3DO website

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

3DO website

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Aug 2009, 11:13

Not sure if this is the right section for this, as this is about general 3DO, so if it's not, move it :)

So anyway, I'm thinking about recreating the last known good 3DO website from the Internet Archives as a part of my Lost Websites project (http://lostwebsites.xsa1.com/), so the website would not be lost forever due to 3DO going bankrupt. However, I'm not planning to do so with all the irrelevant games that 3DO had published, I'll recreate only the parts about the company itself and anything that relates to Might and Magic.

Currently I have the main page set up, which you can see here:
http://3do.xsa1.com/

Any suggestions and bug reports would be welcome, and if you happen to have any of missing resources, it would be a huge help, too. For example, you can see that the main page doesn't have any of the 4 images there, and AFAIK there's nothing I can do as they are not in the archives...

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 18 Aug 2009, 16:34

It's looking good! I don't have any of 3DO's old resources, only a vague memory of the Chronicles section and some old forum postings, so not much use. But I do hope you manage to finish it.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Aug 2009, 08:37

Hmm, I've found an interesting thing there in the Archives:
http://web.archive.org/web/200304011915 ... community/
Interesting, there was an attack? Anyone knows anything about that?

Also, I'm now working on the company pages, and a lot of links will be removed (like defunct store, community, fansite kit etc.), but I'll leave Investors (lots of interesting information about the company there), Support (but I guess I'll overwrite it with the newest information, such as newest patches and such), Company and, of course, Legal Notice.

So, check back for updates :) Currently adding the Investors section.

EDIT: Also, what the?
For more information on 3DO products, visit our Web site at www.3do.com.
People who should be reading this are already on the 3DO website :disagree:

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 20 Aug 2009, 09:32

I'd love to browse the old 3DO forums...

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Aug 2009, 10:52

How times change...

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 20 Aug 2009, 11:11

So, are those pics of the 3do heroes V still anywhere to be found?

Really great stuff you got there GreatEmerald :)
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Aug 2009, 11:23

You'll find almost all NWC-HV pictures here (bottom of Dexter's post):

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... enumber=26

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 20 Aug 2009, 12:18

Thanks for your hard work.
Youtube has terminated my account without reason.

Please express why it should be reinstated on Twitter.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Aug 2009, 12:25

Wow, that artwork is awesome! It looks very much like a mix of HoMM3 (Unicorn) and HoMM4 (Black Dragon), a lot, lot better than what we got from Ubi. Especially the Castle's troops and, hey, the Fortress town, wee! :D And if they had renders, then they must have had a sorta-kinda-working game. Too bad they never released the betas, the community could have pulled out a good working game out of that...

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 20 Aug 2009, 17:53

Reminds me of what a noob I was back then. :disagree:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Aug 2009, 08:35

Corlagon wrote:>>You'll find almost all NWC-HV pictures here (bottom of Dexter's post):

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... enumber=26 <<
Judging from those i would have preferred the NWC versions buildings by a long shot... the creatures... well they're not worse then Ubivals... but not better either.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 Aug 2009, 09:54

Thanks Corlagon for the link to that HC thread. So many NWC HV screenshots I didn't know about... ranging between 'beautiful' and 'awesome' for my taste. :P

But now that's I've seen them, I'm even more sad that 3DO went bankrupt. That really looked like what I used to hope HV will look like. :(
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 21 Aug 2009, 17:26

So that's what NWC's Heroes V would have looked like. A lot of those creature designs are decidedly meh, mostly because they are in the vein of Heroes IV's plastic models.

But whatever, that game is never coming out and instead we should learn to live with the gaudy art style of the real Heroes V.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 21 Aug 2009, 18:06

Deadguy118 wrote:So that's what NWC's Heroes V would have looked like. A lot of those creature designs are decidedly meh, mostly because they are in the vein of Heroes IV's plastic models.

