The Football (Soccer) Topic

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 19 Jun 2008, 23:56

darknessfood wrote:Well, truth is that the Germans played very well, and they deserved to win this time.... EEErrrrr, WHAT DID I SAY :scared: !!!
They will be kicked in the nuts by the dutch in the final anyway. Let them be happy for a while.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Ar.Pi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Ar.Pi » 20 Jun 2008, 01:06

My prediction is Germany Vs Netherlands in the final, Netherlands to win.

Russia vs Netherlands should be an awesome game! cant wait :)

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 20 Jun 2008, 05:43

Fine, that went as predicted. Air space dominance in standard situations made indeed all the difference in the game and even though Portugal played one complete hour very offensively they didn't get even ONE free kick from a dangerous position - ample evidence for Germany's very thoughtful and intelligent defesive work with a function defensive midfield.

The game was a lot better than I thought it would be, thanks to the fine first goal. If Schweinsteiger could show this kind of performance regularly he would be long playing for some British or Spanish top club.

Interestingly enough it's all over history yet again. As predicted, a bad group phase resulting in a stumbling success is leading inevitably to a good tourney performance with great games - both for Germany and Italy.

I wish for the Dutch that Spain will eliminate Italy - if Italy pulls through, the rematch against the Dutch would be QUITE a different game.
The same is of course true for Croatia. If Croatia beats Turkey today which seems entirely possible, we'll see how good a coach Slaven Bilic really is or will be. A rematch will be hell for Croatia because it just wouldn't be enough to show their very good performance of the first game again: they will have to play better than that - a lot better, in fact - to win that one again.

I'm really looking forward to the next 3 QFs. I was looking forward to Holland-Russia since the first group round when Russia lost 4:1, but it was pretty clear that they would beat both Greece and Sweden with ease, if able to stabilize their defense and make better use of their scoring opportunities.

Of course the Russians can't play that way against Holland - it would result in something like 20:20 chances and a score of 5:2 for Oranje, and Hiddink is no fool. So I expect Russia to play with one more defensive midfield instead of Belialedtinov. Will still be a technical highlight.

Let me add that I think, the semi on the C/D axis is wide open, no matter what it will be. Holland-Spain, Holland-Italy, both will be tight games. Naturally, Holland-Spain would be more interesting, since we haven't seen that one, and if a team can beat the Italians, when they are wounded and wide awake it IS probably Spain.
I don't think Russia has a good chance to beat the Dutch, but they had ztheir aha-effect in the first game, so who knows. If Russia comes through to the semi they may even make the final.
In the other group, BEFORE the tourney you'd have expected a semi Portugal-Germany (and the game yesterday was proof it would have been a good one). Due to having seen Germany-Croatia, Croatia-Portugal would have been the semi to wish for, but that's not possible anymore.

While the Turks did well in the last 15 minutes against the Czechs, imo it was more a case of collectice Czech team failure including their goalie, and I don't think that Turkey is strong enough to beat Croatia who looks pretty solid, defensively.
So a rematch Croatia-Germany seems likely to me. That game would have been a tight one - if they hadn't played against each other before. As it is, I think Germany clearly has an edge here.

This means, the final will be Germany against any of the other four contenders. My personal hope is Oranje since I've money placed on them when they were at a fabulous 13:1 odds. In a final Germany-Holland I'll win no matter how they play, so I'm with the Dutch.
Last edited by Jolly Joker on 20 Jun 2008, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
ZZZzzzz....

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 20 Jun 2008, 06:55

The failure of Portugal is no surprise to me: if you depend on a single talented but emotionally unstable, 23 year old boy, shit will eventually happen. The very overrated (only because of that boy) Portuguese were screwed in the exact moment they met a serious opponent.
I think this will happen to Spain too, and Holland will beat the Italians in a much closer match than before.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 20 Jun 2008, 07:26

I think that Portugal's DEFENSE is the problem, not Ronaldo. Even without Ronaldo their offense is quite good and they have a very solid midfield. I agree, they were overrated, but not because of Ronaldo. They have no good goalie and their defense is vulnerable in the air.
They scored twice, which should have been enough.

