PC problems thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 May 2008, 18:15

If you mean sdram like a Synchronous Dynamic RAM then its limited by your motherboard bios. Fully.

As for the chips they are manufactered even as 1GB modules. But I would recommend to forget them and get new board+processor+dram memory like many times effectivier and also best value solution.

In one moment here was indeed a situation when 2GB of sdram cost more than board+proc+2GB of dram combo. Market is an outstanding thing. :D

Now it's not a true, but sdram is passe anyway.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 27 May 2008, 21:51

Oh. I knew that it's limited, by I didn't knew the exact level. Can that bios setting be changed?

As for forgetting, I have such a machine brought years ago, and I still use it in my pub, and it works wonderfully to me. I don't need a better one, and I already bought some SDRAM very cheaply for it.

AS for those on the image, I wonder if they are SD or not since SDs have two cuts on the bottom, one in the middle and one between the central cut and the edge.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 28 May 2008, 06:22

Ups. The list in the link is mixed unfortunatelly. BIOS can be reflashed, if there's newer version. Here is unlikely to be such setting affecting the size.

To summ it shortly. Here's the highest memory from Kingston. And it still cost the same price like a cheap brand new computer (just checked that).
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 28 May 2008, 16:40

Ouch.... $200-300 for 1GB... that's unbelievable.... I bought 512 for about $30 and it's Kingston too. So indeed why to buy a new 1GB SD-RAM when you need to update your BIOS too, and take unnecessary risks when for such price I can buy a PC in my country which can handle even HoMM5.
I don't see the trick here.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 28 May 2008, 17:49

Muszka wrote: I don't see the trick here.
That is simple. Here's none. :D
"We made it!"

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 28 May 2008, 20:13

A simple question: How often do you reinstall Windows?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 28 May 2008, 20:32

Pol wrote: "Every" 32bits system can utilize up to 4GB. And will show 3.5, rest will be hidden. It doesn't matter if it will be WinXP 32bits or Vista Superultimate 32bits. Until here isn't 64bits on play, here always will be 4GB limit.

(32bits linux can utilize more, w98 probably effectively till 2GB. Limit can be on both sides - software memory map and hw side of course too.)
Righto, thanks.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 29 May 2008, 05:05

Muszka wrote:A simple question: How often do you reinstall Windows?
My own?
An average value would be probably once in two years, or less. Mostly when I something install and froze, it works forever.

(froze means that no more criticall applications are added later)
"We made it!"

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Jul 2008, 02:13

Can anybody recommend a good wireless router with good security features, not too expensive, and compatible with a Mac and a PC?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 09 Jul 2008, 12:55

Pol wrote:"Every" 32bits system can utilize up to 4GB. And will show 3.5, rest will be hidden. It doesn't matter if it will be WinXP 32bits or Vista Superultimate 32bits. Until here isn't 64bits on play, here always will be 4GB limit.
I think that the limit is only in the application layer (mapping). That means, you can have 16GB RAM (example) and 4 applications with 4GB each. That is a trick some programmers use in their hobby operating systems -- but I don't know if Windows knows the trick? ;|
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 09 Jul 2008, 12:58

Last night a strange event took place. I shut down my computer, and then after 1-2 seconds it just turned on by itself! :| Does anyone know what could be the cause?
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 09 Jul 2008, 17:44

Corribus wrote:Can anybody recommend a good wireless router with good security features, not too expensive, and compatible with a Mac and a PC?
They will be all compatible, no need to worry - configuration is always done via the web interface.

This is depending on what do you want, let say 90% which are on market will suffice (D-Link, Zyxel, Edimax, Belkin & many others established trademarks)

Almost all will suffice. :D
(today)
...I don't know if Windows knows the trick
...they doesn't.
Last night a strange event took place. I shut down my computer, and then after 1-2 seconds it just turned on by itself! confused Does anyone know what could be the cause?
Short time overvoltage? This is one of thing which can cause "wake on". Or some appl. which (temporarily) changed "turn off" to restart.
"We made it!"

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 09 Jul 2008, 17:46

Pol wrote:
Last night a strange event took place. I shut down my computer, and then after 1-2 seconds it just turned on by itself! confused Does anyone know what could be the cause?
Short time overvoltage? This is one of thing which can cause "wake on". Or some appl. which (temporarily) changed "turn off" to restart.
I'm sure it was no application that changed turn off to restart. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't a restart either, since the power LED of my computer turned off for a second or two.

So I guess it was a Short time overvoltage then
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Old_Man
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Old_Man » 17 Jul 2008, 10:49

I sometimes have that. For me, it's a setting in the BIOS which first tests to see if everything is working when I turn it on. After about 5 or so seconds, it turns off and then I simply turn it back on. I find it pretty useful.
I make music because I want to, not because I have to.

If you don't have fun doing something then it's best to move onto something else.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 17 Jul 2008, 11:54

It happened last night again :disagree:

Old_Man
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Old_Man » 17 Jul 2008, 12:07

Have you checked for possible viruses on your computer? Perhaps that might be the problem. :)

If you don't have fun doing something then it's best to move onto something else.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 17 Jul 2008, 12:50

Viruses are programs, right? How can a program start the computer when Windows or any OS is not even loaded? :|

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 17 Jul 2008, 12:58

Asheera wrote:Viruses are programs, right? How can a program start the computer when Windows or any OS is not even loaded? :|
It can corrupt your BIOS... :disagree:

Old_Man
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Old_Man » 17 Jul 2008, 13:23

Asheera wrote:Viruses are programs, right? How can a program start the computer when Windows or any OS is not even loaded? :|
Not all Viruses are programs. The way they act can be like a program but the main purpose is usually to infect other files. The deadlier viruses affect vital Windows components.

I dunno if it could corrupt a BIOS since the BIOS is not on the hard drive. It is on the motherboard and runs separately from the hard drive. An example would be if you don't have an OS installed on the hard drive, notice how the BIOS still comes up at the start? That's because it isn't on the Hard drive. ;)

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 17 Jul 2008, 13:32

I know the BIOS is not on the Hard Drive. That's why I think a virus can't start the computer (when it's turned off). Or am I wrong?

Return to “Campfire”