New to Heroes IV

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Fewtger
Peasant
Peasant

New to Heroes IV

Unread postby Fewtger » 24 May 2009, 18:18

Hi,

so I've got the Heroes Complete box and decided to install HIV. First thing that strikes me is (obviously) how different it is from III and V.
So I started random map games (small maps), but for insurance I decided to play the only map which is 2-on-1, Harpy Horde.

Still, however I seem to suck badly, and cannot compete (with my ally) or with the opponent (who beats my ally).
So I was wondering if I could get some pointers for this map, so I can figure game-mechanics out for myself.

Not yet sure which faction I'm playing, though I've got a small preference for Nature and Summoning Magic. But just to be clear, I tend to like factions who use dirty tricks and abilities to win.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 25 May 2009, 10:56

You could give My Brother's Keeper a try. It has a tutorial function that gives you lots of combat tips.

Most important thing to note though is that your army's main asset is your hero ;)
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

bot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bot » 26 May 2009, 07:03

My Brother's Keeper is a difficult map for a beginner. To learn how to play he should try first easy maps and homm4 campaigns, like the order campaign with Emilia Nightheaven, played at easy level. To become a fan of this game first you have to be an acceptable player. This game is based on "heroes", not on creatures. To develop a hero or a combo of heroes is the most interesting part of the game.

SoRHunter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SoRHunter » 26 May 2009, 09:23

I advise on installing Equilibris Mod. Afterwards, you should do the first campaign (Life), so you can get the hang of the game.

Forget the easy setting altogether - you're not new to a Heroes game. You just need to get the hang of it. ;)

Lastly, you can always check this place or GameFAQs.com for a few tips, or you can go to http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... c4iv.shtml and feast on the information. ;)

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 27 May 2009, 05:03

The first map I played and won and thouroughly enjoyed was Big Wars. Nothing real fancy but lots of stuff and lots of fun. I base most of the H4 maps I made and make on this one. Just a real fun map to play. Not much in the way of storyliine or anything like that if that's what you want though. But simple in its nature of play and a good looking map too. A good "first map" to play.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 29 May 2009, 18:53

Hmm, never heard of "Big Wars"...could you perhaps send it to me? I'm always looking for new H4-maps to play :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 29 May 2009, 20:08

I PM'ed you my address for the map.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 29 May 2009, 20:13

Hmm, haven't gotten it yet Is the PM getting slow?
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 29 May 2009, 20:33

Is your email working? I tried sending you the map but I get the DAEMON thing. If not, write me at:
lightmage55 at yahoo dot com.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 31 May 2009, 22:06

Peachy. I tried the map out for a bit this morning. Lovely map so far. Enemy turns were killing my patience though!
- Dragon Age Origins

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 03 Jun 2009, 05:22

It's a good beginners map, and a good map to play if you never have played it. Vlaad II has a thread over on HC asking people the top 10 maps for H4. One of his own choices was also Big Wars. So, it has some validity among avid H4 players.
Yeah some turns are rather slow, but once you get past that, it's actually a fun map to play. Again, nuthin' real fancy about the map scriptwise, but well done.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 03 Jun 2009, 08:54

Well, until someone gets eliminated, I'm afraid it won't get any faster. I've been playing for quite some months now. But it's alright, it's worth the wait..
- Dragon Age Origins

Return to “Heroes I-IV”