Movies

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Moderators, Celestial Heavens Staff

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23266
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Feb 20 2009, 8:19

Kalah wrote:and replaced him with Hayden Christensen.


I see the words, but for the life of me i can't tell what they spell... something blasphemous would be my guess....


Borsuc wrote: I said that it is sometimes good (the beginning) but THEN it becomes predictable.


Wow, you figured out the alien was gonna start killing them off one by one?! Your IQ must be at least 2 digits... :rolleyes:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Image

User avatar
Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2218
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby Borsuc » Feb 20 2009, 15:49

Jolly Joker wrote:If you had only watched 2 or 3 movies, how can something be PREDICTABLE then? Apart from the fact that when you take your seat in front of your TV you know what you are watching - there will be victims, and probably they all are going to die except one or two. Of course THAT is predictable. And of course it's predictable that people ARE dying WHEN they are dying - that's part of the thrill. They HAVE to do something (can't just go back sleeping, can they?) and they SHOULD do something as long as it is small. Not to mention Ash and the interest of the Corp to get their hands on the specimen. I mean, if you watch a vampire movie there will be some blood-sucking, right?
So what do you MEAN with "predictable"?
Knowing when a kill will take place, margin of error ~30 seconds... that's kinda predictable.

This is, of course, after the "first kill" so to speak (the first part of Alien was decent).

Jolly Joker wrote:Look to Kalah's post. You may not like a movie or even FIND it crappy, but that doesn't mean it IS crappy, just because YOU happen to think so. Look at Kalah's two examples.
I can say whatever I want. You say that it is NOT crappy, that is a claim. Or if everyone says that God exists, I can say that he doesn't (just an example). I can make claims as well. In fact A LOT of people would make this same claim, if people like you wouldn't bully them to "shut up" and "don't be honest, just say it's good!". because, you know, they'll be considered 'weirdos', even though if they had the honesty they would probably be around 30% or more on SOME movies (not Alien, which was a good classic, but NOT as good as the hype is about).

And the "greatness" of a film is subjective. I can say whatever I want to consider it, you can (and others) say as well, I don't tell you to NOT say that Alien was the best movie ever (just an example). Unless, of course, you have access to some greato-meter that can measure this and it is hidden for me.

Why would a movie be great when it isn't entertaining? (mind you, this means any emotion it is designed for: sadness, horror, action, thrill, etc etc... depending on movie)

Jolly Joker wrote:No, it hasn't got anything to do with genres. T2 is a popcorn-eater; Terminator is a nail-biter, it's as simple as that. T2 has a couple of really "cool" scenes - it's Arnie entertaining mom, dad and the whole family, fathering and protecting mom and child - actually every 12-year-old would like something like a Terminator-doggie: imagine what the classmates would say! It's a 100 million dollar family action spectacle where part of that 100 million bucks would leave you watching with eyes and mouth wide open, losing popcorn (20 years ago, of course; now it's not that spectacular anymore). It's Hollywood - at its best, of course, but it's done with softener. It IS probably the best sequel for a brillant original movie, but that's because of the "trick" to switch sides. Note that the T-800 is something like #48 or so in the list of best heroes of all times, but like #22 or so in the villain list! (the only one ranking in both).
In other words, it's Action movie, while the original is a Thriller movie. So yeah genres :P

What do you consider genre anyway?

Jolly Joker wrote:and you are wrong, I do like a good comedy. MASH, for example, is a great movie. Some of the old screwball comedies are cool, most Monty Pythons are hilarious, I even found dumb and dumber pretty amusing. Or even The Mask. A comedy wants you to laugh; there's nothing wrong with a good laugh.
I never said you don't like comedies, why would I speak for you anyway? I said I am not too fond of comedies myself; analogous to the fact that you may not like other genres (hypothetically speaking). For example, people who like action will enjoy T2 better than T1. Doesn't mean YOU will. You may enjoy some comedies but I rarely like them, if they're not extremely good (I have a very hard to satisfy need here... :P).

ThunderTitan wrote:Wow, you figured out the alien was gonna start killing them off one by one?! Your IQ must be at least 2 digits... :rolleyes:
How about knowing exactly when a killing takes place, give or take 15 seconds?
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

User avatar
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3316
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Jolly Joker » Feb 20 2009, 16:57

Borsuc wrote:Knowing when a kill will take place, margin of error ~30 seconds... that's kinda predictable.
If you think that the kills as such are important in that movie and the knowledge that someone will be killed within the next minute makes the movie predictable you simply didn't understand what the movie is all about. That's of course a possibility, and come to think of it, it looks even probable.

