What are you currently reading?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 09 Oct 2010, 22:52

True. Very true.
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Oct 2010, 22:56

I just read an article about why school books are so badly written. It's mostly because the authors aren't interested in writing well; only in the science they are communicating.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Oct 2010, 23:17

Was it an article in the "Captain Obvious Daily" local paper?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Oct 2010, 09:41

There's nothing obvious about it. And no, it was a newspaper article, which we used in the teacher's academy. It actually made me remember one of my first university books, a chemistry introduction by Michael Munowitz. Not only did he know his chemistry, but he could also write well and explain things in a simple manner. When we changed to a Norwegian chemistry book a year later, that quality disappeared too.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Oct 2010, 14:23

There's nothing obvious about the purpose of a work influencing it's structure?! Right...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Oct 2010, 16:17

Don't be silly. The purpose of a school book is not merely to write down and publish knowledge, but to educate its readers. How is it supposed to do that when the pupils can hardly understand what's in it? Therefore, poorly written school books are in fact working against their own purpose; it's much like a teacher who knows a lot about stuff, but doesn't know how to teach it to others.

Thing is, this article claims that most of the authors aren't interested in writing well so that kids could learn; they were more interested in writing for themselves and their colleagues.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Oct 2010, 16:56

Very true. And difference between well written school book and just some summing up it's huge!

It's exactly the difference between people liking the book, whereas learning its subject, devouring it with hunger for knowledge and curiosity and certain passion or abandoning it.

And leaving is with: "Math is bad, it's boring subject.. . History is bad, why I should remember all these dates? etc.. "
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Oct 2010, 20:05

Kalah wrote:Don't be silly. The purpose of a school book is not merely to write down and publish knowledge, but to educate its readers.
Hahahaha... look at you and your crazy new age ideas...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Oct 2010, 20:50

Don't try to talk your way out of the fact that you didn't get the point. :tongue:

Right now I'm reading some stuff about bullying; it's for a paper we're handing in at the teachers' academy.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Oct 2010, 10:39

Yeah, i didn't get the point, it certainly wasn't that i was making fun of your naivete concerning the reason why someone would write a school book... or the fact that the conclusions of that article where pretty obvious.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Oct 2010, 11:50

The conclusions weren't obvious, that was the point. :tongue:

The "obvious" conclusion was that school books are written poorly because the authors can't write. But it's not that they can't. It's that they can't be bothered. :creative:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Oct 2010, 22:20

Xenocide, by Orson Scott Card
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Oct 2010, 09:52

Kalah wrote: The "obvious" conclusion was that school books are written poorly because the authors can't write. But it's not that they can't. It's that they can't be bothered. :creative:
Those 2 aren't exactly independent of each other you know...

And both of those where obvious... kinda like Twilight.

dogthenine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dogthenine » 20 Jan 2011, 22:18

I just started reading the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. I'm 500 pages in and it's very good so far.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jan 2011, 22:43

I'm reading Max Manus' autobiography.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Jan 2011, 13:50

The Illiad... on my mobile phone... man, where those ancient greeks a bunch of pricks or what...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Jan 2011, 16:11

Just the ancient ones? ;)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 21 Jan 2011, 17:53

Went back to Stephen King's The Dark Tower, Wizard and Glass now (by far my favorite of the series). Interesting, but I don't see myself reading another King again after that series.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Jan 2011, 18:11

"Gegužė ant nulūžusio beržo" (translation: "May on a crashed birch tree" or "Cuckoo on a crashed birch tree" depending on interpretation), a novel series by Juozas Aputis. It's another book that I have to read for school, but it's very amusing, because even though he writes only about countryside, the situations are quite original, good suspense is created and he just loves averting tropes. You can't expect the endings of any novel, or even if there will be an ending to begin with!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jan 2011, 12:03

Kalah wrote:Just the ancient ones? ;)
Well i haven't read any books about modern greeks, so i don't know...

Return to “Campfire”