But whatever, that game is never coming out and instead we should learn to live with the gaudy art style of the real Heroes V.
TBH, the ingame creatures in Heroes V look better than the ones in 3 and 4. But that's mostly because pre-renders of back then are decidedly worse than what most modern PCs can make in realtime these days (for Homm 3), and Homm 4 was terribly rushed. They didn't exactly have the time to make the proper touches to their models.

The best looking games of the series IMHO are 1 and 2 as far as art style. Homm 1 looked like an actual Might and Magic game (fitting with the Xeen style) while Heroes 2 had more of a heraldic look for many of its creatures.
Youtube has terminated my account without reason.

Please express why it should be reinstated on Twitter.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 21 Aug 2009, 18:28

Except for the priestess, I quite like them all. Very realistic.

The Fairie looks good. Too bad she doesn't show enough skin. :devil:
The Archer would have looked great if he had better legs and a better head.
The Wolf (Lion?) Dude is overdone. His head looks like a lion (which looks ugly), so he needs to lose the mane.
The Griffin (I assume) doesn't look good, because the Griffin is supposed to be a war bird. The human head clearly ruined it, but otherwise the body and the wings don't look bad at all.
The Fairie Dragon looks very good, actually. I'm pretty sure it would look even better in action.
And, the mighty Phoenix. It looks just fine!

Both of these buildings look GREAT, much better than ANYTHING in H5 (including towns).
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 Aug 2009, 19:28

TheUndeadKing wrote:The Fairie looks good. Too bad she doesn't show enough skin. :devil:
The Archer would have looked great if he had better legs and a better head.
The Wolf (Lion?) Dude is overdone. His head looks like a lion (which looks ugly), so he needs to lose the mane.
The Griffin (I assume) doesn't look good, because the Griffin is supposed to be a war bird. The human head clearly ruined it, but otherwise the body and the wings don't look bad at all.
The Fairie Dragon looks very good, actually. I'm pretty sure it would look even better in action.
And, the mighty Phoenix. It looks just fine!
The Faerie/Pixie/Sprite doesn't need to show more skin to look better. A very gracious animation could make her even more attractive than the Ubival's version (though I admit the Ubival version was not bad either).
The feet of the Elf were indeed not what I would have expected... maybe to bring him more in line with the rest of the alignment.
The 3rd creature was not just some Wolf/Lion. It was supposed to be a Werewolf. And for a Werewolf, I find that design to be quite good.
The 4th creature was not supposed to be a Griffin, but a Sphinx. ;)
And I'm not sure if the Dragon was supposed to be the Faerie Dragon (I think I saw somewhere another name for that design... I just can't remember now what it was)
As for the Phoenix, you should see the artwork version with the open wings. It looked much better. ;)

And, as said above, don't forget that was just conceptual art. The final versions could have looked even better... but unfortunately we'll never know. :`(
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 21 Aug 2009, 20:36

My "Faerie not showing more skin" comment was just a joke reference to the previous games (H3, H4, H5 all had half-naked Sprites/Pixies). ;)

So that was a Werewolf... I still think his head doesn't look "wolvish" enough. I've no problem with the rest of his body though.

It was a Sphinx? My bad! :( As a sphinx, that design does make a lot of sense now.

Fairie Dragon is just my guess (and hope), since it was supposed to be a Fairy Town. A different dragon is always welcome, so long as it's unique and done right (like the Mechanical Dragon from H4).

Yes, I've already seen the Phoenix artwork you're speaking of. It does look magnificent. ;)

I, too, believe the final versions could have looked even better. :)
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 21 Aug 2009, 20:58

That ''Faerie Dragon'' really looks astonishing, I've actually never seen such a design. Really, it has a touch of a big cat (tiger) in a chineese dragon. Really nice to look at.....

p.s 100th post o m g, I rockzorz, I r will becomes a big and great member soon. :D
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 22 Aug 2009, 06:20

TheUndeadKing wrote:The Wolf (Lion?) Dude is overdone.
I thinkit was Gnoll, not any Lion or Werewolf.
TheUndeadKing wrote:The Fairie Dragon looks very good, actually.
I think it was Storm Dragon not Fearie.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”