Jolly Joker wrote:Look to Kalah's post. You may not like a movie or even FIND it crappy, but that doesn't mean it IS crappy, just because YOU happen to think so.
I can say whatever I want. ..
Why would a movie be great when it isn't entertaining? [/quote]Look, a lot of people HAVE BEEN entertained by that movie, so what you say is simply not in line with the facts. So while you say what you want - and so that - and while you can even say as much bull as you want - and do that-, you don't exactly convey the impression that what you are saying is based on everything else than a very personal view.
Which means that YOU don't like it. But it just doesn't suck just because you say it does. You have no reasons either. It sucks. Soundtrack sucks. Predictable. Not entertaining. Sheesh.
Jolly Joker wrote:No, it hasn't got anything to do with genres. T2 is a popcorn-eater; Terminator is a nail-biter, it's as simple as that. T2 has a couple of really "cool" scenes - it's Arnie entertaining mom, dad and the whole family, fathering and protecting mom and child - actually every 12-year-old would like something like a Terminator-doggie: imagine what the classmates would say! It's a 100 million dollar family action spectacle where part of that 100 million bucks would leave you watching with eyes and mouth wide open, losing popcorn (20 years ago, of course; now it's not that spectacular anymore). It's Hollywood - at its best, of course, but it's done with softener. It IS probably the best sequel for a brillant original movie, but that's because of the "trick" to switch sides. Note that the T-800 is something like #48 or so in the list of best heroes of all times, but like #22 or so in the villain list! (the only one ranking in both).
In other words, it's Action movie, while the original is a Thriller movie. So yeah genres :P
This seems to indicate that you have a serious problem with reading other people's posts.

Jolly Joker wrote: For example, people who like action will enjoy T2 better than T1.
Will they? So what IS action then? Blasting money?
ZZZzzzz....

User avatar
Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2218
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby Borsuc » Feb 20 2009, 17:42

Jolly Joker wrote:If you think that the kills as such are important in that movie and the knowledge that someone will be killed within the next minute makes the movie predictable you simply didn't understand what the movie is all about. That's of course a possibility, and come to think of it, it looks even probable.
Ok let me rephrase that.
You know the hype I'm talking about? comments like "OMG STUPID ALIEN IS LIKE THE MOST AWESOME MOVIE EVER AND MADE ME JUMP OUT OF MY CHAIR. NO OTHER MOVIE DID THIS STUPID!" or stuff like that.

regardless of whether you like it or not, people like above compose the MAJORITY of the votes. Some do it because they're newbies, others because it's how their friend told them to (otherwise they would be 'weirdos'), etc...

Jolly Joker wrote:Look, a lot of people HAVE BEEN entertained by that movie, so what you say is simply not in line with the facts. So while you say what you want - and so that - and while you can even say as much bull as you want - and do that-, you don't exactly convey the impression that what you are saying is based on everything else than a very personal view.
When did I say it's more than that? Of course, let's say, for people who like silence instead of music, I would still say the soundtrack sucks, but it doesn't mean for those people it sucks if they like silence.

However what I was talking about is that many people are not honest about it. Not on this board mind you, but those with comments like above. They either "hear it from friends", "watch it with expectations/bias" or simply do not want to pose their own "I didn't find it that great to be honest" to be bombarded with "OMG you're a weirdo!". In fact, this is a chain reaction, just the expectancy that everyone thinks it's good.

Jolly Joker wrote:Which means that YOU don't like it. But it just doesn't suck just because you say it does. You have no reasons either. It sucks. Soundtrack sucks. Predictable. Not entertaining. Sheesh.
Just like we have no reason of saying Uwe Boll sucks?
How expensive is a sucks-o-meter?

Jolly Joker wrote:This seems to indicate that you have a serious problem with reading other people's posts.
I just summed up what you said in what I consider the two distinct genres. What's so "serious problem" about it? :|

Jolly Joker wrote:Will they? So what IS action then? Blasting money?
No, it's action. The thrill of action or "lol man this guy is gonna take them all" or "coolness" factor depending on how awesome it looks (such as Gangsta Style and Rule Of Cool). May include badasses as that's what action-people want to see, may include a One Man Army scene because that usually involves some badass to wipe the floor with enemies (Terminator 2 minigun scene). Or plainly just long or frequent action-scenes and fights instead of drama. Granted T2 had a lot of drama as well, but was more focused comparatively (ratio) on action than T1.

Action scenes usually require a big budget to make them look cool enough. So yeah usually they need money to work out well.

You can read that site for further details -- I don't really need to explain all that here do I? It would take me an entire book :P

Of course there are also other genres, such as drama or comedy but I only explained action.
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

User avatar
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3316
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Jolly Joker » Feb 20 2009, 21:46

So your whole point is you have to take fan reactions with a grain of salt? Brillant.
ZZZzzzz....

