PC problems thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 27 Dec 2008, 13:27

Well if you reinstalled Firefox on the same Hard Disk then I'm not sure you can restore the bookmarks back if you didn't export them before, unfortunately.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 27 Dec 2008, 15:00

If you can't find the old bookmarks.html in "Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<default>\" then you just replaced your bookmarks by reinstalling over it sorry.

Linux understands NTFS?
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Dec 2008, 16:04

Asheera wrote: Should I be worried? Is it something connected with the Motherboard (an error?) or the Video Card has a "bug" at startup at times? Or is it something normal?
Sure not, is time of Christmas. :D
It can be that you only don't see it because your monitor is starting slowly or you may be having some sort of problem, still I doubt that it will be mattering much.
Borsuc wrote: Linux understands NTFS?

Nowadays linux yes, if you will pick comfort distro everything will be served on the plate. (A "geek" distro's usually require it to DIY approach, srry)

@Storm-giant
Use search for files and look for bookmark* file. Bigger size better chance that it will be it. No match - means its lost in the bit wilderness.
Last edited by Pol on 27 Dec 2008, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 27 Dec 2008, 16:07

I'm pretty sure it's not my monitor though, because I see different 'flashes' (when a black screen turns into another - you know), but no text at all.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Dec 2008, 16:27

Hmpf, try to hit and very hardly DEL key when your system will be booting. Mostly if you will make it into BIOS your computer is still OKEIOS.

Although this isn't a good symptome, could be slowered board or your graphic. Not critical but not good either. :D
(aka you was right)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 27 Dec 2008, 16:28

Don't find ''Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla'', inside application data I only see a Microsoft folder, nothing else :(
And searching didn't help too :disagree:

Pol
Admin
Admin

ECC "i7"

Unread postby Pol » 03 Jan 2009, 08:24

@DDR3

The new ones ("i7" Xeons) which will be supporting ECC
- Xeon W3570 +

DDR3 ECC memory

For these of use who are wanting to building server or workstation & Borsuc. ;)

PS I'm practically decided that I will be going with E5400, when they will be released. This is best Intel HTPC processor around. (almost same performance like E7300 adequately priced)
"We made it!"

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 03 Jan 2009, 17:17

Thanks for that Pol although I'm not sure if I'll go for i7, seems somewhat expensive (motherboard + DDR3 memory yikes). Not sure if it'll fit in my budget, considering the processor is expensive as well. Then again, these processors aren't even on the market yet, are they?

Regarding ECC with LGA 775 socket, "Asus Maximus Formula" motherboards claim they support it with Intel X38 chipset, but I am doubtful if they truly USE it or just DISCARD that extra information (ECC). Some people complained there's no BIOS option and memtest86+ doesn't detect it :|

I posted it on a programming forum and one of the guys there said he uses a Super Micro X7DCA-L motherboard (which has two processor sockets which would be overkill for me) with RAM like this (registered but NOT fully buffered). What does "registered" mean? (again, NOT fully buffered)

How do Xeons compare to Core2 in terms of performance? Are they able to be used as 'desktops' too?

I've got a new "issue" with my comp, not sure if it's serious problem or not. When I shut it down, I see it all go as expected and the hard disk doing something (the red led is on). Then, the image on the monitor disappears (after all, it got shut down, the OS I mean). Strange thing, for about 0.4 seconds the comp is still on, and the red led is not for the first half (0.2 secs) and then gets briefly on (another 0.2) until it fully shuts down (and all fans etc... are stopped).

Should I be worried? It didn't do this before.
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 03 Jan 2009, 21:51

"Asus Maximus Formula" - I don't know, they boast that they support it so they should. I don't have any one at hands and it's extremly unlikely that I will get one soon. (I seen about two per year.)

As to the registered, check the document here
http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesF ... -v1.1e.doc

As I see it either you have buffered or registered ECC modules. The second one end like your choice anyway. (Valid for DDR2 by best of my knowledge but not 100% certain. )

Of course that they are but here is lower chance for coming on optimized applications for them. People just like "normal" quads. However they are more than competitive - they beat normal quads in almost every aspect. Usually they have huge cache and cannot be over clocked.
"We made it!"

