Speeding up the game (Homm3)

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

Speeding up the game (Homm3)

Unread postby TheUnknown » 16 May 2009, 01:06

Well I know I've seen a guide to speed up the game by putting a new zero byte file in the data folder or something and name it for example landmine.mp3 so that the landmine has no sound thus casting of the spell takes much less time and speeds up gameplay.

I searched this forums and didn't find something similar so I am asking someone to post similar link or describe how to make that change.

If someone knows what are the names of the files for teleport on map, quicksand, fear and other long lasting sounds that can slow down gameplay pls post them.

I also think this kind of informations should be in the faq section or in other sticky topic.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 May 2009, 08:30

I don't think so that this is worthy of the effort but...
...you will need resedit to extract the sounds from archive and write back blank ones. I guess this is in heroes3.snd file, name will be related to the animations which you will see in h3sprite.lod

The known way how to speed up the game is to replace intro video by the blank one and to use modified cranim.txt file (speed up units animations)

And usually it's enough to put modified files back only to folder Data. It does work for all files from h3bitmap.lod (like the cranim)

PS The cranim.txt can be downloaded from the internet, every game version will be then having a specific one. Link is quite likely buried somewhere around...
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

Thank you very much

Unread postby TheUnknown » 16 May 2009, 11:51

I remember using cranim.txt some time ago it's very good, and blank video is a great idea too.

Thanks for the program too, I found a link for it yasterday but didn't know it was for sounds as many descriptions on the net say it's for extracting sprites : )

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 May 2009, 12:49

It's archive manager. ;)
(And truly can manage everything stuffed in.)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes I-IV”