HoMM 3 and 4 won't install (Heroes Complete box)

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Yskonyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoMM 3 and 4 won't install (Heroes Complete box)

Unread postby Yskonyn » 16 Jul 2009, 16:46

The autorun shows just fine, but when I try to click on Install for whatever game or expansion nothing happens other than the little animation in the autorun menu stops.

Task Manager shows setup.exe as a process, but it sits idle. Terminating that lets the animation in the autorun menu continue again.

Heroes V installs without problems.

I am running Win XP SP3.
Does anyone know how to make the (aparently old) setup.exe work for the other games?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Jul 2009, 18:20

Start with disabling all other applications which are running at your computer, the best point for start will be your antivirus and firewall program. (For security reasons disconnect before from the internet. )

You may also try to set for setup.exe compatibility with w2k although I don't think that it will be having any effect.

Mostly it's other program already running preventing this one to run.

PS Once installed, you may create a portable version. You will be needing copy of your folder, where did you installed the game and file called setupreg :).
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

solitaire345
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby solitaire345 » 16 Jul 2009, 18:22

try to set compatibility to something like Win98 or 95, or run setup.exe without autorun (through windows explorer)

Yskonyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yskonyn » 17 Jul 2009, 20:08

If I run setup.exe without the autorun I get the same problem.
I get a hourglass next to the cursor for a second or so indicating Windows is busy, but after that nothing happens and setup.exe sits idle in the taskmanager.

Compatibility mode doesn't help either, but I have only tried this after it has hung for the first time. Maybe I need to try the compatibility mode after a reboot?

If that doesn't work either, then what might be causing problems?
AVG virusscanner perhaps?

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 17 Jul 2009, 21:31

I had something like this. All I needed to do was wait, it took a while before the setup actualy started, but in the end, it did...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Yskonyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yskonyn » 18 Jul 2009, 08:24

Patience is a virtue, so it seems. :)
Indeed all it took was a little wait. After 15 seconds or so, the installer kicked in and I was able to install the game.

Do I need to update any of the games that come in the Heroes Complete box or are they all already patched to the latest version?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 18 Jul 2009, 15:21

Already patched.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 18 Jul 2009, 20:31

Pol wrote:Already patched.
What he said, allthough I could have just said the same, now I have more words, and still I keep writing ;| ...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Return to “Heroes I-IV”