User avatar
Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2218
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby Borsuc » Feb 20 2009, 22:16

Depends on the fans. Frankly, it's hard to judge it, but I wouldn't even take into account the "sheep ratings" so to speak. For example, one dude liked movie A and others say "perfectly agree man". If this is the majority, huge chance that someone average or undecided will "follow up" like a sheep. Mind you this can come in the other way as well -- for crappy movies when they "take others down with him" so to speak. The ORIGINAL reviewer/fan/critic is the only one worth in his full opinion here. I hate to judge by majority because most are sheep :P

Then again, no matter how crappy the movie is, if it sells a lot, the producer is usually happy :P
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

User avatar
Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6274
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Location: Where Luna is: in the jacket

Postby Milla aka. the Slayer » Feb 20 2009, 22:43

Saw five movies this week:

- Tropic Thunder - Awesome!!
- Lars and the real girl - Funny as hell.
- Be kind Rewind - just splendid.
- Get smart - meh...it's a bore.
- Hellboy II - Surprisingly good!

:D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

User avatar
winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6191
Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Location: Puerto Rico

Postby winterfate » Feb 20 2009, 23:06

Any of you seen Disaster Movie yet?

It's the 850439850th parody movie with the same general idea, but it's decent. Then again, I'm easy to please when it comes to comedies... :)

I also saw Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, about two weeks ago or so. Epic! That's all that can be said. It's equal parts love story/beatdown/story filler. :D
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

User avatar
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot
Posts: 6707
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Location: Florianópolis - Brasil

Postby Panda Tar » Feb 20 2009, 23:55

Last movie I've watched was The Orfanage (Spanish movie) - it's a good movie, although I don't fancy much those sort of mental sickness, which reminds me of my mother's problem.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

User avatar
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2704
Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere deep in the Caribbean...
Contact:

Postby Metathron » Feb 21 2009, 15:49

winterfate wrote:Any of you seen Disaster Movie yet?

It's the 850439850th parody movie with the same general idea, but it's decent. Then again, I'm easy to please when it comes to comedies... :)



Oh my, I thought it was horrible. An awful, awful piece of junk. I enjoyed the first two Scary movies, and parts of the other two, but their later "works" such as this, or Meet the Spartans, just goes beyond idiotic. It's just random scenes without any thought behind them. Though I did quite like the Amy Winehouse spoof.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

User avatar
Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2218
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby Borsuc » Feb 21 2009, 17:11

winterfate wrote:I also saw Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, about two weeks ago or so. Epic! That's all that can be said. It's equal parts love story/beatdown/story filler. :D
Is that after Underworld: Evolution or am I on a different track? I didn't even know there was another one.
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

User avatar
Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2513
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Inside your head!

Postby Veldrynus » Feb 23 2009, 5:33

So, the Slumdog Millionaire takes everything...

I feel sorry about Mickey Rourke. He deserved to win.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23266
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Feb 23 2009, 8:50

I'm glad Ben Button didn't get any important awards... man that movie dragged on... and what kind of message is it to abandon your family because you will be 18 when your kid is 12... especially since she ended up taking care of him as a kid anyway...

Well at least now i know that Jon Stewart was right...

Also, Oscar opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKvpDV5tc8I
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!

I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €


Image

User avatar
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 5475
Joined: 27 Aug 2006

Postby Elvin » Feb 23 2009, 13:47

That was for the kid to have a proper father figure. Though it did look kinda...weird. And yes it did not make much sense how nobody seemed surprised about his age.

Hugh Jackman rocks B-)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

User avatar
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 2014
Joined: 24 May 2006
Location: US

Postby PhoenixReborn » Feb 23 2009, 14:24

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:- Be kind Rewind - just splendid.


But...but why?

User avatar
Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20036
Joined: 24 Nov 2005

Postby Kalah » Feb 23 2009, 15:00

I bought three films on Amazon last week; Sideways, Good night and good luck, and a Wallace & Grommit DVD. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

User avatar
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 4009
Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Postby darknessfood » Feb 23 2009, 16:28

Tonight it's time to watch the only Bond movie I didn't saw. Die another Day :)! Looking forward to it already :D!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

User avatar
Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20036
Joined: 24 Nov 2005

Postby Kalah » Feb 23 2009, 16:38

Oh God...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

User avatar
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 4009
Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Postby darknessfood » Feb 23 2009, 17:14

Wha tis it, bond hating beard man?
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

User avatar
Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20036
Joined: 24 Nov 2005

Postby Kalah » Feb 23 2009, 18:54

It's the second worst Bond movie ever... an affront to a row of thrilling movies.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.


Return to “Campfire”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests