Basic stealth

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
the_critical_process
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Basic stealth

Unread postby the_critical_process » 24 Feb 2006, 02:56

I'm not certain how one can gain xp using basic stealth. If I hire a new level 1 thief and approach near to but not adjacent to a level 1 mob, I still get the mob running up to me and attacking.
Art is a lie that helps us to see the truth

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 24 Feb 2006, 03:46

Yeah...I've noticed too that I seem to get 'caught' all the time, even when I've got advanced or better stealth. How exactly does it work?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Feb 2006, 04:05

It works just like it sais in the description.Problem is that AI can sense where you are so it will "accidentally" pass by you thus revealing your location.

the_critical_process
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby the_critical_process » 24 Feb 2006, 04:11

So basic stealth has no de facto effect on play? Why then do folks tout the bandit as an excellent scout/gofer? What can they do that other lev 1 mobs can't do?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Feb 2006, 04:16

They still can snatch artifacts and go through some tight spots where other units cant.

grumpy_dwarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby grumpy_dwarf » 24 Feb 2006, 04:32

at higher levels like GM they can sneak around any of the neutrals grabbing experience and well guarded treasure. Just make sure you don't end up with summoning that makes your party detectable on the next turn. Also make sure you don't end up to close to roving neutrals -- they can "bump" into you.

As your levels go up you can indeed sneak around higher and higher level enemy stacks (GM required for 4th level). One of the maps (campaign?) basically required you to get GM Stealth. That was the only feasible way to get around some huge Neutral stacks to win. That being said, I still go for the Chaos magic before adding a thief.....

the_critical_process
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby the_critical_process » 24 Feb 2006, 04:35

Yes but I'm asking about basic stealth. Basic stealth does not seem to allow you to sneak by level one creatures. If you move within it's threat range - but not adjacent - you still get attacked. So of what use is basic stealth?

the_critical_process
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby the_critical_process » 24 Feb 2006, 04:40

Wow I just noticed that a bandit can indeed sneak past level 1 creatures, but a hero with basic stealth cannot. Can anyone else confirm this?

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 24 Feb 2006, 05:06

The AI does not see your heroes with stealth (but if you stand right outside their town, they will hit you!) and you need lvl 2 stealth to sneak past lvl 1 creatures. Hero has to be on its own, too. You don't trigger the threat radius with lvl 1 stealth, but if you move within one square you trigger an attack.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Feb 2006, 07:56

the_critical_process wrote:Wow I just noticed that a bandit can indeed sneak past level 1 creatures, but a hero with basic stealth cannot. Can anyone else confirm this?
Bandits have advanced Stealth, which is what you need to sneak past (and gain XP from!) level 1 creatures.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 24 Feb 2006, 14:40

What basic stealth allows you to do is go into the "yellow area" around a level one troop. In other words, as the description says, you have to get right next to them before they'll attack you, whereas a hero without basic stealth would merely have to end the turn in their threat range.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 25 Apr 2006, 11:40

Psychobabble wrote:The AI does not see your heroes with stealth (but if you stand right outside their town, they will hit you!) and you need lvl 2 stealth to sneak past lvl 1 creatures. Hero has to be on its own, too. You don't trigger the threat radius with lvl 1 stealth, but if you move within one square you trigger an attack.
So basically one would always have to be a level higher than the creature one is attacking in order to sneak by them undetected? Or do one only have the ability to sneak by lvl 1 creatures?
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 25 Apr 2006, 11:49

Well if you attack a creature you won't sneak by them, you have to walk past to sneak by. But yeah, to sneak right by a creature you need Stealth 1 level higher than the creatures level.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 25 Apr 2006, 12:15

Interesting. And does this rule apply for Thieves too? (from Chaos) or is it just everyone else?
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Apr 2006, 16:32

It applies to everyone.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “Heroes I-IV”