PC problems thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 06 May 2008, 20:46

Corribus wrote:
Kalah wrote:Worse for me, since my old laptop is really old and isn't even usable for calculating 2+2 anymore.
Well if you're having trouble with your 1st grade math homework, Kalah, you can always post your questions here. :)
I always liked to help people with math also. So don't be shy. Plus I don't really recall any PCs or other devices working with 2, just 0 and 1... :tonguehands:

@Pol
1 -> Not that. Sure.
2 -> I thought it so too.
3 -> This was my nr. 1 guess.
4 -> This is new to me. I didn't knew this might cause restarts
5 -> If I remember correct there is no Internet connection
6 -> I don't know. Those were reinstalled with WinXP, and since no new devices were added, I don't suspect this might cause problems.

What was needed to know...
1 -> I presume he has at least two partitions. C -> for Windows/drivers/programs(not games) and D -> for any other misc. things. But partitions are on a single disk, and there is no other HDD in the PC.
2 -> No new component. Troubles started after he cleaned the interior of the machine. Since he's a IT student and long-time PC user I trust he knew how to do that. But might have caused some minor yet significant damage.
3 -> No. Middle-aged in PC years.

:)

(Automatic Reboot doesn't works only for the startup problems?)

@Ethric
I didn't said it must be your older HDD, just any HDD/other PC what/where fits.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 May 2008, 15:13

I don't have any HD that fits, and not going to buy one waiting to get a new one from the seller. Could be nice with a spare of course, but i got 2 spare computers, even though they aren't quite (or anywhere in the vicinity of) as good.

When I had a frequently and unexpectedly restarting PC it was a bad memory stick that caused it. So that's what I'm prone to blame, since I had it once :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 May 2008, 15:33

My turn: two years ago the fan of my Radeon 9800 Pro started making strange noises inside my Dell, right after I turned on the computer most of the time. I didn't worry too much about it and after a while I started having weird pixels in my games and after a discussion with tech support, I realized the card was dying.

A couple of days later I found a used Radeon 9800 on eBay and picked it up (the Radeon is one of the few cards that's suitable for my weak power supply, so that's why I sticked to that model). And I spent the next couple of months playing games without any problem.

Flashforward to a few weeks ago: I started hearing the very same fan noise, once again. I decided to clean the fan myself with a Q-tip before the situation got any worse, thinking dust might be causing this, but it didn't help.

What's the problem here? Do you guys clean your video card fans on a monthly basis? Or is it that a video card cannot last more than two years?

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 07 May 2008, 17:26

Wel, i think that the video card is dying also. I never clean my pc, and ik works perfectly!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 07 May 2008, 19:07

Ethric wrote:I don't have any HD that fits, and not going to buy one waiting to get a new one from the seller. Could be nice with a spare of course, but i got 2 spare computers, even though they aren't quite (or anywhere in the vicinity of) as good.
I'm keeping good HDDs at home either :) I meant that one of your friends may have a drive, and wants to help you, since isn't a big deal.
Ethric wrote:When I had a frequently and unexpectedly restarting PC it was a bad memory stick that caused it. So that's what I'm prone to blame, since I had it once
This is completely new to me. I wouldn't have thought that removable devices can make the PC restart :)
Angelspit wrote:My turn: two years ago the fan of my Radeon 9800 Pro started making strange noises inside my Dell, right after I turned on the computer most of the time. I didn't worry too much about it and after a while I started having weird pixels in my games and after a discussion with tech support, I realized the card was dying.

A couple of days later I found a used Radeon 9800 on eBay and picked it up (the Radeon is one of the few cards that's suitable for my weak power supply, so that's why I sticked to that model). And I spent the next couple of months playing games without any problem.

Flashforward to a few weeks ago: I started hearing the very same fan noise, once again. I decided to clean the fan myself with a Q-tip before the situation got any worse, thinking dust might be causing this, but it didn't help.

What's the problem here? Do you guys clean your video card fans on a monthly basis? Or is it that a video card cannot last more than two years?
The problem you've had with your first card, I encountered it too. My homemate had a similar problem with a Radeon 9800 128MB video card. He overclocked it, and after a while (without sound) he beginned to pixelize the games, than the desktop too, than it was unbearable. Than he changed it to another Radeon 9800.

As for the newer problem. I guess two years are a big time for a video card bought at eBay. Anyhow the world of machines is a world where Murphy's laws are unbreakable. You know the "what can be broken, will be broken sooner or later". So even new video cards can die in two years, or even less.
I didn't cleaned my PC at work, although I plan to do it from months now. When I have time, I'm just too lazy to bring a dust cleaner, while other times... well than I don't have time :D. But I didn't had problems... or just one. The transfer speed of my HDD was too slow. Than I made some dusting, and also changed the IDE cable., so I don't know which solved my problem.
To be back on question. I don't believe dusting can help always. Sometimes when the PC just doesn't starts, it might work, other times is just a last hope. I mean you cards death (it it will occur), won't be because of the dust.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 May 2008, 05:10

Seems like you're right with your presumption. Firmly believe yourself. Really some cards could be equipped with under dimensed cooling, thus after time they have nice ability to fry itself alive. (That time would be about a year.)

