What are you currently reading?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 05 Mar 2006, 21:38

Close Range - Wyoming Stories by E. Annie Proulx. One of the short stories is Brokeback Mountain, the movie adaptation of which I just loved.

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 05 Mar 2006, 22:13

Just finished Farewell to Arms and Tale of Two Cities, both for school. Are there any two books which could possibly have been more different from each other in terms of style? The former I enjoyed greatly, and the latter had a great deal of enjoyable tidbits, but it was rather poorly paced. Also rereading a manga called Hellsing. It's a bit abrupt in terms of pacing, and very gorey, but the style is beautiful and it the characters and story are quite impressive.
Last edited by LordHoborgXVII on 06 Mar 2006, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Millenium!

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 06 Mar 2006, 03:17

Just finished some stories by Franz Kafka, a very underappreciated author I should say, and I shall likely go through my H.P. Lovecraft collection very soon. Ah Lovecraft, making nihilism have so much meaning... ;)
Hell has frozen over...

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 11 Mar 2006, 17:54

Recently finished reading The Hobbit for the second time. First time was in Paris, two years ago, right after I had bought it :D . I always read books I like more than once. I've read Asimov's Foundation a million times... I think I've said this before...

Next things I'll read will be my notes and essays on what I have to learn for my Romanian exams at the end of the year: literature. LOTS of literature. Wohoo.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 11 Mar 2006, 18:38

Pyramids (relativity) from Terry Pratchett.

Yes, rereading them as well. I had never read the Asimov's Foundation in original, but I like him and the one who did the translating, likes him too. Great job ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 11 Mar 2006, 18:49

I haven't read the English original either. I've had the Foundation, Second Foundation and Forward to the Foundation volumes for almost 20 years (they were my brother's first). I've been "hunting" the rest of the collection for some time now, and the only one that I need to have them all is Prelude to the Foundation.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 11 Mar 2006, 19:11

I have only "Peeble in the Sky", which is loosely tied to the main Nadation's series as many others ;) - Thirty to be exact, as it is written on the back cover of this one...

The rest of serie, core, kindly provided me our local library~ies. And I have pushing feeling, that I had read them all. This is still not true for the thirty extending stories.

I had also read his biography, in original, if that's count ;|
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Mar 2006, 09:41

I had all three books from the first foundation series on my computer,but it fried with my hard :( Now I have to find out who I got that cd from.Prelude I have in english,as well as the currents of space.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Mar 2006, 14:32

DaemianLucifer wrote:I had all three books from the first foundation series on my computer,but it fried with my hard :( Now I have to find out who I got that cd from.Prelude I have in english,as well as the currents of space.
You don't really need a cd if you have the internet.... :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

george137
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby george137 » 13 Mar 2006, 19:25

I'm currently reading Blink by: Malcolm Gladwell. It's a very good book that I highly recommend.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 13 Mar 2006, 20:45

one history book, two books about faroese folke songs (150 + verses in each of the songs) and one book specificly about... well he is either called Karl the Great or Charlemagne in English... the old Frensch emperor. And yes I'm doing an big schoolthingy about two faroese folke songs about Charlemagne, Karlamagnus, Karl the great and his trusty knight Roland, Rolant, and comparing them to the arabs they are fighting whom the history books claim are Europeans :shh: whamps bath bood dfor?

*takes of the tape* and for fun i'm reading a book about Faroese politics :creative:

But the last book I finished was the Hitvhikers Guide to the Galaxy, so it are not only factual books I read :proud:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Mar 2006, 06:20

ThunderTitan wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:I had all three books from the first foundation series on my computer,but it fried with my hard :( Now I have to find out who I got that cd from.Prelude I have in english,as well as the currents of space.
You don't really need a cd if you have the internet.... :devious:
That goes just for no copy protection books :devil:

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Apr 2006, 14:50

Having just finished The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, I started Illium by Dan Simmons. I'll post some comments in a couple of days.
Last edited by Angelspit on 04 Apr 2006, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 04 Apr 2006, 15:19

Why don't you go on with the rest of the series?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Apr 2006, 15:34

I wanted something a little more meaty, even though my girlfriend told me the third book of the series was quite different. But I'll go back to Narnia someday for sure.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 04 Apr 2006, 15:45

Third? [rummaging throught books] Oh, yeah. "The Horse and his Boy". It is a very good book, a novel of initiation with a great atmosphere: you can almost feel the hot desert sun beyond Tashbaan, drawing you beyond, to mythical Narnia... In fact, book 3 and book 5 ("Voyage of the Dawn Trader") were my favourites.

Oh, and isn't that Illium? (just did a quick wikipedia search)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Oct 2006, 02:03

Pratchet is a god!Currently Im reading maskarade.Its the first of discworld series that I found in english,too,so I am extra delighted to see all of the puns as they were intended to be seen.Of,and the book has one of the most romantic songs that Ive read for a long time:
This damn' door sticks
This damn' door sticks
It sticks no matter what the hell I do
It's marked "Pull" and indeed I am pulling
Perhaps it should be marked "Push"?
:rofl:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Oct 2006, 02:17

Well, haven't read any pratchet .... but rereading Feist while wating for Janny Wurts to put the finishing touches on Stormed Fortress and RJ to recover from his illness/disease/whatever or GRRM to get finished with Dance of Dragons already!
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 26 Oct 2006, 02:22

I gave up on Illium and started Stephen King's The Dark Tower instead. I'm in the middle of book 2 now.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 26 Oct 2006, 10:22

I'm currently reading something as simple as "In Her Shoes". It's captivating :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Return to “Campfire”