A very belated retirement post

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

A very belated retirement post

Unread postby Psychobabble » 07 Apr 2008, 01:22

I originally wrote this mid last year and intended to post it on the front page after discussing it with Angelspit. But i decided to postpone it because I got the HoF expansion so I thought I'd give the game another shot and also have a stab at reviewing some of the custom maps. Unfortunately both that expansion and the custom maps I could find disappointed me and I never got around to officially posting this. Anyway, given that it's over 6 months late, it's not worth a front page entry but I thought I'd post this here anyway:
I think it's finally time for me to officially retire from my position on the Celestial Heavens' staff. I've been involved with the community, on and off, for close to five years now. I began my official involvement with the site in August 2002 when I turned my "custom map reviews (long, updated)" forum thread into CH's map review section and I was promoted to 'editor' by Angelspit a couple of months later. I continued to review H4 maps on and off for the next three and a half years, writing over 50,000 words and countless spelling errors in 126 full reviews. For personal reference more than anything, here's what else I've done on the site over the years:

* Judged a map contest in 2002, in which I played and reviewed all of the ~30 custom maps hosted on the site. Prizes were awarded to the best maps in three different categories (overall, multi and single player).

* Created four Heroes IV maps, three of which are on this site and one of which is on the Winds of War expansion CD (NWC ran a map making contest to generate a bit of extra content for the expansion). One of my maps, My Brother's Keeper, received the 'judges choice' award in a MapHaven themed map-making contest.

* Organised and co-judged a themed Heroes IV map-making contest 'An American Tale', in 2005 which attracted three entries.

* Put together a summary page of what I thought were the best Heroes IV maps that I had played. This is one of my favourite contributions, in my opinion it's a great resource for anyone looking to find a fun Heroes IV maps of any type.

* Reviewed the Heroes IV Tile and Card game.

* Participated in the Heroes V beta test.

* Wrote walkthroughs for the Academy and some of the Sylvan Heroes V campaigns.

* Organised and co-judged a Heroes V map-making contest, 'A Little Challenge', which attracted 11 entries. I also wrote full reviews for each of these maps, which were the only Heroes V maps I reviewed.</ul]

I also recently started running a new season of the Round Table Battles, but issues with the score system, declining participation and my current minimal internet access meant I couldn't execute it as well as I hoped (sorry).

I'll finish off with some quick shout outs. First huge thanks and massive props Angelspit, who has maintained an exceptional level of devotion to this site for going on 8 years now. He manages his volunteers exceptionally well, maintains an excellent balance between respecting the game developers and standing up for the community when necessary and has ensured that Celestial Heavens is truly the premiere Might and Magic fan site.

Finally, shout outs to Wimfrits, Kalah, Karryl, Robenhagen, Pepak, Charles Watkins/Caradoc, Ethric, Veldrynus, Corribus, ScarlettP, Ghostwriter, Lord Evenshade, Grumpy old wizard, Pitsu, Laelth, Tar, HodgePodge, Ururam Tururam, Sarvi, Blue Camel and all the others with whom I've had rewarding dealings with in some way over the years, whether it be on the Round Table Forums, in discussions of the merits of various maps or from playing their map creations. Thanks to these people, and many others, I've had a lot of fun in being involved with the community. I hope it continues to thrive and provide others with as much enjoyment as it's given me over the years!
bye!

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 07 Apr 2008, 01:28

@Psychobabble: :S

Well, I know we didn't talk much, but you will be sorely missed. :)

Take care and don't be a stranger! :wave:
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 07 Apr 2008, 02:04

Psychobabble I knew you were retiring as AS mentioned it a while back, I'm sorry to see you go, well maybe you'll still be drop in. What's it been over a year now since you, Wimfrits and I judged that mapmaking contest. That's the last I'd seen you around. Anyway peace man. :angel:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 07 Apr 2008, 02:28

Does that also mean you're leaving CH as a poster as well?? :(
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 07 Apr 2008, 02:33

Corribus wrote:Does that also mean you're leaving CH as a poster as well?? :(
yeah, i pretty much haven't been active in about a year, so i don't expect that to change. i might drop by and lurk every now and again but not much more than that.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Apr 2008, 02:36

Please don't go away forever just because Heroes V was such a big disappointment. Image Even if real life gets hectic, you can still find a few minutes to stop by and say hello. We'll miss your insightful reviews; and your "Map Picks" are great. Please, do stop by from time to time.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 07 Apr 2008, 02:45

Good luck and have fun you will be missed.
Corelanis used baton pass The Heroes Round Table sent out [the poster below me]

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 07 Apr 2008, 03:17

:(

Please at least stop by every now and then. : (

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 Apr 2008, 05:26

shame to have it all finalised, sealed and delivered
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 07 Apr 2008, 08:55

I too did not know you much but you have contributed a lot and will be missed. Good luck :)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 07 Apr 2008, 12:49

From Wicket in Ewoks: Battle for Endor
Good-bye not good.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Apr 2008, 16:14

Seeya 'round, PB! :-D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 07 Apr 2008, 16:34

Best of luck to you in the future and thanks for all the nice teamwork along the way. Take care :wave:
I was lookin’ back to see if you were lookin’ back at me to see me lookin’ back at you.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 Apr 2008, 16:46

So long, and thanks for all the fi.. hard work :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 07 Apr 2008, 17:30

Ethric wrote:So long, and thanks for all the fi.. hard work :)
Hey, I was gonna say that! Fine, the next time someone leaves, I got dibs on it, y'hear?

Good luck, Psycho (there's a sentence I never thought I'd say), and thanks for all the great HoMM IV map reviews.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 07 Apr 2008, 18:56

Pity I didn't interact much with Psychobabble in the past. We seem to have similar tastes in Heroes. ;|

For the rest, I understand him pretty well. The hectic life combined with the H5 disappointment drove me out of the community as well 2 years ago.

(The reason I still pass by Campfire every now and then is only because some ppl started "stalking" me last year to return. And of course I only came back to CH: my first & only true love). ;)
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Apr 2008, 19:57

I'm sad to see you go, but still very proud of what we accomplished as a team. What can I say but thank you, and good luck!

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 07 Apr 2008, 21:50

Good luck at whatever you choose to do. Addios!

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 07 Apr 2008, 21:54

Seeya, PB! Thanks for those nice reviews and everything! :)
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 08 Apr 2008, 17:39

See you around PB!

Your many efforts will not be easily forgotten. And it has been a genuine pleasure dealing with you. :-D
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Return to “Campfire”