Movies

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Mar 2012, 11:40

Well, I've never really been into zombie movies, for whatever reason. Grossing me out, I suppose, or getting stuck in the "that's not scientifically possible" thoughts (I know, suspend your disbelief an' all that, but I just can't).

Right now I've gotten into Patrick Stewart movies; gotten hold of classics like Moby Dick and A Christmas carol. Desperately want "Fall of Eagles" where he plays Lenin - more or less his breakthrough role on screen..
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Apr 2012, 13:15

I still only see Captain Picard playing someone else... or changing his name to Xavier...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 29 May 2012, 19:44

Iron Sky is superawesome, everyone should go see it! :-D I expected a silly low-budget movie, but it was far better than I would imagined; a scifi-steampunk satirical actioncomedy with great special effects. A bit more work on a few sides of the script and it would be near perfect.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 May 2012, 23:33

Ah, yes ... I meant to watch Iron Sky, but work got in the way. Gotta see it. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Jun 2012, 16:49

A bit late but I recommend Megamind. That's on par with Wally and Wally is superb. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2012, 17:43

Ethric wrote:Iron Sky is superawesome, everyone should go see it! :-D I expected a silly low-budget movie, but it was far better than I would imagined; a scifi-steampunk satirical actioncomedy with great special effects. A bit more work on a few sides of the script and it would be near perfect.
Yeah, the script needed someone very very good at biting satire (a brit for sure) to make the most of it, but it was way better then expected, even if it never makes it to "so bad it's good" imo...

Would have never gotten my friend to go to the cinema for it though...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Jan 2013, 22:40

Lawrence of Arabia is on TV. The picture looks great - maybe it's a remastered version or something. :)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Jan 2013, 08:52

It was new years day yesterday, so we watched Ivanhoe. And then Robin Hood (with Errol Flynn).
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 02 Jan 2013, 09:21

Gaidal Cain wrote:And then Robin Hood (with Errol Flynn).
Lol - I watched Prince of Thieves yesterday

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jan 2013, 23:11

So, what did u guys think of the Hobbitses?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jan 2013, 01:00

Not sure I wanna see it until the trilogy is finished. Making a trilogy of such a small book is quite insane, I take it they did it to milk the franchise incorporate more elements from LotR as sort of a prequel?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 04 Jan 2013, 08:15

More like they fleshed out the parts that goes on besides the main plot - it seems there will some kind of arc with the White Council (Gandalf and the elves, and possibly Saruman) battling The Necromancer (a Ringwraith).

But yes, it seems like they could have made do with two movies, if would have just ignored this and went with what is actually in the book. Or just one, if they would have been willing to cut some material.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jan 2013, 11:05

Gaidal Cain wrote:The Necromancer (a Ringwraith).
The Necromancer is Sauron, although this is not revealed in The Hobbit.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 04 Jan 2013, 15:15

Doesn't look like that in the movie.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 04 Jan 2013, 15:24

Do not remember in which book or supplementary material it is said, but me too has always known that the necromancer in "Hobbit" is Sauron's spirit returning into mortal realm or something such. He was killed in last war when the ring was taken from him. His soul did not die however (because being part of the ring which was not destroyed?) and returned many years later and only gradually regained power.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jan 2013, 16:43

Gaidal Cain wrote:Doesn't look like that in the movie.
The wraith attacking Radagast was what the Necromancer was raising from the dead.
Pitsu wrote: His soul did not die however (because being part of the ring which was not destroyed?)
Also, because souls don't die...

After the ring was destroyed Sauron was still out there, he just didn't have enough power to ever reform a body etc...

Kalah wrote:Not sure I wanna see it until the trilogy is finished. Making a trilogy of such a small book is quite insane,
I like to think of it as skipping the normal version and just airing the extended one from the get-go...

Films where always too short for books, that's why they cut out a lot of stuff. I mean even the 10 episode long Game of Thrones season 1 didn't cover everything from the book...

Sure, it's ultimately about the money, but with a good team (and by using the appendixes from LotR) they can make 3 parts work.

My only problem was with adding Azog in it from the get go... they should have just waited until they got captured by the goblins and then show Bolg finding out about them... then use him to set up the battle of 5 armies for the last film.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 31 Jan 2013, 10:19

Live action or CGI? I'm not sure myself which would be better...
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ode-416956
"Losing isn't learning to be lost, it's learning to know when you're lost"
Idlewild, 'The Modern Way Of Letting Go'

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 05 Feb 2013, 00:51

Saw "Red" yesterday. Pretty good. :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Mar 2013, 23:31

Finally got myself to watch Iron Sky. Lame. So lame it's cool.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Nov 2013, 23:27

With Sean Connery retired, I just thought I should get hold of his collected works ... Since there is no such collection, I'll pick out the films I want and buy them. :)

Return to “Campfire”