What are you currently reading?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 29 Oct 2008, 14:34

Nostradamus: The Complete Prophecies by author John Hogue.
First-class study of Michel de Nostradamus and his prophecies concerning world events between March 1555 and 3797. Well written with good analyze of each of the original 1100 and more quatrains published by the French Seer who lived in the 16th century. Highly recommended!

Yurian the mystic
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 29 Oct 2008, 14:53

Angelspit wrote:I struggled through the first few chapters before giving up, but I plan to come back to it someday, hoping it is as good as Hyperion.
I can't put the thing down. The first few chapters were a bit slow, but it really picked up after that. Nevermind the fact that I still have no idea what's going on. :)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 29 Oct 2008, 17:49

John Ajvide Lindqvist: Let the Right One In.

So far an interesting vampire novel; not sure if I like it as much as his Zombie book, but not bad.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Nov 2008, 14:27

blacktrance wrote:Nah, probably wouldn't run that well on my computer.
That's just because you're not one of the "men of the mind" that can do anything...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 06 Nov 2008, 12:00

Last Pope: The Decline and Fall of the Church of Rome by author John Hogue. Mystical prophecies about the Popes of Rome attributed to the 12th century Irish Bishop and Prphet, St. Malachy. Interpretations by John Hogue the Rogue Scholar. Excellent book and a magical journey into the hidden world of inner visions.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Nov 2008, 20:34

I'm reading chapter #4 of my thesis... just polished it for the n'th time.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 07 Nov 2008, 15:12

Corribus wrote:*bump*

Right now I'm reading Illium by Dan Simmons, and it's fantastic. Best Sci-Fi I've read in years. Dan Simmons is quickly becoming my favorite author.
Last SF I read was Spin by Robert Charles Wilson and, currently, Spin State by Chris Moriarty, both in the original version.
I've read something by Simmons some ten years ago which I didn't find that good and then plunged into Hyperion - but stopped adter a few chapters; it wasn't gripping me.
I suppose, there will never be another one like good ole' Phil Dick, whom I've read wide-eyed as a teenager and later on.
Well, Galouye gripped me, not only the Simulacron novel - he's astonishing. Spinrad's Bug Jack Barron wasn't too bad either, and I really like most of Piers Anthony's stuff.
ZZZzzzz....

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 13 Nov 2008, 18:20

I can't help to mention
Joe Lansdale
here. If you like some out-of-the-ordinary stuff, try his Hap & Leonard novels, beginning with Savage Season.
Might be intresting for Grumpy, since it's settled in Texas, but I doubt he'll be all too pleased with the starring duo, :)
His splatter stuff , like Act of Love or Drive-In is fine as well, and he isn't ashamed to write Western stuff as well, which comes along pretty interesting, to say the least.
Joe Lansdale is pretty politically incorrect and enormous fun to read.
ZZZzzzz....

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Nov 2008, 19:29

Almost done with Narnia, Prince Caspian. That was meant to be some quick, easy reading, but I struggled through the middle chapters, wondering what was the point. A weak book compared to the previous one, but I'll watch the movie anyway.

I might go back to A Song of Ice and Fire next, third book.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Nov 2008, 21:30

Was reading Ian Rankin - "Mortal Causes". The language is living. Truly so, I liked that book and quickly assimilated it into my top ten. Somewhere after "Unwound Way" and rest.

Note: Of course that my top ten is having more than ten books. All is relative. :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 13 Nov 2008, 22:00

Yeah, Rankin is a killer. Fantastic atmosphere. I'm a Rebus fan. Completely.
Did you perchance watch the recent TV series? It's available on DvD?
ZZZzzzz....

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 13 Nov 2008, 22:16

I've just started reading Brave New World. It's a classic, I am told, so we'll see how it compares to all the praise it got from my parents :)
So far, I'm appauled and a bit disgusted, but still intrigued. And the humour with which at least the first few chapters are written is wonderful.
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Nov 2008, 22:28

@JJ
No. And I probably wouldn't. I love books over TV. At least in general perspective. As to DvD I have no idea, however, this thing could be certainly worthy of. Sounds alluring. ;)

@Milla
That's a perfect map. H3 3DO jewel!! :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 13 Nov 2008, 22:30

:rofl:
It's been made as a map for Unreal Tournament 2004 as well!
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 14 Nov 2008, 07:15

Pol wrote:@JJ
No. And I probably wouldn't. I love books over TV. At least in general perspective. As to DvD I have no idea, however, this thing could be certainly worthy of. Sounds alluring. ;)

@Milla
That's a perfect map. H3 3DO jewel!! :D
I mean this here;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rebus-Seasons-2 ... 285&sr=8-1

And while I agree with you in general you'll always have to make an exception with British crime series.
Cracker, Inspctor Morse, Prime Suspect, you name it.
Rebus is gripping because of two things:
1) The players. Ken Stott is just brilliant, Claire Price as Siobhan as well.
2) The speed; they managed to condense the complex novels to very straight things that - in the end - come out as straight as bullet. So while they leave out a lot of the twists and most of the private details of Rebus, they manage to create the atmosphere.
Which is pretty strange because on one hand it's not Rebus and Rankin at all, but on the other it's still the essence of it, brought to the point.
ZZZzzzz....

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 09 Dec 2008, 21:49

Simmons is just so good at wordcraft. His writing has a flow to it that just carries you along.

No doubt you have already partaken of the Hyperion series. But let me also recommend his early works Carrion Comfort and Summer of Night. I am rarely scared by stories in print, but these... well, see for yourself.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 13 Dec 2008, 03:26

Agreed, he is a master at word craft.

Unfortunately, my love for Illium was only matched by my disappointment with the novel's sequel, Olympos. I'm sorry to say that even though Illium was almost the perfect novel, the second half of Olympos was so disappointing I can't really recommend either one of them.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Feb 2009, 16:48

I just finished reading the complete Sherlock Holmes. Not sure what to move on to; it'll either be the Harry Potter collection or Dante's Divine Comedy.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 23 Feb 2009, 17:28

I'm currently reading Suomen kielen ääne- ja muoto-oppi, Finnish morphology, exciting :D... And a side of Mircea Cărtărescu (a contemporary Romanian author) and Mario Vargas Llosa (giving him a try... but the book is unfortunately kinda soap-operish... Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter).
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 24 Feb 2009, 16:53

Fantasy trilogy The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker, which aside from pushing my mastery of English to a new limit, turns out to be the best series I've read in years.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Return to “Campfire”