STOP IT: EA wants to acquire TakeTwo :(

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Oct 2008, 13:06

I personally don't mind if a big company buys a small one; in itself, that can be good for game development. It means there's a carrot out there for small developers who make games in their garage old-style: make good games and the big coorporations will take notice, and you'll make lots of money.

What I do mind is if the bigger company buys up a smaller one, and then starts telling the geniuses what to do. Setting unrealistic deadlines, dictating contents of the games etc... that's the moment when business takes the driver's seat away from developing a good game, and the result is usually not good. As Riccitiello admitted some time ago, the old "Command & Conquer" model doesn't work any longer, and it is better to get hold of some good people, "give them the keys" and let them do everything the way they want.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 02 Oct 2008, 15:27

The business getting in the way of the games is definitely a problem. Apparently one effective way to make lots of money in the industry is to "ship now no matter what" and slap a big corporate name on the box.

I look at Stardock as a great example for how to solve that problem. They make great games, but their core business is Windows desktop customization. CEO Brad Wardell has said before that it won't matter if the games never make another dime. The Windows business earns enough to cover them. They makes games because they love it and because they can afford to. And when you think about it, this makes good business sense. They're diversifying instead of risking the entire company on one title.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 02 Oct 2008, 15:28

What's wrong with EA?! ;| EA are responsible for one of my all time favs: The Sims 2 :-D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 02 Oct 2008, 23:09

Some of the leaders are profit oriented and don't care for fans etc. - But I care little about them and their games.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 03 Oct 2008, 02:25

And then there were the rumors about them buying a controlling stake in Ubisoft...
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Oct 2008, 03:22

Basically, they're "the big, bad wolf", aren't they...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

blacktrance
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby blacktrance » 03 Oct 2008, 04:02

The problem with the gaming industry these days is that games just cost too much to develop - and that too much effort is put into graphics.
No Observatory - no Blacktrance.

"If you ask me to name the proudest distinction of Americans, I would choose - because it contains all the others - the fact that they were the people who created the phrase 'to make money'." - Ayn Rand

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 03 Oct 2008, 09:50

Kalah wrote:Basically, they're "the big, bad wolf", aren't they...
Sometimes the "sheep" is the same bad, and the wolf had good intentions too. :)
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 03 Oct 2008, 11:11

blacktrance wrote:The problem with the gaming industry these days is that games just cost too much to develop - and that too much effort is put into graphics.
Well said :tsup:
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 03 Oct 2008, 16:58

Hmm, it's a shame when the only interest in the games is turning them into money pigs. Games lose some of their personality.
I bet the big companies are in league with the people who develop stronger computers hence making it difficult for you to spend money on anything else but updating your computer. Bastards :disagree:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Oct 2008, 20:21

Hey - the guys who developed X3:reunion made the graphics so stunning I need a new video card to run it properly... but man is it beautiful...

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 21 Dec 2008, 05:25

Kristo on 1 October wrote:It remains to be seen whether the choice to defeat EA's takeover bid was a good idea.
It's not looking too good right now. TTWO closed on Friday at $8.43 a share. The offer they passed up from EA was $25 a share.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Dec 2008, 13:12

As a studio that doesn't mean all that much as EA isn't doing that well either, no one is.

It's the guy/s who would have gotten the money that might have gotten a raw deal (selling it might have lead to EA closing it because of the crisis etc, and then their future income would be threatened... life's complicated)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Dec 2008, 20:27

Why do people put their companies on the stock markets anyway, if they're so worried about being taken over by competitors?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Dec 2008, 15:38

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 24 Dec 2008, 04:40

The companies themselves aren't worried. It is we the consumers and media types who like to fret about it. In the case of Take Two, I have to think that their board of directors truly believes they can do a better job with their brands than EA can. Why else would you block an offer for almost double your market cap (now almost 4x) when you're supposedly serving in your shareholders' best interest?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Dec 2008, 21:42

As long as tehy're in the green they're fine... the stock holders might be miffed though.

We worry because we don't have access to their real figures, so we don't know if they're not going under but hiding it...

Return to “Campfire”