Holly wood or holly crap?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 Aug 2006, 23:46

uhoh ... this might start a debate, but i agree corribus, you can watch it for just the action, or you can try and piece it together, i love the fact that it has that ambiguousness
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Aug 2006, 07:07

Interestingly,only the SF movies staring schwarzenegger are ike that(terminator,running man,6th day),while the rest are pure action flicks with nothing deep inside them

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Aug 2006, 07:10

that's an interesting point DL .... and while he also has plenty of plain action flicks, maybe there is more to arnie than just muscles :)

if you want a deep movie try the usual suspects, that'll get ya thinking, although most people have probably already seen it

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Aug 2006, 09:15

Well,he is the governor,so there definitely is more to him than muscles.And,if you are to believe the demolition man,he is going to be the US president :D

OMFG!!I just received a copy of snakes on mofo plane!I cannot wait to play it!In some two hours Ill be back to tell you how laughable this movie really is :devil:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Aug 2006, 11:31

hehehe, one of the only movies to have it's plot completely altered by internet input .... that famous line was put in after it was made as a fictional quote on the net .... :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Aug 2006, 13:21

One thing is sure:This movie is sure not going to be forgoten.What other movie has such cool(read laughable)quotes as "We have to put a barrier between us and the snakes","Great!Snakes on crack",and of course "Im tired of these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane"?It also has a python devouring a guy as well as a snake and boobs in the same scene.Oh,and you can also see how to combat snakes with a taser(dont try this at home kids).Trully a movie worth watching.But not paying for.If you catch it on TV or receive it for free,be sure to watch it.But dont waste your money to watch it in the cinema.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 13:46

You know, they actualy made changes to the movie based o what people on the net wanted? And Sam L. Jackson made it a condition that thy not change the name? Snakes on a Plane is already part of net history.

So, anyone else watched Clerks 2 recently?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Aug 2006, 13:52

Nope,but will watch them soon.As soon as I pull some contacts :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 14:10

DaemianLucifer wrote:Nope,but will watch them soon.As soon as I pull some contacts :D
Shouldn't 128 kbs be enough contacts?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 25 Aug 2006, 19:09

Kalah wrote:"Blade Runner" is a futuristic movie about a not-so-distant past, in which people were being used as slave labourers to do the dirty work and soldiering for those who are higher up on the social ladder. The 'replicants' (man-made humans) raise the issue of Man's godplaying as well as the question of worth. Are the 'replicants' really the bad guys here? Or is it the people who made them? And as you find out in the end, that Rachel has no 'expiration date' - isn't she just a human, like the rest of us? A person?

It is an excellent feature with a message, a marvellous music score and more than decent acting performances. Ford, Hauer, Olmos, Young, Hannah - they shine. And this film was made in the era of good features, before sci-fi became overrun by computer graphics and effects.
As one reviewer put it: "After 'Blade Runner', most of the big blockbuster science fiction movies boil down to good guys vs. bad guys with lots of loud explosions and in-your-face effects."
Sure, I give you that...those are some interesting points to be raised in a film. But on the other hand there are some problems just with the basic script that I think undermind the jump to analysis(which I'm all for in most cases.)

1. When Ford fights the female replicant with too much makeup(eek!, don't know her name) she does all those crazy flips and crap. Why? What is the point of this? To be weird? Aren't the replicants supposed to be blurring the line between human and machine? I've never seen a human do crap like that before(except maybe in Goldeneye...)

2. Shouldn't the movie at least try and explain why the world is in such a rundown state? This movie, as I read it anyways, is a cautionary tale about humanity and the development of future technologies(AI becoming sentient.) But the film gives no reason for any of this happening, it just is. How did Coca-Cola become Big Brother? ;)

3. Seriously, shouldn't the head of that company have a camera in his elevator so that he could know that the main replicant was coming up to kill him. It's the future(!), but we don't have common sense.

@Corribus
Throne of Blood is great but I have never read the Shakespeare play so this might contribute to it. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts if you've seen/read the two.

Grave of the Fireflies is an ultra-depressing film along the lines of sadness created by Ikiru. I warn you now so you can plan ahead. Great film though, but I suppose that it's worth noting.

Is Total Recall like a precursor to the Matrix films then, that's how the explanations come off as anyways. Well, I'm all for action flicks having(trying) to be more than what they are, I do have a soft spot for "V for Vendetta."
Hell has frozen over...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 19:25

Derek wrote: 1. When Ford fights the female replicant with too much makeup(eek!, don't know her name) she does all those crazy flips and crap. Why? What is the point of this? To be weird? Aren't the replicants supposed to be blurring the line between human and machine? I've never seen a human do crap like that before(except maybe in Goldeneye...)

2. Shouldn't the movie at least try and explain why the world is in such a rundown state? This movie, as I read it anyways, is a cautionary tale about humanity and the development of future technologies(AI becoming sentient.) But the film gives no reason for any of this happening, it just is. How did Coca-Cola become Big Brother? ;)

3. Seriously, shouldn't the head of that company have a camera in his elevator so that he could know that the main replicant was coming up to kill him. It's the future(!), but we don't have common sense.
Overanalize much? And wanting everyone to have common sense just because it's the future?!

And the world is in such a rundown state because we just kept doing what we're doing right now, that was kinda the point.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 25 Aug 2006, 20:37

1. When Ford fights the female replicant with too much makeup(eek!, don't know her name) she does all those crazy flips and crap. Why? What is the point of this? To be weird? Aren't the replicants supposed to be blurring the line between human and machine? I've never seen a human do crap like that before(except maybe in Goldeneye...)
That's Pris, played by Daryl Hannah. Pris was a 'pleasure model' and therefore quite flexible. The replicants all had superhuman abilities. The blurring was that they began to develop emotions, such as the love Pris had for Blatty.

BTW: The city was a projection based on current trends, mixed with some architecture inspired by Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

And.. I need to take back my example of brilliant writing. It turns out that Rutger Haur improvised that passage!
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 22:05

Caradoc wrote: And.. I need to take back my example of brilliant writing. It turns out that Rutger Haur improvised that passage!
Another reason Blade Runner is a great movie: It has Rutger Hauer in it. :D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Aug 2006, 23:33

It's the only good part Hauer has ever done, IMO...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 23:38

Kalah wrote:It's the only good part Hauer has ever done, IMO...
I remember likeing Ladyhawke, but i was rather young at the time. And he was also in Sin City: # Rutger Hauer — Cardinal Patrick Henry Roark

And as an actor i've always liked him, even if he stared in a rather weak movie.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Aug 2006, 23:44

Ladyhawke is a decent film, but not because of Hauer. I remember seeing a very young Matt Broderick in that one... :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 23:48

Kalah wrote:Ladyhawke is a decent film, but not because of Hauer.
But do you think he made it worse, or what? You did say " the only good part".

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Aug 2006, 23:54

Nah, he was a'ight. But I mean that he usually got parts that could have been done by others just as well. He was an "anonymous". Except in "Blade Runner", which quality was greatly improved by his performance.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2006, 23:58

So a more accurate description would have been "it's his only great role".

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Aug 2006, 00:12

If you insist. ;)

Return to “Campfire”