What are you currently reading?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
DemonHunter
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DemonHunter » 03 Feb 2006, 17:52

I can recommend books written by Raymond E. Feist, he writes good fantasybooks

all different series wich fit into one big storyline

Kilfire
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kilfire » 03 Feb 2006, 17:53

I've started reading science fiction again, having found a place where I can get hold of Interzone and Analog. Can't get them at W.H.Smith or even at Forbidden Planet now, have to go to "Borders" in the middle of Glasgow.

I also recently finished "Absolution Gap" by Alastair Reynolds. It's got an interesting blend of science and religion-as-virus.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 03 Feb 2006, 18:06

Currently searching for the next read...

Flipping back and forth from World War II for Dummies and some book on Wine from my girlfriend (I'm a beer drinker).

I need a good fiction book (just re-read Narnia). I was thinking about going with Eragon - Inheritance Trilogy, Book One by Christopher Paolini - to be followed by The Eldest. Anyone read them?

Just finished "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman. It's about globalization and the way the world is becoming flatter (metaphor) and goes into the ten "flatteners" (Fall of the Berlin Wall, Netscape IPO, Work flow software, Open-sourcing, Outsourcing, Offshoring, Supply-chaining, Insourcing, In-forming and Wireless.).
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 03 Feb 2006, 18:15

Symeon Star-Eyes wrote:My girlfriend is currently reading "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Marquez. She really likes it, so I was wondering whether I should give Marquez a try. Is "One Hundred Years of Solitude" better, though?
I don't really know the other one, but I doubt that it can be better. "One Hundred Years of Solitude" is a must-read book, so read it.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 03 Feb 2006, 19:00

At the moment, I'm reading for my tests. I am also reading: "This is how they lived in Ancient Greece", a nonfiction book about life in Athens in the ancient times.

And comics, fantasy and sci-fi, as soon as the tests have gone by.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Tao Jones
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tao Jones » 05 Feb 2006, 02:08

Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions, by Lisa Randall, ISBN-0060531088.

Hiding in the Mirror: The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond, by Lawrence M. Krauss, ISBN-0670033952.

The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design, by Lawrence Susskind, ISBN-0316155799.

...and I'm reading them for fun.
killfire wrote:I've started reading science fiction again, having found a place where I can get hold of Interzone and Analog. Can't get them at W.H.Smith or even at Forbidden Planet now, have to go to "Borders" in the middle of Glasgow.
Do yourself a huge favor and subscribe at analogsf.com. I'm not sure how much longer you're going to be able to get digest-sized magazines at any retail outlet, and they could really use your support, as they make more money from subscriptions.
»« Conquering Earth for our robot masters »«

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 05 Feb 2006, 19:16

Just read the first three parts of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. Very nice plot twists, a gritty medieval setting. I haven't started the fourth book though, since I don't have any time for reading right now. I'm also trying to get a copy of Robert E Howard's Solomon Kane, but again I don't have any time yet, with tests and all. Howard is a marvellous writer though.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 05 Feb 2006, 21:23

Speaking of G.R.R. Martin, one of my favourite books is Tuf Voyaging! That book is a marvellous blend of SF, humour and seriousness! And it has cats! :D
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Feb 2006, 18:13

Curently Im reading sunstorm.Its the sequel of times eye,by clarke and baxter.Interestingly though,times eye is a first book by clarke Ive read that has a mass battle in it(a battle between alexander the great and gingis kahn)

vulnevia
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby vulnevia » 17 Feb 2006, 15:52

I'm reading Robin Hobb's new book, "Soldier son" and an Anthony Burgess book; "the Wanting seed". I really recommend everything Robin Hobb has written.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 17 Feb 2006, 15:59

Tao Jones wrote:Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions, by Lisa Randall, ISBN-0060531088.

Hiding in the Mirror: The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond, by Lawrence M. Krauss, ISBN-0670033952.

The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design, by Lawrence Susskind, ISBN-0316155799.

...and I'm reading them for fun.

Hmmmm... Are you from another dimension perhaps? 8|
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Tao Jones
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tao Jones » 18 Feb 2006, 07:16

wimfrits wrote:Hmmmm... Are you from another dimension perhaps? 8|
I never warp-n-tell...

