M&M riddle game

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Feb 2006, 20:54

OK :D the various Oozes?
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 13 Feb 2006, 21:28

Nope. : ) Try again.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 15 Feb 2006, 16:59

Gems

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 15 Feb 2006, 21:02

Nuh-uh. Keep guessing. B-)

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 15 Feb 2006, 21:30

Hmm...ores?

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 16 Feb 2006, 01:38

:no:

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 16 Feb 2006, 02:51

I've got a few guesses that don't seem to fit the riddle right, oh I love Kareeah's puzzles. So hard and making me think all during school...Anyway, my next guess'll be potions.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 16 Feb 2006, 15:56

No. Anyone want a hint?

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 16 Feb 2006, 23:55

A hint might be good...but meanwhile, here's another crazy guess: barrels (like those ones you find with the different liquids inside).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Feb 2006, 01:07

Havent played MM but it sounds like some sort of a diamond.Are there any special diamonds in MM7?

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 17 Feb 2006, 04:47

Now I just hope I didn’t make this worse…:Z

The corundum’s conundrum
And fame’s later game
“Ruby” is twofold—
In Stone and in Name

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 17 Feb 2006, 11:50

*feverishly thinking* Okay, how 'bout the dwarves in the red dwarf mine? I don't think they go on a shelf anywhere, but...Wow, what a stumper, Kareeah.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 17 Feb 2006, 17:29

Mutare Drake wrote:*feverishly thinking* Okay, how 'bout the dwarves in the red dwarf mine?
DING DING DING DING DING!!! :-D :-D :-D

Sit me pretty on a shelf—a ROCK SHELF, as the dungeon is a mine
Made as sturdy as my self—they’re in a stone dungeon, made of stone
Name me or my ruby kin—I considered being extra evil and holding out for one of their actual names, but I figure next to no one actually takes much note of those petty details, and once you know what the riddle’s referring to it’s just a matter of going through the game and looking it up.
All on a world in the Spinward Rim —self explanatory

The corundum’s conundrum—if you do enough research on gemstones for whatever reason, you’ll learn that rubies and sapphires are actually the same stone—they’re corundums. The ONLY difference between the two is color—rubies are red (and sometimes pink, depending on where you are), sapphires are everything else. Thus by “ruby” the riddle means “red”.
And fame’s later game—none of the rulers send ambassadors to your court or pay much attention to you in general until after you free the dwarves.
“Ruby” is twofold—
In Stone and in Name
—the RED Dwarf Mines (Stone), and one of the Dwarves you rescue is called RED Keldin (Name). (Obsessed? Me?) Alternatively, RED Dwarves for name.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 17 Feb 2006, 18:46

Kareeah Indaga wrote: The corundum’s conundrum—if you do enough research on gemstones for whatever reason, you’ll learn that rubies and sapphires are actually the same stone—they’re corundums. The ONLY difference between the two is color—rubies are red (and sometimes pink, depending on where you are), sapphires are everything else. Thus by “ruby” the riddle means “red”.
Just for the sake of giving you useless information - corundum is actually aluminum oxide (alumina), which is colorless, and the color of rubies comes from trace metallic impurities (in the case of rubies, the impurity is chromium (Cr3+) ions). Electronic absorptive transitions between the individual chromium ion d-orbitals are responsible for the red color. Blue sapphires generally are caused by iron and titanium impurities; when both of these ions are present, there are charge-transfer states that give rise to the blue color. Other colors are due to other impurities. The more "impure" the gemstone, generally the deeper the color, although since some colors are due to more than one impurity, the relative concentrations can give rise to a lot of different colors. Quartz is similar except quartz is silicon oxide (silica). However, silicon and aluminum are slightly different sizes, and the crystal packing is therefore different. The result is that quartz is softer than corundum (actually this is the second hardest mineral known), which makes the latter better for jewelry. Also because silicon is so much more prevalent in the earth's crust, natural corundums (i.e., rubies and sapphires) are much more valuable than than their quartz counterparts, as you probably know if you've ever had to buy one for somebody. :D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 18 Feb 2006, 02:50

Kareeah Indaga wrote:DING DING DING DING DING!!! :-D :-D :-D
Wow! Really? Okay, gimme a bit to make something up...
“Ruby” is twofold—
In Stone and in Name
—the RED Dwarf Mines (Stone), and one of the Dwarves you rescue is called RED Keldin (Name). (Obsessed? Me?) Alternatively, RED Dwarves for name.
Ah, I thought the twofold was "ruby" as in red (the "stone" part), and then the "name" part was found by rearranging the letters in "ruby" to read "bury", meaning something buried or underground like the mine. Nice, nice riddle.

Well, here goes...hope I've made this decently, we'll have to see...I probably won't get on tomorrow, but will be sure to Sunday, so see you all then!

A blue shape
Over blue
Within gray
Black all around
Under a cover of white.

Who am I?
MM7

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 18 Feb 2006, 19:06

Corribus wrote:Also because silicon is so much more prevalent in the earth's crust, natural corundums (i.e., rubies and sapphires) are much more valuable than than their quartz counterparts, as you probably know if you've ever had to buy one for somebody. :D
Bah, you think corundums are expensive—try Alexandrite, of the chrysoberyls, originally found in Russia. Chromium is the main cause of its color, and it turns green in sunlight and red in incandescent light. Easily $1,000 a carat last I checked, and that was just for a plain stone.
Mutare Drake wrote: A blue shape
Over blue
Within gray
Black all around
Under a cover of white.

Who am I?
MM7
Ummm…the genies in the Walls of Mist?

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 19 Feb 2006, 14:01

No to genies. I think you're getting the idea right though, the "who am I" is the blue shape.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Feb 2006, 14:06

Wimfrits :D

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 19 Feb 2006, 14:20

Nice one, ha ha.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich