Random Thoughts - Third Edition

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Mar 2009, 11:18

Driving home to Risør today; stopping off at some schools on the way to drop off my CV. Beautiful weather. The sun is shining and I've got my cool sunglasses on. B-)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Mar 2009, 11:28

Veldrynus wrote:You have a sister, eh? A musician, eh? How old is she? Had God blessed her with glorious outer beauty?
Remember that inner beauty is what matters most. You have to go through the outer one to get to it. If it was the outer the most important, it wouldn't have much fun. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 17 Mar 2009, 11:42

I can see it now - Kalah in his version of an old Southwest Airlines commercial:

CVs? check
Map of schools? check
Gas in the car? check
Cool shades? ON! B-)
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 17 Mar 2009, 16:12

Panda Tar wrote:
Veldrynus wrote:You have a sister, eh? A musician, eh? How old is she? Had God blessed her with glorious outer beauty?
Remember that inner beauty is what matters most. You have to go through the outer one to get to it. If it was the outer the most important, it wouldn't have much fun. :D
Inner beauty isn't much good if no-one is interested in the first place. And that's where glorious outer beauty comes in. If the inner beauty is in short supply, well, at least you had some fun with the outer one while finding out.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 17 Mar 2009, 18:14

Ethric wrote:Inner beauty isn't much good if no-one is interested in the first place. And that's where glorious outer beauty comes in. If the inner beauty is in short supply, well, at least you had some fun with the outer one while finding out.
Is that the same as "I don't have inner-handsomeness myself"?
What makes you think she will be interested then? :P
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 17 Mar 2009, 18:53

Panda Tar wrote: Remember that inner beauty is what matters most.
That's what all guys with ugly girlfriends say.

Why is it, that people automatically assume that they have "inner beauty" themselves?
Last edited by Veldrynus on 17 Mar 2009, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 17 Mar 2009, 18:54

I am both dashingly handsome and have an interesting personality. But that's neither here nor there. If you re-read what you quoted you will see that what I said was that looking good is preferable to not looking good, regardless of the existence or non-existence of inner beauty.
- Duke

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 17 Mar 2009, 18:58

I would also like to know a decent definition of "inner beauty", so I can prove that it isn't that beautiful nor attractive as people say.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 17 Mar 2009, 19:03

I know I'd find many people's definition of it terribly dull.
- Duke

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 17 Mar 2009, 19:48

Veldrynus wrote:I would also like to know a decent definition of "inner beauty", so I can prove that it isn't that beautiful nor attractive as people say.
You sound like ThunderTitan.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Mar 2009, 20:39

Now you've done it...
Veldrynus wrote: That's what all guys with ugly girlfriends say.

Wasn't it actually "i like her personality'...

Veldrynus wrote:Why is it, that people automatically assume that they have "inner beauty" themselves?

Because obviously they have never seen what their guts look like...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 17 Mar 2009, 21:28

ThunderTitan wrote:
No, they usually do not directly talk about their gf, because that would seem like an attempt to justify their "choice". Instead, they stick to seemingly random and general revelations:

"For me (contrary to other shallow lowlife) the inner values\personality is the most important! Afterall, beauty is not eternal!"

I say to them: "Marry a rock! Its outer beauty won't change during your lifetime, and it can posses all the great inner values you can imagine, without acting contrary to it. The rock is always honest, never lies, does not cheat on you, never hurts your feelings, does not hate your mother, never comes home drunk! The rock is the perfect mate for you!"

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 17 Mar 2009, 21:37

That's a little childish Vel...
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 17 Mar 2009, 21:56

Ethric wrote:I am both dashingly handsome and have an interesting personality. But that's neither here nor there. If you re-read what you quoted you will see that what I said was that looking good is preferable to not looking good, regardless of the existence or non-existence of inner beauty.
What I meant, in a sarcastic sorts of way, is that regardless of your inner-handsomeness or not, you feel 'safe' if you are indeed outer-handsome (at least by considered by majority anyway). I.e you have a certain security about yourself that even if you lack something, at least your "outer" handsomeness can obstruct the view (metaphorically speaking). This false sense of security and hope (since it's just an illusion anyway) is pretty dangerous when projected to others with very dissimilar situations, so that's why I made that sarcastic remark on it (since you implied how others think about or how they view others in a similar fashion).

@Ash: well, don't mind Vel that much, he likes to project his situation on others' and then hates them for being happy :P
Veldrynus wrote:"For me (contrary to other shallow lowlife) the inner values\personality is the most important! Afterall, beauty is not eternal!"
And trust me you will arrive at that similar moment when you mature into a grandpa 90 years of age :tongue:
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 17 Mar 2009, 22:20

Borsuc wrote:I.e you have a certain security about yourself that even if you lack something, at least your "outer" handsomeness can obstruct the view (metaphorically speaking). This false sense of security and hope (since it's just an illusion anyway) is pretty dangerous when projected to others with very dissimilar situations, so that's why I made that sarcastic remark on it (since you implied how others think about or how they view others in a similar fashion).
If you feel good about yourself because others like the way you look, how is that an illusion?
- Duke

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 17 Mar 2009, 22:45

Asheera wrote:That's a little childish Vel...
I wonder, what's so childish about it? :P

I only get such accusations, when people find my opinions offensive, but cannot argue against it.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Mar 2009, 23:49

And I sayeth unto thee: Vel was talking **** but still had a good case... :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 18 Mar 2009, 03:19

Ethric wrote:If you feel good about yourself because others like the way you look, how is that an illusion?
It's the sense of security in action. ;)
(I mean the stuff you do in experiments, also called 'placebo', only that in THIS case, you have a sense of being 'safe' rather than of a medicine healing you).
Veldrynus wrote:I only get such accusations, when people find my opinions offensive, but cannot argue against it.
Sometimes, to properly "argue" 'against' what you say, you have to.. you know, have the time to write an essay that no one will read, and it will get into oblivion as soon as a month. It's like asking a 90 year old why he doesn't play with Barbie dolls.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 18 Mar 2009, 08:50

If you have to write an essay to make a clear point, then you already failed. I also wonder, how can an opinion that goes against official, PC stereotypes be childish? How many ironically cynic children have you met?
Obviously, any married, older people would disagree with me, but most of them have no other option than to do so, otherwise their ego would be seriously damaged. Me on the other hand, I'm in a position to speak freely and honestly. This might change too, but that won't mean, that I've grown up.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Mar 2009, 10:36

Veldrynus wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:
No, they usually do not directly talk about their gf, because that would seem like an attempt to justify their "choice".
Yeah, it's so damn annoying...

I also wonder, how can an opinion that goes against official, PC stereotypes be childish?
How does going against PC stereotypes automatically make it "non-childish"?! Heck, even cynicism doesn't guarantee anything...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Campfire”