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 04 Jan 2009, 16:25

Thanks again for that, probably fully buffered goes even further.
Ah I don't think I'll be interested in overclocking anyway :D

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 11 Jan 2009, 15:31

I have this 'issue'.
When I shut down, SOMETIMES a brief message appears (I can't read it all, it disappears under 1 second because the computer + monitor turns off), saying something like "Instruction at 0xABCDEF cannot be read" or something like that (not sure if it says 'load' or 'write' or whatever instead of 'read'), of course 0xABCDEF is an address which I couldn't get hold of.

What does it mean? Should I be worried? (yes I'm aware what a memory address is, I'm a programmer after all :D)

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 11 Jan 2009, 15:52

Today, my computer wouldn't load Windoze, it froze on the welcome screen. I managed to get in after restarting about 7 times (I'm aware this must be enormously healthy for the computer). Anyone know what gives? ;|
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 11 Jan 2009, 16:13

No one of these messages is really good. It's similar to: "Systems encountered a fatal failiure and it will now close." In the mid of your work.

@Borsuc
Highest probability prize won "Damaged driver system file." Combined with a bit low but more dangerous probability of toasted memory and harddrive. Proposed solution: "I'm afraid that you will end with clean system install. It's eventually always end in this, it's not for nothing called Windows."

@Metathron
Somewhat I seen it similary. So it's certain, that it cannot gives anything good. What about free space check and scandisk? (Also here is presented mechanism of F8 key and Emergency mode. Maybe it could do something.. )
"We made it!"

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 11 Jan 2009, 17:35

@Metathron: If you get in Safe Mode, does it work?

Hmm, could be a nasty program loaded at startup (such as a virus), or an error in the system itself, or something else... dunno

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 11 Jan 2009, 17:55

@Metathron:I had that problem several times(on two computers!), and I think that my problem(freezing while loading windows)was caused by daemons tools(a program who lets to create virtual images(where you mount DVD/CD images like a game)), and, though curious, then, if I open the CD drive while windows is loading and keep open till the account has fully loaded, windows didn't freeze. Maybe it is linked to a virus.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 11 Jan 2009, 21:24

Didn't get to Safe Mode, I managed to load the OS after the 7th restart. :rolleyes: But will keep that in mind for next time. Thanks for the replies.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 12 Jan 2009, 00:48

Pol wrote:@Borsuc
Highest probability prize won "Damaged driver system file." Combined with a bit low but more dangerous probability of toasted memory and harddrive. Proposed solution: "I'm afraid that you will end with clean system install. It's eventually always end in this, it's not for nothing called Windows."
Thanks Pol.
well, I will probably make clean install since I'll get a new comp anyway but in the meantime I'm afraid for the harddisk not to become toasted.

When I turn it on for the first few minutes (hard disk), it makes a high-pitched but soft tone (you barely hear it), when it loads only. But after it loads Windows after some 10 minutes it doesn't have it anymore.

HD Tune Pro says HD is perfectly healthy...

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 12 Jan 2009, 17:16

Yeah again something...

I booted the comp. It went fine (with the soft high-pitched HD thing as 'usual' in the last few weeks), but when it got to the desktop half-way between loading (I could see the desktop background and start menu etc...) I swear I heard a beep of some sort, loud one, for like 1-2 seconds! 8| (not sure from where though)

Then it's normal. I'm spooked out. :S

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 12 Jan 2009, 18:11

If you PC isn't working, you just have to firm, and never allow it to be disobedient. Just smash that machine with a huge hammer! That will teach it a lesson for life!
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 12 Jan 2009, 18:34

Windows makes beeps when you play a sound and you don't have proper drivers for your sound card. Probably they didn't load up fast enough?

Speaking of this, my laptop also has a weird problem, sometimes (in around 20% of the cases) when I load Windows I can't play any sound: it says there's no sound device installed. If I restart it works. Somehow when Windows loads up on my laptop it doesn't load the sound drivers or something... my guess anyway.

Return to “Campfire”