What are you currently reading?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Soviet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Soviet » 27 Mar 2007, 02:01

I'm currently reading The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.

About half way through and liking it thus far. It truly does have most elements of compelling drama.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 27 Mar 2007, 02:04

Excellant book. That's my favorite novel.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Mar 2007, 02:12

well, I'm stuck now .... can't seem to get a copy of the Halflings Gem .... bugger
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

EDN
Scout
Scout

Unread postby EDN » 27 Mar 2007, 09:59

Reading the Shannara-books again ;| Should maybe try finding something new though...

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Mar 2007, 03:10

tried that, but couldn't get past book 2, they just started to drag for me

EDN
Scout
Scout

Unread postby EDN » 28 Mar 2007, 11:40

:disagree: they are awesome!

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 28 Mar 2007, 14:32

What are you currently reading?
im reading Father Goriot and i have come to think Balzac should have never become a writer. i have to reread each page many times because i lose concentration in the middle of it and realize i dont remember what i read 10 seconds ago. because its so boooriiiing... realists must have been a really dull breed. king Lear was way better.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 28 Mar 2007, 20:15

I'm reading "Lies My Teachers Told Me." It debunks many of the falsehoods perpetuated to allow us to see our history as glorious and our leaders as heroic.

For instance: Europeans were able to settle the 'new' world mainly because plagues had decimated the indian population. The pilgrim fathers took over farms developed by the stricken natives, but almost starved because they spent so much time robbing indian graves. Columbus enslaved the entire population of Hispanola, causing 3/4 of the population to commit suicide. By the time he was done, 90% of the native population was gone.

Quite an eye opener.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Mar 2007, 20:24

Caradoc wrote: Quite an eye opener.
I'm sorry you had to waste money on a book to realize that. But history is fun....
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 Mar 2007, 03:15

EDN wrote::disagree: they are awesome!
that is a matter is taste methinks

and on to good news, I got a copy of The Halflings Gem and have reserved the Legacy and Starless Nights .... these continuations any good?

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 29 Mar 2007, 15:21

This just in:

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

By Jonathan Thompson

The first new Tolkien novel for 30 years is to be published next month.

In a move eagerly anticipated by millions of fans across the world, The Children of Húrin will be released worldwide on 17 April, 89 years after the author started the work and four years after the final cinematic instalment of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, one of biggest box office successes in history.

The book, whose contents are being jealously guarded by publisher HarperCollins - is described as "an epic story of adventure, tragedy, fellowship and heroism."

It is likely to be a publishing sensation, particularly as it is illustrated by veteran Middle Earth artist Alan Lee, who won an Oscar for art direction on Peter Jackson's third film The Return of The King. Lee provided 25 pencil sketches and eight paintings for the first edition of the book, one of which is reproduced here for the first time in a national newspaper.

Tolkien experts are already tipping The Children of Húrin - which features significant battle scenes and at least one major twist - for big budget Hollywood treatment. Takings from the Lord of the Rings trilogy box office takings to date total some £1.5bn.

Chris Crawshaw, chairman of the Tolkien Society, said: "It would probably make a very good movie, if anyone can secure the film rights.

"Tolkien saw his work as one long history of Middle Earth: from the beginning of creation to the end of the Third Age. The Children of Húrin is an early chapter in that bigger story."

The author's son Christopher, using his late father's voluminous notes, has painstakingly completed the book, left unfinished by the author when he died in 1971. The work has taken the best part of three decades, and will signify the first "new" Tolkien book since The Silmarillion was published posthumously in 1977.

"It will be interesting to see how it stands up today alongside all the Tolkien-alike literature that we've become familiar with," said David Bradley, editor of SFX magazine
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Mar 2007, 15:24

Yup. Very excited to see that.

I'm currently reading an article on women traders in medieval England by R.H. Hilton...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 29 Mar 2007, 15:31

A new Tolkien book? Cool. Does New Line own the rights?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Mar 2007, 15:36

No. They own the rights to "The Hobbit" and another prequel to "Lord of the Rings" ("The Silmarillion", perhaps?) and are planning production of these, according to the news.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 29 Mar 2007, 15:58

Speaking of prequels: The Optimal LotR Prequel Movie, by H. K. Fauskanger. Get ready for a long and very interesting read.

(Hope I didn't post this before. In case I didn't: I found it quite a while back and I don't know why I didn't post it until now; it's really good.)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 29 Mar 2007, 16:04

Didn't Jackson turn down The Hobbit? I'm not sure how the Silmarillion could be turned into a movie...
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 29 Mar 2007, 16:13

I don't think it can be adequately turned into a movie either. There's just not enough information on the characters to do them justice properly.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 29 Mar 2007, 17:10

Simlarillion could perhaps work as a TV series, but a movie? No way. Too many characters, too many separate stories that can't be intertwined properly.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 29 Mar 2007, 18:40

What I am currently reading: apartment adds :D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 29 Mar 2007, 18:51

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:What I am currently reading: apartment adds :D
What part of town are you looking for?
Kinda boring stuff to read btw.

Return to “Campfire”