Holly wood or holly crap?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jul 2006, 14:38

I suggest kiss,kiss,bang,bang to everyone(and not just in order to divert the topic from the westerns).Its fast,perverted,funny.Sure,it has a few cliches,but overal it stands out of the crowd,and in a good way.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 05 Jul 2006, 19:12

Corribus wrote:
Caradoc wrote:I really don't remember any rape subtones. When he finally made love to Carrie Snodgrass at the end, he seemed almost reluctant, as if fulfilling some obligaton. What did I miss?
The "rape subtone" scene that most sticks out is when the girl (can't remember the characters' names) rides to the mining camp alone and the miners start to tear her clothes off... but Pale Rider saves her.
Also the fact that LaHood, the evil miner lead, was being blamed for raping the land and stealing its bounty. Interesting that his son would fulfill(or attempt to) that with Megan.
Hell has frozen over...

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Aug 2006, 02:56

*BUMP*

Ok, I'm back with two more suggestions.

The first is Yojimbo. I rented for the first time last week and the movie was great. Mifune was the best samurai ever.

The second really isn't a movie per se. HBO's series Rome just came out on DVD and I have already watched the first two discs. I'm addicted already. The series is great, definitely worth the rent. I feel like going back and reading "I, Claudius" again....
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 20 Aug 2006, 02:59

Corribus wrote:*BUMP*

Ok, I'm back with two more suggestions.

The first is Yojimbo. I rented for the first time last week and the movie was great. Mifune was the best samurai ever.

The second really isn't a movie per se. HBO's series Rome just came out on DVD and I have already watched the first two discs. I'm addicted already. The series is great, definitely worth the rent. I feel like going back and reading "I, Claudius" again....
Fistful of Dollars = Yojimbo in the Old West

(and Magnificent Seven = Seven Samuri in the Old West)
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Aug 2006, 03:05

Caradoc wrote: Fistful of Dollars = Yojimbo in the Old West

(and Magnificent Seven = Seven Samuri in the Old West)
Right... and I want to say that A Few Dollars More was also a remake of a Kurosawa film, but I don't know which one.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 20 Aug 2006, 16:29

I think I've said this before somewhere, but Rome really is a very good series. I saw it on HBO earlier this year and soon I'll have the DVDs too :oex:
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 23 Aug 2006, 01:06

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

"I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life."

"Stand up wherever you are, go to the nearest window and yell as loud as you can, 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore.' "

"There are motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane! "
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 23 Aug 2006, 01:21

As much as I like Sergio Leone, director of the 'dollars' trilogy, Yojimbo is leaps and bounds better than it(Fistful that is.)

Well...with the thread bumped and all I have to ask a simple(!) question: Why do people love Blade Runner?
Hell has frozen over...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Aug 2006, 01:32

Derek wrote:Well...with the thread bumped and all I have to ask a simple(!) question: Why do people love Blade Runner?
Because Han Solo is in it?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Aug 2006, 01:49

i like the movie, but i don't love it, i actually prefer total recall - kind of in a similar place but with a more involving story IMO

if you compare plot to plot there are big differences and the story of blade runner is prolly "better" but i find total recall more immersive the blade runner, or at least i did when it came out
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 23 Aug 2006, 03:11

Yojimbo was also remade more recently: Last Man Standing (Bruce Willis).

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 23 Aug 2006, 20:15

ThunderTitan wrote:
Derek wrote:Well...with the thread bumped and all I have to ask a simple(!) question: Why do people love Blade Runner?
Because Han Solo is in it?
Maybe, but really now...some people claim that its the greatest scifi flick ever made. I don't get it, and I really though that someone might be able to shed some light on it.

Either way, Corribus: Have you seen Ran and Kagemusha? Although they are some of his(Kurosawa's) later works they are certainly worthy of discourse. Then again if you want to talk about good Japanese films then 'Grave of the Fireflies' must be noted...
Hell has frozen over...

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Aug 2006, 23:14

i tried to shed some light on it for you Derek, but went off track there

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 24 Aug 2006, 00:27

stefan.urlus wrote:i tried to shed some light on it for you Derek, but went off track there
On the upside, I might just check out Total Recall. Maybe in a month or so, Netflix is dreadfully slow, I'll tell you how I felt about it.

"7th seal" anyone? :rip:
Hell has frozen over...

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 Aug 2006, 01:12

cool, it is a bit old these days, but if you haven't seen it, well worth a look

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Aug 2006, 01:49

"Blade Runner" is a futuristic movie about a not-so-distant past, in which people were being used as slave labourers to do the dirty work and soldiering for those who are higher up on the social ladder. The 'replicants' (man-made humans) raise the issue of Man's godplaying as well as the question of worth. Are the 'replicants' really the bad guys here? Or is it the people who made them? And as you find out in the end, that Rachel has no 'expiration date' - isn't she just a human, like the rest of us? A person?

It is an excellent feature with a message, a marvellous music score and more than decent acting performances. Ford, Hauer, Olmos, Young, Hannah - they shine. And this film was made in the era of good features, before sci-fi became overrun by computer graphics and effects.
As one reviewer put it: "After 'Blade Runner', most of the big blockbuster science fiction movies boil down to good guys vs. bad guys with lots of loud explosions and in-your-face effects."
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Aug 2006, 08:00

Ah,blade runner..It was a very long time ago.

Theres a newer movie with a similar theme,yet a bit more brighter,and fairy-taily:The AI.Funny how robots can touch your emotions.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Aug 2006, 16:28

I was just introduced to a movie called witches of the carribean.Thats right,WITCHES of the carribean.I think the director of the movie overheard something about vodoo and decided to make a movie about it.Ive watched better 50s horror movies than this!What I really cannot believe is that people would actually pay money to see such a movie(or else,such movies would not be made).Actually,I can think of only one reason to go to the theatre showing such a movie:having the whole theatre for just you and.... :devil:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 24 Aug 2006, 18:30

Derek wrote: Either way, Corribus: Have you seen Ran and Kagemusha? Although they are some of his(Kurosawa's) later works they are certainly worthy of discourse. Then again if you want to talk about good Japanese films then 'Grave of the Fireflies' must be noted...
I own Ran and loved it. I have never seen Kagemusha but it's been in my queue at Blockbuster Online for some time now. Throne of Blood is another one that I've been meaning to see for some time but haven't had the chance yet. I've never seen (or heard of) Grave of the Fireflies but I will seek it out.

As for Total Recall - I heartily recommend it. It's one of those movies that can be watched on many levels. On the surface, it's just an action film, but there's actually a lot of philosophy buried underneath the main storyline. And unlike more modern "philosophical movies" that have the subtlety of an express train crashing into a explosives manufacturing plant, the philosophical messages presented in this movie you really have watch closely for, and sometimes you may not even know they are there until you watch it a few times.
Last edited by Corribus on 24 Aug 2006, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 24 Aug 2006, 20:15

BLADE RUNNER is a movie with many layers--visual, verbal, and symbolic. It gives you more to think about than other movies and you can see it again and again. Not only is it incredibly well filmed and acted, the characters are complex and fascinating. And the writing is marvelous:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. --Roy Batty

Return to “Campfire”