Movies

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Mar 2009, 12:37

What were you expecting of that movie?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Mar 2009, 12:43

The same thing as Australia and The assassination of Jesse James by zzzzzz... They're too long-winded.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Mar 2009, 16:00

Watched the special edition of The Abyss (in three sittings!). I wasn't sure what to expect from that movie. There is a great atmosphere, decent acting, some very interesting underwater shots, but the typical Disney music of Cameron's movie was distracting and didn't fit the mood at all, and the ending was rather cheesy. A bit disappointed.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 04 Mar 2009, 21:56

Angelspit wrote:Watched the special edition of The Abyss (in three sittings!). I wasn't sure what to expect from that movie. There is a great atmosphere, decent acting, some very interesting underwater shots, but the typical Disney music of Cameron's movie was distracting and didn't fit the mood at all, and the ending was rather cheesy. A bit disappointed.
But still a pretty good movie. I saw it last year. Being quite old (already) I had pretty low expectations, but I ended up liking it quite a lot (so much that I didn't mind, and almost didn't feel, that it was stretched for more than 2 and a half hours IIRC).

Now I gotta go and rent some of the movies parcaleste mentioned... :)
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 04 Mar 2009, 22:12

I dare you people to watch this film, without skipping any parts of it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6807585942
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Mar 2009, 11:28

Zamolxis wrote:
Angelspit wrote:Watched the special edition of The Abyss (in three sittings!). I wasn't sure what to expect from that movie. There is a great atmosphere, decent acting, some very interesting underwater shots, but the typical Disney music of Cameron's movie was distracting and didn't fit the mood at all, and the ending was rather cheesy. A bit disappointed.
But still a pretty good movie. I saw it last year. Being quite old (already) I had pretty low expectations, but I ended up liking it quite a lot (so much that I didn't mind, and almost didn't feel, that it was stretched for more than 2 and a half hours IIRC).

Now I gotta go and rent some of the movies parcaleste mentioned... :)
What's new with that special edition? I watched that movie back in 92 or 93 me thinks and found it rather nice. Although the ending was a bit...hum...
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 05 Mar 2009, 15:57

parcaleste wrote:And finally last night we watched the British 1990 classic "the Witches". This movie just kicks all of the Harry Potters and "Lord of the Rings" laclusters in their arses goodbye (not to mention Rowan Atkinson's participation in it :D ).[/i]
Harry Poter -- maybe.
LotR -- not even close. I mean even the "settings" and atmosphere are different, and in a bad way for The Witches (as I'm not a fan of that kind of magic). Plus it ain't that great overall as realization (strangely imdb somewhat agrees with me :| rare occurence).
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 05 Mar 2009, 16:46

Panda Tar wrote:What's new with that special edition?
It's even longer than the theatrical edition, but I can't say what they added, but I felt that some scenes were a bit too long or pointless.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 06 Mar 2009, 06:01

No one here talking about Watchmen? I'm going to first showing on Friday.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 06 Mar 2009, 14:19

Friends of mine saw it. They weren't happy though...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 06 Mar 2009, 14:28

I'll see Watchmen. Just read the comic.

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 07 Mar 2009, 02:50

I've seen it today and thought it was OK.
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 07 Mar 2009, 09:59

Veldrynus wrote:I dare you people to watch this film, without skipping any parts of it:

Just curious... is this the kind of stuff you are usually watching? :p
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Mar 2009, 19:57

Just watching Batman on Blu-ray. The original, you know. Better Batman than Bale, not as good a villain as Ledger.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Mar 2009, 20:50

Veldrynus wrote:I dare you people to watch this film, without skipping any parts of it:

How about skipping all of it after the first 2 seconds?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Mar 2009, 21:26

Watching Airplane II: The Sequel. It's not the same without Leslie Nielsen acting and Abrahams and the Zuckers behind the wheels, but still amusing.

Good old Lloyd Bridges :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 15 Mar 2009, 23:32

Zamolxis wrote:

Just curious... is this the kind of stuff you are usually watching? :p
This is stuff I have to watch and like. :P

I had a heated argument with one of my teachers, after I dared to say that films like this are empty, self-serving, pseudo intellectual junk.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Mar 2009, 11:22

Heated arguments are always helpful. Specially on cold days.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Mar 2009, 16:46

Just started watching The Blue Planet. It is a serious piece of work; a true marvel, indeed a work of genius.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 Mar 2009, 17:36

...so it's one of them boring movies?
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Return to “Campfire”