Seriously, if you seek answers to the most basic of questions - who are we, where do we come from, where are we going, and is my luggage going to arrive at the same destination - then physics and cosmology are the most likely places to find them.

Actually, I just like to wait until some smart-aleck at a party asks "So, if you're in your car and you're going the speed of light and you turn on your headlights, what happens?" And then I tell them.

Ok, really seriously, these two fields of study are approaching a breakthrough in our understanding of space, time, and reality that is likely to change the human race forever. Soon, thanks to the tireless efforts of scientists laboring the world over, we'll all be perpetually tan, cut and buffed, and smell like freshly-baked bread.

Really, really seriously... I am from another dimension. But I have done the headlights thing.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Feb 2006, 13:10

Tao Jones wrote:
Actually, I just like to wait until some smart-aleck at a party asks "So, if you're in your car and you're going the speed of light and you turn on your headlights, what happens?" And then I tell them.
So... what does happen? Does the universe blow up?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 18 Feb 2006, 13:14

Macroeconomy, Chapter 2.

I have a test in 3 weeks. :disagree:
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Feb 2006, 13:20

ThunderTitan wrote:
Tao Jones wrote:
So... what does happen? Does the universe blow up?
If you were to reach the speed of light in that car,first youd shrink to singularity.At the same time your time would stop flowing,and your mass would expand.Basically youd be turned into one gaint mutated foton,and thus being unable to turn your lights in the first place :devil:

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 19 Feb 2006, 00:06

Tao Jones wrote: Seriously, if you seek answers to the most basic of questions - who are we, where do we come from, where are we going, and is my luggage going to arrive at the same destination - then physics and cosmology are the most likely places to find them.
Actually the most likely places to find them are in Heroes of Might and Magic. These wonderful modules have all the answers to the universe that one needs, all compiled wonderfully.Image
Tao Jones wrote: Actually, I just like to wait until some smart-aleck at a party asks "So, if you're in your car and you're going the speed of light and you turn on your headlights, what happens?" And then I tell them.
It's pretty obvious, isn't it? Your car has to end its movement for the turn, has its line of sight 0, and when you attempt to move it the next day its colours get inverted and you can see the edges of its sprite, and you get a syntax error at memory location &34DF37567C. Simple. Pure speculation can reveal the answer to the deepest of mysteries. Who needs science?

Tao Jones
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tao Jones » 19 Feb 2006, 00:28

Firstly, you can't reach the speed of light in your car, or spaceship, no matter how powerful it is. You'd need an infinite amount of energy to do that.

But say you were to accelerate to a significant fraction of it (99.99%) and turned on your lights. From inside your car, the beams would seem normal in every respect. This is because the speed of light is the same for all observers (and also the reason that moving clocks run slower).

The beams bouncing off objects nearly in your path (and moving slower, relatively, as you approached them) would be bluer, while objects already passed would be seen as redder.

An observer watching the car go by would first see the beams blue-shifted into the far ultraviolet, then they would Doppler down to the far infra-red after you passed by.

Your car would appear to them to be only a fraction of an inch thick in your direction of travel, by the way.

On second thought, I like Lord H's explanation better. Camelot - it's a silly place. Let's not go there.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 19 Feb 2006, 01:07

Firstly, you can't reach the speed of light in your car, or spaceship, no matter how powerful it is. You'd need an infinite amount of energy to do that..
Oh, you can, and when you will be in, it will render as totally unimportant if you're really in the car, bus, spaceship or on your owns. (As anyone of these won't be source of the given speed) Tachyons can do that...
If you were to reach the speed of light in that car,first youd shrink to singularity.At the same time your time would stop flowing,and your mass would expand.Basically youd be turned into one gaint mutated foton,and thus being unable to turn your lights in the first place...
That's relative, maybe correct from your angle of view but not from the car's driver... :gong:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 20 Feb 2006, 17:14

I've recently finished reading the whole Chronicles of Narnia set, something I wanted to do ever since I was 10 or 11, but never had the chance to. I must say, it's not necessarily a children's book. Anyone can read it at any age, because it's pure and simply wonderful, IMO.

@ to all the light-speed-discussing-persons
What happens when a snail is running with the speed of turned off light?
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Feb 2006, 17:26

theLuckyDragon wrote: What happens when a snail is running with the speed of turned off light?
Elementary my dear tLD, he turns into a Mutated Gaint Snail!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Campfire”