Which game to play <tell me what you would do!>?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Aug 2009, 12:42

I still don't see what icons were changed. primary skills icons (attack, def, mana and knowledge) are the same. I have both versions and can't see any difference.

WoG is a tool for custom maps, it is an engine. If you put a F1 engine on a boat, the boat will drown. Try some custom maps or mods to see its potential.

There is no artefact who heals all HP between turns. I think you faced an enemy commander which had the ability to heal 50 HP/turn. It is a commander ability, not big deal. And commanders are mostly not used in custom maps. I rarely see this option, because good mapmakers know that commanders are either too strong or too weak. They can't be balanced.

For the creatures, WoG engine allows the mapmakers to easy introduce new creatures, so the initial ones were only an example. See icons/creatures above for the actual quality.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Aug 2009, 19:45

Oh, that's cool. May give the new version a try then. The screenshots on this site look promising.
And the icons are changed, at least in the version I had. The Attack was changed to an axe instead of two crossed swords, Power to an orb instead of an open book with particles and I don't remember what the rest were. Also the Defend button in the game was changed from a shield to sword, arrow and a smaller shield.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 05 Aug 2009, 20:07

Salamandre wrote:I still don't see what icons were changed. primary skills icons (attack, def, mana and knowledge) are the same. I have both versions and can't see any difference.
Do you have a version of H3 in a folder where WoG was never installed? I'm asking because I have the feeling WoG overwrites some original H3 files, which may be the reason why you see the same icons in H3. I'm also pretty sure it's WoG that came with new Primary Skill icons. If it was NWC, then it must have been in one of their very last patches or H3Complete, as I remember playing for years with different icons than what we have now in WoG (not that it bothers me).

@GreatEmerald: my guess is that they changed the graphics of the Defend button, because it was given extra r-click functionality (choice between melee, range & cast attacks).
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Aug 2009, 22:32

Zamolxis, you were right, thanks for the info. HoMM complete icons are overwrite.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Aug 2009, 22:34

I have H3Complete and the icons are the same as in RoE. It's WoG that overwrites them.
And that's interesting, never thought there was such an option. Guess that's the same as the button you get in HoMM4 (what about harpies, though?)

By the way, that gives me an idea... Maybe it's possible to get the icons back to normal by rewriting the .lod file with the one on the original CD? Or using a tool to reimport them? Not sure if WoG adds anything new, or just overwrites those files...

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Aug 2009, 22:55

Well, if those 4 icons disturb you so much, yes you can rewrite them. After all, the thousand options WoG introduces are not worth changing 4 icons ;)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Aug 2009, 09:10

The question is, why would they overwrite them in the first place :P There's absolutely nothing wrong with the original versions, they look even better.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 06 Aug 2009, 09:42

Well, it is subjective. WoG is an addon so I guess they changed because they "could". To be honest, I never noticed that change. Also if you have resedit exe you can extract them from the original and install via update.exe into WoG, so you can admire old icons every day. :D

Shyranis
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Shyranis » 07 Aug 2009, 20:06

I just wish WoG Worked for people who never got Shadows of Death.

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 07 Aug 2009, 23:14

So you don't have combo arties?
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

EvilNed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EvilNed » 09 Aug 2009, 13:10

Zamolxis wrote:
GreatEmerald wrote: As Qurqirish Dragon said, H1 had a totally different magic system then all the others, so it's not like you can so easily jump to H2; and for a H3 fan, no way is H5 just a 3D remake with a better skill system (for me the amount of improvements is insignificant as compared to the amount of good things in H3 that got lost...).
Well... Agree to disagree. I can easily move from H1 to H2 (and did so!) without even consulting the manual or tutorial. I did the same for H3 when it came, because the games were so alike.

I've played all the game very, very much, as have we all. But I treat H3 as a souped up H2, with some added features. And in H1-H2 is very apparent, because all creatures are exactly the same, except some got upgrades. But the tiers and levels? All exactly the same. So it's just a remake.

With H3, they took the basic concept and then changed very little. But added more. They changed the magic system and added more skills and heroes. Maybe enough not to call it a true remake, but hey. The fact is that all games except H4 are basicly the same game.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 09 Aug 2009, 21:09

HoMM2 and 3 are great games. Potentially.

HoMM2 was advantaging the magic (if you had a warlock, you could dispatch anyone with lightning bolt), HoMM3 is advantaging the might (take a beastmaster or a barbarian and magic heros will be crushed to nothing).

Now, if only...we could restore a true balance between them, by restraining magic heros from bodybuilding or plate armor concepts (offense/armorer) and restraining mights from learning mass spells concepts, well, then we would have a great game. And perfect.

So far, a skilled player will choose basically one of the 5-6 better mights and use 3-4 spells out from 67. Every game. This tells a lot on the game flaws.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”