Spain is indeed comparable. Casillas does not appear to be as stable as he used to be, and their defense didn't look good against Russia, as long as the game was 0:0. If Russia had scored the first goal, they might have lost. However, if Spain is leading, with 2 excellent forwards the pressure is totally on the opponent. The Spanish can tighten their defense, forcing the opponent to take bigger risk and then their forwards are pretty deadly. Of course that is true for Holland as well - in a game Holland-Spain the first scorer will have an incredible advantage, but I think that the Dutch have the better defense: Boularouz played excellent against the strong French left side, and they have no glaring weaknesses. Moreover van der Saar is very probably the best goalie of the tourney, so I'd give the advantage to the Dutch.
Spain against Italy is something special. Toni is the better tank or shock attacker due to his skill in fouling his opponents BEFORE the attention is on him or them. It's comparable with Germany's third goal when Ballack bend the rules in the right moment, shoving his opponent before he'd actually left the ground, so it looked like he just has misjudged his timing. Very clever, very professional, very successful. Spains attack is depending on lightning fast passing and the pace of their forwards - everything is possible.

On another note, I think that Germany vs. Holland would be a rather open thing. You know, the Dutch have a habit to look down on the - for them - technically "crude" Germans resulting in underrating their sheer and brutal strength. It's like a fine rapier scoring superficial wounds against an awkward sabre, scoffing and dancing - but one hit of the sabre will have a devastating effect. Oranje can win only if they are prepared to take the fight - they cannot beat Germany with technical skill alone.
ZZZzzzz....

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 20 Jun 2008, 09:03

Domenech is surely a funny guy... or maybe just pathetic?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2151036 ... -goal.html

He justifies the timing of the marriage proposal with this:

"Everything was so sad, I thought life has some beautiful moments and you should tell people you love them. I wanted to show some emotion."

Right Ray, tell those disappointed and frustrated french football fans, that there is no need to worry, life is good, since you can still bang your girlfriend! I'm sure they will see things in a different light now.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 20 Jun 2008, 09:14

"Domenech yesterday made a bizarre excuse that the cul-de-sac layout of the team's hotel next to Lake Geneva, Switzerland, forced his team into a "closed" style of play against Italy, the Netherhands and Romania."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I suppose, if they cancel his contract on July, 3rd, which is all too likely, since there never has been much love lost between him and the fans and probably everyone else, since his contract expires only in 2010 he won't have any financial problems and live happily with his girlfriend.
ZZZzzzz....

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 20 Jun 2008, 12:14

Veldrynus wrote:
darknessfood wrote:Well, truth is that the Germans played very well, and they deserved to win this time.... EEErrrrr, WHAT DID I SAY :scared: !!!
They will be kicked in the nuts by the dutch in the final anyway. Let them be happy for a while.
Yeah, it's gonna be a massacre!!! :D
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 20 Jun 2008, 13:32

First they must both reach the final.
ZZZzzzz....

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 20 Jun 2008, 14:11

Arshaavin is pretty good isn't he?

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 20 Jun 2008, 14:53

Yep. Russia won't be a pushover.
ZZZzzzz....

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 20 Jun 2008, 20:19

Bleh, how can a match be this boring?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jun 2008, 21:17

Aaaand after 118 minutes of boredom, things really hot up! :-D

Two goals in two minutes, and once again, just as we thought Turkey were done, they punch back!
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 20 Jun 2008, 21:20

Holy Crap! :rofl:

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 20 Jun 2008, 21:20

Turkey - I'll be damned! :D I'll be surprised if Turkey won't win the penalties.
Last edited by arturchix on 20 Jun 2008, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jun 2008, 21:22

Chance for Rüstu to redeem himself after the horrible mistake he made...

But I'm with the Croatians. Go, Croatia! Go, Modric! :-D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 20 Jun 2008, 21:29

See, I told you! Croatia had a knockdown after the Turkish last minute goal so the penalties result is obvious.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jun 2008, 21:41

If history teaches us anything it is that penalty shootout results are never obvious! ;)

But dude, this is insane... just.. improbable. The Turks have been in this situation three times now. Three times have they been "as good as out" and then punched back and managed to squeeze through. Sort of reminds me of the World Cup 2002, when they won their last group game and went through on better goal difference than Costa Rica, and then they beat both Japan and Senegal 1-0 to go all the way to the semi final (where they were once again beaten by Brazil).

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 20 Jun 2008, 21:41

After putting me to sleep for so many minutes it was an exciting finish.

Too bad Germany is going to destroy them no matter who won.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 20 Jun 2008, 22:48

Wow, what an ending. I tuned in at the last 10 minutes of the extention. WOW, just mindblowing what happened there. The Turkish really tore the minds of the Croations appart by scoring in the last seconds of the match. They were out of their minds and could not concentrate AT ALL. I don't remember a match that ended with penalties where only 1 player scores 8| !
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Return to “Campfire”