What are you currently reading?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 26 Oct 2006, 13:35

Angelspit wrote:I gave up on Illium and started Stephen King's The Dark Tower instead. I'm in the middle of book 2 now.
The Dark Tower was great, but fell apart (IMO) at the end. I didn't really like the last two books very much, sadly. The high point was book 4, which could pretty much be read without the others with the exception of the first and last chapters.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 26 Oct 2006, 13:48

I thought that Rolland's first journey to the "real" world was a bit weird -- as if Superman was to fight alien spiders on Mars -- but I'm starting to see where King is going with this.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Oct 2006, 14:24

I simply cannot enjoy kings books.They are so scriptlike.They make excelent movies,but I simply cannot read them as books.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 26 Oct 2006, 14:48

DaemianLucifer wrote:They make excelent movies,but I simply cannot read them as books.
Excellent movies?! Which ones?

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 26 Oct 2006, 14:55

Corribus wrote:
Angelspit wrote:I gave up on Illium and started Stephen King's The Dark Tower instead. I'm in the middle of book 2 now.
The Dark Tower was great, but fell apart (IMO) at the end. I didn't really like the last two books very much, sadly. The high point was book 4, which could pretty much be read without the others with the exception of the first and last chapters.
Lucky for you, it fell apart at #2 for me(too much shock literary techniques for my taste). I haven't read past the start of book 3 yet, but you say 4 is worth checking out so I may yet take it for a spin.

I'd say everyone should read the following:

A Confederacy of Dunces
The Trial (though I take it Omega_Destroyer has already read this.)
The Castle
Amerika
Beyond Good and Evil
The Grapes of Wrath
Death of a Salesman

And a short story I picked up along the way, "The Country Husband" by John Cheever.

Oh yes, one more thing:
Stephen King's movies are terrible.
Hell has frozen over...

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 26 Oct 2006, 15:07

That's funny, I'm reading The Dark Tower too. I'm in book 4.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Oct 2006, 15:08

Angelspit wrote: Excellent movies?! Which ones?
Well take my words loosely.When I say excelent,I mean that they translate to screen easily,so the movies are true to the books.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 26 Oct 2006, 15:34

Derek wrote: Lucky for you, it fell apart at #2 for me(too much shock literary techniques for my taste). I haven't read past the start of book 3 yet, but you say 4 is worth checking out so I may yet take it for a spin.
The whole book (as I said, minus the first and last chapters) are essentially just a flashback into Roland's past. You really don't even need to have read the first three books. King's high points were The Stand, Salem's Lot, Cujo, etc. His later stuff isn't that great, for whatever reason.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Oct 2006, 15:36

Scratch my last remark.I just remembered that he wrote the shining.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 26 Oct 2006, 15:39

Corribus wrote:
Derek wrote: Lucky for you, it fell apart at #2 for me(too much shock literary techniques for my taste). I haven't read past the start of book 3 yet, but you say 4 is worth checking out so I may yet take it for a spin.
The whole book (as I said, minus the first and last chapters) are essentially just a flashback into Roland's past. You really don't even need to have read the first three books. King's high points were The Stand, Salem's Lot, Cujo, etc. His later stuff isn't that great, for whatever reason.
And my all-time favourite (which he co-wrote with Peter Straub) : The Talisman !

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Oct 2006, 16:12

Currently reading "Snorre" - Snorri Sturlason's king sagas.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 26 Oct 2006, 19:17

Currently - "Lessek's Key" - Part 2 of the Eldarn Sequence
by Robert Scott & Jay Gordon.

Having just finished....

"The Hickory Staff" - Part 1 of the Eldarn Sequence
by Robert Scott & Jay Gordon.

I can reccomend them both, and await part 3.

I can also reccomend "Orcs" By Stan Nicholls. It is an omnibus of his trilogy, "Bodyguard of Lightning", "Legion of Thunder", and "Warriors of the Tempest". (ISBN 0-575-01487-6) Published by Gollancz / Orion Books. This was enough to get me back into D&D again after several years away. (No I am not on comission, just being helpful for those of you who I know are pining for Orcs and Barbarians from H3).

I also enjoy:
Dean Koontz
Stephen King
James Herbert
James Hadley Chase
Dick Francis
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 26 Oct 2006, 19:47

As I type this, Administrative Law by Schwartz, Corrada, and Brown.

The last novel I read was Night Watch which was entertaining.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Oct 2006, 02:51

Administrative Law .... sounds exciting :disagree:

;)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 30 Oct 2006, 03:34

Samuel Griffith's translation of The Art of War.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 13 Nov 2006, 22:30

I just lost a whole message re: Terry Pratchett and how good he is. Rather than retype it, just let me say that if you like humorous but meaningful Fantasy, read him.

I'm currently reading _Valley of the Soul_ by Tamara Siler Jones. This is the third in her Mystery/Fantasy series. This is *NOT* humorous fantasy, but is excellent work.

Recently finished - _Very Bad Deaths_ by Spider Robinson. Different from his normal punny books.
_Death Match_ by Lincoln Child, one half of the duo that brought us _Relic_ and so many other thrillers.
_We Few_, the fourth in a series by David Weber and John Ringo. Militaristic SF. It is not necessary to have read the previous books to follow what is going on.
_Infernal_, the latest in the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson.
_The Wizard of London_ by Mercedes Lackey, continuing that series.

That pretty much covers the last two weeks.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 13 Nov 2006, 23:44

I finishing up the RE Feist series (again), but on the lookout for something new, so keep throwing things out there, prefer something where the authors actually finished the series for a change thou
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Nov 2006, 23:51

Feet of clay is my next target.Maskarade is behind me now.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 14 Nov 2006, 05:36

DaemianLucifer wrote:Feet of clay is my next target.Maskarade is behind me now.
Have you tried any of his Juveniles? He has the "Johnny" series (3 books in that one), _The Amazing Maurice and his Amazing Rodents_, _Wee Free Men_ and _A Hat Full of Sky_, and of course his children's book, _Where is my Cow_, which tells about the book Sam Vimes reads to Young Sam. Artwork is fantastic. I bought 3 copies - 1 for myself, and 2 for my grandchildren when my children finally get around to having them. One for each set. :)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Nov 2006, 06:49

I would if my publisher here would publish it.Curently I can only read discworld series(not whole of it).Oh,and the gnome series got released here too.

Return to “Campfire”