Yet in IT terminology that is called:"Component (passive or with small cooler) require additional circulation of air in the case."

If here's not, you are best with starting one, easiest by adding better cooler just from the beginning. :D

(PS I'm using Rage 128 Ultra - this is one of trully passive cards. :devious: Virtually all integrated graphics are its successor.)

A previous owner could already had better cooler in use but before he decided to sell it on ebay, he put it down and mounted back original. Sounds like one of things which people do. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 08 May 2008, 13:37

I'm having a small but very annoying problem. I've been ignoring it but I can't anymore ::missing/white/flag/emoticon::

When I go to different web pages I do so by going up to the favorites menu (I'm using internet explorer, can't get the favorites menu into firefox). The items in the menu forget their icons...like CH had the gogamer red dot yesterday and today it has the windows symbol :ill:

I want the CH back.

Usually when desktop items forget their icon I can change it in the properties but that doesn't work here.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 May 2008, 15:38

I'm not using IE but let me check...

...yep, clumsy.

Well, you will need to re-create ch bookmark. Problem here is, that if you will empty your IE cache the icons will go away too. They will be fetched again only if you will ask for that bookmark once more (means to usually bookmark the site again.)

If you would use firefox or any other mozilla based client you would see ch icon as practically omnipresent. I have no idea how is acting IE7 perhaps is more careful... ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 08 May 2008, 15:46

Ok I'll try it. Actually it's a problem because I upgraded to IE 7.

edit: lol it worked for CH but other sites now adopted the CH icon.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 08 May 2008, 16:11

Because it's so nice.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 May 2008, 16:12

PhoenixReborn wrote:Ok I'll try it. Actually it's a problem because I upgraded to IE 7.

edit: lol it worked for CH but other sites now adopted the CH icon.
That cannot be bad. :D

I guess if the things are like that, one of the future service pack for IE will take care about it. ;) (Nope, here must be way how to repair corrupted bookmark icon cache already, try to play up google a bit.)
"We made it!"

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 09 May 2008, 13:30

@PhoenixReborn
I advice that you should get a Firefox instead..... :)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 09 May 2008, 23:53

Muzka, what is the big differents between FF and IE7? Cause i never had ANY problem with the second one :S

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 10 May 2008, 00:15

Again that nasty "S" nevermind.... What is the difference? Try it.... it's like asking what is the problem with a Hindustan Ambassador, when you never drove any other car? I didn't said it's bad, bud after you tried a Firefox, you'll see the difference.
Some years ago, when I first used Netscape, I had an opinion something like yours, now, I wouldn't use IE, only if there would be no alternative. I also would recommend Opera, but it can be quite slow or resource hungry.

On a different note... I would be curious, about, how could I make my Avatar to have a transparent background? I mean to show only the black Johnny, and the rest to be adaptive to the background.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 10 May 2008, 00:20

Ok i gt that you like FF but the biggest difference is? I never figured that one out... ;|

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 10 May 2008, 00:33

Just try it by yourself... if you can't make the difference, than you can use IE.... it's the same for me... :)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 May 2008, 04:58

darknessfood wrote:Ok i gt that you like FF but the biggest difference is? I never figured that one out... ;|
Several
...native tabbed browsing
...thousands of extensions (let name some: addblock or flashblock, noscript, imagebot, url savers or pterodactyl or downthemall)
..code DOM analyser (you will like it if you're anything with www)
..better www standarts support, more elements are working how they were intended
..can be more customized

You may object that ff is big and clumsy and far from being reasonably called "fire fox". However that is caused by extensions or XUL and few other elemenets. If you can live without them and appreaciate instead a full speed here certainly exist a choices for you. Could be k-meleon, flock, Wyzo.

One note though, ff on the windows is still a breeze over linux. Here are the fastest galeon/epiphany or dillo (this one is not finished).
"We made it!"

berntie
Scout
Scout

Unread postby berntie » 10 May 2008, 10:34

Pol wrote:
darknessfood wrote:Ok i gt that you like FF but the biggest difference is? I never figured that one out... ;|
Several
...native tabbed browsing
...thousands of extensions (let name some: addblock or flashblock, noscript, imagebot, url savers or pterodactyl or downthemall)
..code DOM analyser (you will like it if you're anything with www)
..better www standarts support, more elements are working how they were intended
..can be more customized
And it is not that deeply integrated with Windows as IE =>far less security threat potential.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 10 May 2008, 12:44

Pol wrote:One note though, ff on the windows is still a breeze over linux.
But you still use Windows most times aren't you? :)

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 10 May 2008, 12:45

ok, my friend helped me transfer my settings (favorites and such) to firefox.

IE7 still crashes a lot for me and has those icon issues so maybe I'll try firefox for a while.

Return to “Campfire”