PC problems thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 10 May 2008, 12:54

Good choice PhR, I instantly presume, that you'll never return to IE. I never use any program, what is integrated in Windows. If I want anything, I search for a better one, since it's not so hard to find... :) Only if that Linux would be a bit more user friendly and more popular..... :disagree:
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 10 May 2008, 21:13

Angelspit wrote:My turn: two years ago the fan of my Radeon 9800 Pro started making strange noises inside my Dell, right after I turned on the computer most of the time. I didn't worry too much about it and after a while I started having weird pixels in my games and after a discussion with tech support, I realized the card was dying.

A couple of days later I found a used Radeon 9800 on eBay and picked it up (the Radeon is one of the few cards that's suitable for my weak power supply, so that's why I sticked to that model). And I spent the next couple of months playing games without any problem.

Flashforward to a few weeks ago: I started hearing the very same fan noise, once again. I decided to clean the fan myself with a Q-tip before the situation got any worse, thinking dust might be causing this, but it didn't help.

What's the problem here? Do you guys clean your video card fans on a monthly basis? Or is it that a video card cannot last more than two years?
If it's only the fan, why don't you just replace it with a new one?
Or you could get a new and better heatsink, like this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835118216
either fanless or with this fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... Tpk=ZM-OP1

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 10 May 2008, 22:45

darknessfood wrote:Muzka, what is the big differents between FF and IE7? Cause i never had ANY problem with the second one :S
Aside things that Pol mentioned - there are more crittical sequrity holes in IE7 than in FF2.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 May 2008, 23:57

Not really a problem, but a question - and a dumb question maybe.

I want to increase the HD space on my laptop as I'm feeling pinched by my current capacity. I was thinking of buying a USB external drive (something like this maybe). My question is - if I want to install games onto it, will I notice a slowdown since it's through a USB port? Or am I better off only installing games on my internal drive?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 22 May 2008, 09:38

Corribus wrote: I want to increase the HD space on my laptop as I'm feeling pinched by my current capacity. I was thinking of buying a USB external drive (something like this maybe). My question is - if I want to install games onto it, will I notice a slowdown since it's through a USB port? Or am I better off only installing games on my internal drive?

99% that internal would be faster. Most likely 2x faster. But to be sure, you need to check your internal drive info.
Theoretical USB2.0 limit is 60MByte/s, actual limit - ~45. Internal drives interface (SATA) doesnt limit them for now, so they are running on current max. Which is about ~100Mbyte/s

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 24 May 2008, 14:54

I wanted to report back that using CCleaner fixed the icon problem in IE7. An accidental fix. :applause:

Mozilla FF is still better for downloading files off the net without changing them.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 May 2008, 16:29

Good to hear that. ;)

________
No mercy!
~Baba Yaga

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 26 May 2008, 00:27

Well, got myself FireFox just a few minutes. Not bad, really. This forum goes like a speedtrain!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 26 May 2008, 00:31

I'm so happy that I helped in spreading the FireFox virus... :D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 26 May 2008, 00:32

:lolu: nah, it'spretty good. Loads really fast! Thanks for the tip :)!

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 26 May 2008, 00:35

So from now on you can accept my advices.. :devious:

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 26 May 2008, 00:37

Will do, if they make sense :D!

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 26 May 2008, 14:41

Does win xp have problems utilizing more than 2gb RAM, or was that win 98? Or did I misunderstand the entire thing?

Because I am pondering, now that I'm getting a new HD, if I should go with XP or Vista, and I have 4gb RAM.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 26 May 2008, 14:52

Well, it depends on the machine as well. If i were you, just go for XP, much more reliable then Vista, and the ram memory shouldn't matter...

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 26 May 2008, 15:25

Ethric wrote:Does win xp have problems utilizing more than 2gb RAM, or was that win 98? Or did I misunderstand the entire thing?

Because I am pondering, now that I'm getting a new HD, if I should go with XP or Vista, and I have 4gb RAM.
As far as I know XP doesn't have problems with 2GB RAM, in fact the limiting is from the side of the RAM. I mean, for example SD ram has a limit of 512, so for to know the limit first we should know the type of the RAM you have.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 26 May 2008, 17:45

Ethric wrote:Does win xp have problems utilizing more than 2gb RAM, or was that win 98?.
"Every" 32bits system can utilize up to 4GB. And will show 3.5, rest will be hidden. It doesn't matter if it will be WinXP 32bits or Vista Superultimate 32bits. Until here isn't 64bits on play, here always will be 4GB limit.

(32bits linux can utilize more, w98 probably effectively till 2GB. Limit can be on both sides - software memory map and hw side of course too.)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 26 May 2008, 21:03

Huh, so I had come to how to create list of files in directory:

Code: Select all

dir *.mp3 >list.txt
(Although I'm using different way for ages by right click menu, SendTo -> Copy filename to clipboard)

Afterward copy final list of files (from many places to just one)

Code: Select all

for /f %a in ('type LIST.TXT') do copy %a C:\NEWPATH
(Thanks, yahoo answers. Paths in list must be without spaces and in ")

Rename files by folders where they are dwell. -> With Genial-Renamer
(beware it will rename everyhing, so have pilled up only files with one extension)

Remove spaces in files and folders recursively. -> Lupus Renamer

Copy row of files to another place with maximum speed and convenience.-> TeraCopy
(will replace standart Explorer copy, big plus)

Do a search for files and save it like database catalog for later use. -> Saleen ScanFS
(In other words get back this future from Win98. I bet Vista can do it to with some virtual folder "stamp".)

Be very afraid of using so much utilites for getting out just such a basic funcionality.
(Again I think Vista can potencially do that all but Microsoft is certainly not boasting about.)

Extract several archives into theirs respective folders by one click with use of 7-zip.

______
IT Soup.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 26 May 2008, 22:05

@Pol
Nice list(ing) :)
Limiting doesn't depends on the type too?
Also have you any idea how could I make the background of my image transparent, I mean to be adaptive to the theme.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 May 2008, 05:39

Muszka wrote: Limiting doesn't depends on the type too?
It can. That's the nice think with the computer. You can create barriers and then overcome them with nifty software approach.
Also have you any idea how could I make the background of my image transparent, I mean to be adaptive to the theme.
Use gif or png format. Png knows alpha transparency but older IE doesn't work with it as it correctly. Gif is only transparent however works everywhere. Good program to manipulate with is IrfanView - it will ask you when you will be saving which color should become transparent. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 27 May 2008, 12:49

Pol wrote:It can. That's the nice think with the computer. You can create barriers and then overcome them with nifty software approach.
Do you know some-kind of software which would enable to me, to use more than 512 SD RAM? ;|
Pol wrote:Use gif or png format. Png knows alpha transparency but older IE doesn't work with it as it correctly. Gif is only transparent however works everywhere. Good program to manipulate with is IrfanView - it will ask you when you will be saving which color should become transparent. ;)
Yipiayyey... I use IrfanView from the really beginning, I never used ACDsee that much, so I can try this right away.

Return to “Campfire”