What are you currently reading?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Xdarkon
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Xdarkon » 05 Jul 2013, 22:20

I am reading... A clash of kings by Goerge RR martin, Up next I will read Royal assassin, The liveship traders, And the Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 15 Jul 2013, 13:03

Just finished The Shadow Rising. It's a bit of a surprise how it doesn't follow the general pattern where at the start of a book everyone is together, then splits up, then meets back again at the end of the book. This time around they stayed separated. And the length of this one is hilarious.

So far I don't see anything that would make me stop reading WoT. It's still being tricky with what is going on, although more is revealed all the time. I especially liked the crystal pillar visions in Rhuidean that showed that the WoT world is not unlike the Might and Magic world, with technology being behind it all.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Jan 2014, 18:31

Re-reading Wizards:Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy. Excellent work, several small stories with right wizards.

I can recommend this collection anytime! :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Jun 2014, 16:45

Finished reading Monster Blod Tattoo series, all three parts. Getting third part exclusively from eBay, cause of license restriction. (Funny how e-book is impossible but paper book is good to go.)

These books are deep thought, the language is colourful and they are with pictures from author by pencil to emphasize the atmosphere, of course with long apendix.

Manipulation with language and civilization picture is well done, reminding a little Hobit series. Recommended? YES!

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 15 Jul 2014, 01:57

Xdarkon wrote:I am reading... A clash of kings by Goerge RR martin, Up next I will read Royal assassin, The liveship traders, And the Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb
I finished up to Book 5. Loved the series. You still have two books filled with juicy content to read, luck you. :)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Jul 2014, 18:46

Although there are hints that it might come to an eight book if all content is not able to be inserted in just two books. I'm not one that thinks "the more the merrier in this case". Specially because he takes a long while to finish each book. Following the Colour Weddings in his books (red and purple), when Brazil lost to Germany, it was called "Yellow Wedding". hohoho :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 16 Jul 2014, 23:34

I hope he doesn't die before finishing his series. This guy is old and fat. Not particular the type that's likely to live well into his elderly years.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 17 Jul 2014, 09:05

I'm currently reading the Witcher novels. I'm in the middle of the fifth book (but third novel), Baptism of Fire. The French translation is sometimes a bit weird, but apart from that it's very good.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Jul 2014, 14:20

Continuing my quest of reading classics everybody has heard of but never read, I am just getting started on Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince. I'm on my parents' sun deck, getting my tan on. :-)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Aug 2014, 13:22

Recently finished The Crown of Swords and continuing on to The Path of Daggers. The pace has definitely dropped and there are plot threads everywhere, but it's still interesting to read.

It also makes me happy to read about how The Age of Legends is pretty much the same thing as in the Might and Magic universe :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Aug 2014, 19:23

The Light of Man by Demeter May in ebook format.

It's interesting, and i just found out by googling it that it's by an Eastern European author... that explains why the world felt so... hmmm... fresh/non-standard/whatever...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Aug 2014, 14:56

I'm reading the boards.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Sep 2014, 20:23

Panda Tar wrote:I'm reading the boards.
Well aren't you a rare snowflake...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Sep 2014, 21:51

Hm, Path of Daggers is really intense with the action so far, for pretty much all characters involved.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 05 Sep 2014, 13:50

A Dance with Dragons, trying to stay ahead of the TV show. The pace has slowed down considerably since A Fest for Crows, but the books remain enjoyable.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 05 Sep 2014, 15:00

I'm currently reading "A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow" by George RR Martin for amusement.

And for my in-depth fase at school I'm reading "The Writers Journey" by Christopher Vogler and "Game Mechanics - Advanced Game Design" by Ernest Adams and Joris Dormans
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 06 Sep 2014, 12:32

The 4th book of The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham. Somewhat low on fantasy elements but still highly enjoyable
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 09 Sep 2014, 13:57

I decided to re-read Under the Dome (Stephen King's), given that I started watching the TV series. It was a long time since I last read that book, and I wasn't sure of how close the book and the TV series were. I did forget that Barbie worked in the dinner in the book...the only things I seemed to remember were that Junior was truly troublesome and that Angie was killed pretty fast.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 09 Sep 2014, 15:58

I finished the Witcher books. I'm currently reading all novels and short stories from Catherine Lucille Moore, one of the first women to write SF and fantasy (Northwest Smith, Jirel of Joiry, etc.)
Oldies but goodies :)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 Jul 2015, 14:41

Finished the first nine WoT books now. It's true that the pace has dropped dramatically, and it doesn't help that Jordan keeps resurrecting dead people, argh. It's sort of like the LotR books, where the first one had a lot of progress, and the later ones branched out a whole lot so the progress on any individual thread becomes real slow. And they also get complicated as time goes. The variety of threads make for interesting combinations, but it's hard to get a feel of the whole plot.

Now I'm not too sure. I'll either finish WoT or finish Eragon. Hmm.

Also, did you know there was actually a WoT TV pilot (a rights grab, but apparently not too terrible): http://io9.com/the-real-story-about-tha ... 1684773094

Return to “Campfire”