How long does it take you to go to work or school?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

How long does it take you to go to work/school?

Less than 10 minutes
32%
10 - 30 minutes
36%
30 - 45 minutes
24%
60 - 90 minutes
8%
More than one hour and a half
No votes

Total votes: 25

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 31 Aug 2008, 19:51

20 min by bus + about 5 min of walk.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 01 Sep 2008, 02:26

Vote 45-60 minutes.
Depending on traffic. Like friday evening when everyone decided to play "Red Light, Green Light" on the freeway. :vomit:
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 01 Sep 2008, 03:03

That's why I take the long way to work (30 minutes instead of 25) on purpose. Saves me some headaches when people decide to drive stupid.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 03 Sep 2008, 04:08

That is the "long" way. If I made it any longer, I'd have to start waking up earlier. And that's just not going to happen.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 03 Sep 2008, 22:17

Great poll...
Just like Ethric, it takes me 2-3 minutes to walk, still I used to call my girlfriend during the walking home, since it's always midnight or later.

But I feel the pain of those who travel an hour, since on the university there was a year when I needed near an hour to get there, both with walking, both with bus, and a listened to music than.
Angelspit wrote:I've heard horror stories of 2.5+ hour commute times, but I hope it's not your case.
I've heard those too. From what I know, in Japan the general travel time is around 2 hours, but I don't know if the forth and back time or just the one-way.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 04 Sep 2008, 11:57

Currently, the typical train-train connection takes excatly 28 minutes from my front door to my workplace, 5.5 kilometres away. If the commuter train is late, the amount of time used will increase to a total 40 minutes. Which isn't much either considering the fact that I used to work in a company that was 35 kilometres away requiring me to use train-subway-bus connection and 2 hours (one-way trip) just to get there. Add 8 hours of rough physical labour and you'll admit that such a job isn't really worth the effort. Which it surely wasn't, I left the said company right away after my contract with them expired.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 05 Sep 2008, 01:04

Geez Yurian... I guess you didn't needed sleeping pills after such days.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 08 Sep 2008, 13:40

Hehe, you're quite right there, Muszka. I remember being very tired after coming home from a hard day's work. It didn't take me too long to fall asleep after having had something to eat. As it usually was past 11.30 pm when I finally arrived from work, the term "dinner" isn't in line here, not with its usual meaning. It was more of a "Midnight snack". And that was my main meal of the day. Can't say I much miss those days. The more I think of it, the more it makes me want to praise my current job.
The "salary" is much smaller now but the working atmosphere remains much more enjoyable. And that means a lot.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 08 Sep 2008, 23:05

You know, the key to the success is to enjoy your work... and a long traveling time will certainly doesn't helps, even with more money. :)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 11 Sep 2008, 20:48

I go to work by foot. Take around 10 minutes. When it was at the previous site, it took me around 25 minutes.

In São Paulo, it's very common people spending 3-4 hours (yeah, almost 1/3 of the day in buses, trains...) to go to work. So they wake up around 4-5 A.M. to arrived at work at 8-9.

Some interviews show that they study during the trip so they just don't lose time that way.

It's saddening. I get frustated if I have to spend 1 hour or so to go to work.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 12 Sep 2008, 03:46

3-4 hours? That's a nightmare...

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 12 Sep 2008, 04:08

At that point it's time to move closer to your place of employment. Or find employment closer to home.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 12 Sep 2008, 04:14

Sometimes it's impossible... and it might be a good job with a well-worth salary.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 12 Sep 2008, 05:48

Zamolxis wrote:
Pol wrote:Still more than half of hour. And still working on that...
I read that and pictured Pol driving every day more and more dangerous, trying to break his own record of getting to work in the shortest way possible... :)
I'm myself not in haste, that is more question of pure luck, starting from my home always at the same time and let being yourself suprised when I will ocme at place. Measuring that by air line I'm very close. Taking that by bus...
theLuckyDragon wrote:20 minutes by bus, 30 if there's traffic in town. I usually look out the window.
LOL. Yeah, what else can you do in a crowdy Romanian bus? It's deffinetly not the place to read a book or sth. But IIRC you live in Cluj, and I can imagine you have at least sth to look at. I cross half of Brussels on my way to work, but the views are so boring (not to mention that half of the trip is underground).
You may also watch people travelling with you, or in cars. That's certainly can be more amusing than "greyed" horizonts of the town. What about that?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 12 Sep 2008, 07:06

I look at people as they get on the bus. And when I say I look out the window, I mean I look at everything that's out there, people on the streets, in cars, in other buses, in their balconies... :rofl:
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 13 Sep 2008, 03:15

You could start a thread to tell us stories from your travels... especially ones with the balconies... :devious:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Sep 2008, 12:05

Muszka wrote:Sometimes it's impossible... and it might be a good job with a well-worth salary.
If they had a better salary, they would surely move closer. That's about urban sprawl, bad job qualification and pooverty. Big cities in Brazil are always like that.

If you're poor, you're most likely to travel 1-2 hours to your work, because that's where you can afford a good place to live.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Return to “Campfire”