Superbowl Commercials

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 07 Feb 2006, 09:44

I like to watch curling, although I don't really know the rules or anything. It's just interesting to see how everybody gets all agitated and starts screaming in order to get that big rock in the circle...
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 11:04

Ethric wrote:All sports are an aquired taste, they're all dreadfully boring really :)

I mean, some people get excited by watching tennis, and snooker. I'd just fall asleep watching that, or start think about food or women :D But I'm sure, for those who are interested and know the finer points of it, it's as exciting as a dancing toaster :oex:
I tried imagining what kind of women a lich thinks about.Not a pretty sight :vomit:

And I find watching any sport boring.Especially with all that money that turned it into what it is today.If you like some sport,then go play it,dont watch it.Usually I only watch the finale of worlds football(I mean soccer)and basketball tournaments,because I find them probably the only ones worth a bit of my time.

I especially find it funny when my whole country cries in exctazy how we are the worlds basketball champions.So what?Some rich serbian athlets have beaten some even richer american athlets.I hardly see how that qualifies as we.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Feb 2006, 11:20

Well, as for snooker (the second biggest TV sport in the UK), most people aren't jumping up and down in excitement. Maybe in the World Champ final. But if you know how hard that game is to play, it's quite impressive what those guys do...

Football (and you know which one I mean) is not so much a noble sport, actually - it's a sport for everyone. When the nobs were sitting in their comfy chairs sipping tea and talking about plants and stuff, the plebs were the one actually playing and watching. It soon caught on with larger sections of the community, however, as it quickly became clear that anyone could play - most anywhere they pleased - all they needed was a ball.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 07 Feb 2006, 11:48

Ethric wrote:All sports are an aquired taste, they're all dreadfully boring really :)
Except for playing almost any summer sport in snow :D
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 12:51

theLuckyDragon wrote:I like to watch curling, although I don't really know the rules or anything. It's just interesting to see how everybody gets all agitated and starts screaming in order to get that big rock in the circle...
Curling rocks. Now if only I had somewhere to play. And apparently the screaming are instructions. I guess it's in code or something. B-)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 07 Feb 2006, 13:21

Now, if you want to get all thought provoke-y (new word, right up there with "Truthiness")

You COULD say that American and European Football games are an annalogy for our economic and political differences. Where the Americans prefer to line up and butt heads relying on pure brute strength to acheive their goals, the Europeans have learned to deal with issues using agility.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 07 Feb 2006, 13:25

Oh, and we enjoy watching the commercials because they are funny or entertaining. The sponcers spend over $2 million per 30 seconds during game time, so they want people to REMEMBER those ads. You will also notice that the better ones are in the first half of the game, when HOPEFULLY the viewers are still sober enough to see them.

And why are the beer commercials the best? Because they have the most money to spend on research, development and production... and the most money to make based on the results.

FYI - did you know that in the US, at least in this area, you have to order your Game Day Pizza 3 days in advance to insure prompt delivery?

Beer & Pizza. The traditional Football watching foods.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 13:29

ScarlettP wrote:You COULD say that American and European Football games are an annalogy for our economic and political differences. Where the Americans prefer to line up and butt heads relying on pure brute strength to acheive their goals, the Europeans have learned to deal with issues using agility.
Sure thing. That would so work if there wasn't for that little thing called Rugby football. And it's not European Football, but apparently Association football!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 07 Feb 2006, 13:32

Whatever. I don't DO sports.

(Aside from the full contact, mixed doubles, non spectator variety.) :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 13:37

ScarlettP wrote: (Aside from the full contact, mixed doubles, non spectator variety.) :devil:
8| :| Mixed Doubles – a tennis game played by four players, two players are male, two are female, one of each player sex per side of the court 8| :|

Am I getting this right?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 13:41

ThunderTitan wrote:
ScarlettP wrote: (Aside from the full contact, mixed doubles, non spectator variety.) :devil:
8| :| Mixed Doubles – a tennis game played by four players, two players are male, two are female, one of each player sex per side of the court 8| :|

Am I getting this right?
:lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

I enhoy that one too!But I dont care about the spectators though.Theyre free to watch if they lake that sort of thing :devious: :devil:

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 07 Feb 2006, 13:45

You play the way you like. I'll play the way I like. Image

And I gave up the Web Cam years ago.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 14:09

DaemianLucifer wrote: I enhoy that one too!But I dont care about the spectators though.Theyre free to watch if they lake that sort of thing :devious: :devil:
Well someone has a future in the pr0n industry! :devious:

Weird how good commercials lead to talk about sex!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 15:01

I never said anything about web cams.Although taking money for something I really enjoy is a good thing :devious: :devil:

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Superbowl Commercials

Unread postby Thelonious » 07 Feb 2006, 15:11

igoraki wrote:i work at tv station as motion graphics designer,so am always looking for new commercials,openers for tv shows,anything that includes special fx,good graphics and/or original ideas.so you can call it professional deformation.
Yeah, but that's for your living... really, why anyone would watch 'em for fun. (yes there are funny commercials but they don't serve the purpose they were made for and there are only a few of them so...)
Thunder Titan wrote: Because there are so few good comercials out there that they are an event onto themselves!
Yeah... But I still don't get it why people don't make short funny films then instead of commercials.

You know I've never had 1 commercial where afterwards I said to myself, yeah I'm gonna buy this product...
Grah!

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 Feb 2006, 16:46

ScarlettP wrote: FYI - did you know that in the US, at least in this area, you have to order your Game Day Pizza 3 days in advance to insure prompt delivery?

Beer & Pizza. The traditional Football watching foods.
Make your own pizza then you lazy slobs! ;|

:tongue:
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 07 Feb 2006, 16:47

Oh I suppose we should make our own beer, too; is that right, Mr. Critical? :D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 Feb 2006, 16:51

Corribus wrote:Oh I suppose we should make our own beer, too; is that right, Mr. Critical? :D
Oh dear oh dear oh dear... you can buy the beer weeks in advance and just keep it in a cool place (or warm, if that's your thing), and take it out and consume it later on. Beer is a preserved substance. While with pizza, on the other hand, the preferred state before consumption throughout the civilised world (and the US) is hot, and somewhat "fresh". That means, that with pizza a certain amount of work is required in the time before consumption, while beer is good to go out of a can\bottle\barrel\container of choice.

Does that clear things up for you? :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 07 Feb 2006, 16:55

Ethric wrote:Does that clear things up for you? :D
Well I don't know about you, but I've eaten pizza bought weeks in advance before. :-D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 16:57

Corribus wrote:
Ethric wrote:Does that clear things up for you? :D
Well I don't know about you, but I've eaten pizza bought weeks in advance before. :-D
But it simply isnt the same when its heated.Fresh pizza is the way to go.

Return to “Campfire”