Isn't HOMMIV too difficult?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Donegal77
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Isn't HOMMIV too difficult?

Unread postby Donegal77 » 26 Aug 2009, 06:40

Hi
I have played all Heroes serie and i,m having lots of problems with HOMMIV. Playing scenarios in medium level, the AI takes my castle so soon with a huge army and a lot of different creatures when I have only had time to develope 3 kind of creatures and recruit few of them.
Am I missing anything? I play without Equilibris mod
Thanks

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Aug 2009, 09:08

Yeap, that's true. Some of the campaigns are hard there, especially the second scenario of the Half-Dead campaign and the first scenario of the pirate/chaos campaign. If the former you get attacked by hordes of devils just after you start the game, and in the latter you don't get a town at all, and once you get it, enemies teleport in through one way portals with massive armies. Honestly I have no clue how to complete those without cheating.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 27 Aug 2009, 04:28

Heroes IV is subject to some fairly massive balance issues that certainly skew the difficulty. The AI would be a joke if it didn't turtle and horde troops.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 27 Aug 2009, 05:00

I realized that you were being serious. (no offense, mate) But Heroes IV scarcely offers any real challenge, save the occasional moment or two when you're playing the campaigns which are scripted to feature heavy odds for the player to defeat the mindless AI. The tactical battle AI (save siege fights) is quite capable of defeating inexperienced players or surprising the more experienced ones with a twist of effectiviness combined with good luck. But that's about it.

If you wish to enjoy the game some more, try playing without potions of immorality, I mean Potions of Immortality. This will force the player to place some more weight on handling tactical battles. Of course it will also have an effect on one's strategy, but I think I already made my point here: the AI of Heroes IV is quite limited, and most of the time it acts as if it doesn't really have a clue what's going on around him, which is yet another reason why I don't take part in Heroes IV map making. Why bother? Even the good fan made maps out there are ruined by the idiot AI.

Anyway, I wish you good luck in your quest. Oh and one thing more, you should really try playing with the Equilibris mod. Our Russian friends have really tried their best to get something out of the game left in its beta form by the dead-and-buried NWC. Current version of the mod is 3.51 (from October 2004), but I hear that the next version shall be released soon. Wait for it to be released on December 21st, 2012.

WBR,

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Aug 2009, 09:54

I play with Equilibris, and it does have an upgraded AI, at least with troop formation. And I play with one potion at a time.
I remember the Life campaign. That one was pretty awesome, the part where you start with no towns, and only have creature dwellings in the swamp. You have to kill a hero I think, and you yourself have a lot of heroes. I had to charge him and had to replay the battle like 4 times because it was always very close to victory, but not quite there!

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 27 Aug 2009, 15:50

Yurian Stonebow wrote:Even the good fan made maps out there are ruined by the idiot AI.
That seems a bit of a contradiction ;)
All maps in all heroes games need AI manipulation in order to create a challenge.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fewtger » 30 Aug 2009, 08:42

Yurian Stonebow wrote:If you wish to enjoy the game some more, try playing without potions of immorality, I mean Potions of Immortality.
Backspace?

Return to “Heroes I-IV”