it...
He is pissed off, and I understand why. So if creating a topic will help the situation - Im for it.

Please remember that there's no way you can ever please 'em all
Why bother talking about "please 'em all", when its clear that the person who did it not even interested in playing these maps
Map rating is overrated. If people are downloading it anyway, then you should feel justified in that end. Ratings mean nothing to me as it is.
Cmon, it's clear that some maps are better than the others. Some are way better. On different side there are people that have less time to play than others. Ratings help to find masterpices.
So, if rating system is broken, I would rather go with "fix it" than "forget it".

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 06 Oct 2009, 21:54

MistWeaver wrote:Why bother talking about "please 'em all", when its clear that the person who did it not even interested in playing these maps
I do "bother" to show support to people of my choice whenever I feel like it. The whole point of my post was to let Artas know that I understand he's frustrated with people who have no better things to do than abusing the map rating system by giving ratings of 1/10 just for a moment's of "good laugh".

Does it bother you to actually read my words within their original, intended context?

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 06 Oct 2009, 23:23

MistWeaver wrote:

Cmon, it's clear that some maps are better than the others. Some are way better. On different side there are people that have less time to play than others. Ratings help to find masterpices.
Supossed to be true what you just said, but in real practice it's the other way:

For example there is this map called "Dragon Fire" - H3SOD XL size - it's one of the most impressive works i have ever laid my eyes out, one of the few maps i myself have played from dozens of all created maps, because i am hardly to be impressed that simple, but "Dragon Fire" is good in all things - although set in a fantasy reality, it is still realistic and detailed, extremely well balanced - feats those i truly appreciate. The same feats go for my own H3SOD maps like "Tatalian Inside Wars" - yet both "Dragon Fire" and "Tatalian Inside Wars" are rated now at respectively 5.25 and 5.86 points...

What? Is this a joke? They are better than the rest 90 % deepshit, mediocre or normal maps hosted here - normal meaning like "Angelic Pride" in my humble opinion - one of the most overrated maps in CL, that is nothing more than a solid normal map, nothing special, yet is considered like "epic" - what a load of BS..

So like yes, i am pissed off deeply.. And i will spit in the face to those who don't think like me!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”