Server?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 28 Sep 2008, 17:58

Oops sorry, I knew about that thread but couldn't find it, forgot it was sticky :D

The big problem for me is that when I log in a new day, a lot of sub-forums are "new", so when I'm finished reading all of them someone might have posted something and I press that button and I won't see it's new :D
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 28 Sep 2008, 18:42

It annoys the heck out of me too :mad: :mad: :disagree: :mad: :devil:

Aaargh!
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Sep 2008, 21:19

Speed related: I thought about buying my own server one day and putting it in my home. Could run CH from that, but it requires a lot more knowledge than I currently have...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 28 Sep 2008, 21:34

Duuuude...
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 29 Sep 2008, 02:54

Kalah wrote:Speed related: I thought about buying my own server one day and putting it in my home. Could run CH from that, but it requires a lot more knowledge than I currently have...
And what's the purpose of it? I mean why to have a separate server to run CH from it?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 29 Sep 2008, 10:51

Well, currently we share a server with other websites. So as to make the site faster and potentially save a few dimes, Kalah thought about getting a home server ;)
- Dragon Age Origins

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Sep 2008, 15:13

Yeah, a small site like CH can't really afford to rent a dedicated server (it's something like $140/month), at least not now that the traffic is so low. The thing we can do if it becomes really bad, is switch to another server and hope it has less traffic. That requires a lot of work, however.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 29 Sep 2008, 15:34

Kalah wrote:Speed related: I thought about buying my own server one day and putting it in my home. Could run CH from that, but it requires a lot more knowledge than I currently have...
Protecyon could set it up remotely (we considering it before). But you'd need a fairly generous Internet connection to handle the traffic.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Sep 2008, 16:22

Yes, that's also an issue. I have a good connection now (6000/1000), but according to protecyon :allhail: it's the upload speed that needs looking into: he said at least 1500, and I'd prefer more, actually. So I would not only have to learn more about how to run servers, but I'd also have to talk to the internet providers about setting up a new deal. I can't do that where I live at the moment anyway, so it's just a possible idea for the future.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 29 Sep 2008, 16:49

Once you think you're all fine with your current hosting and things go smoothly, a new game comes out, traffics goes out of the roof and you need an emergency plan because the host doesn't give a crap about your little fan site. :D

Or worse the host suddenly enforces more severe CPU usage limitations and will only admit it several weeks later. I'm looking at you BlueHost, may you rot in hell.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Sep 2008, 17:35

Yeah, they really sucked... *gives BlueHost the finger* :D

Honestly, the server hardware itself doesn't cost much; I've found stuff at about $500. I'm not sure about the deal with the provider, though. That would have to be reasonable as well. I'm currently paying about £100/month for my personal connection. Even if doubling that to include server hosting, I'd still include that original $100 in the total, since I'd still be using the line to surf as well. No problem there. If they'd want me to set up a seperate deal for the server hosting in addition to my current line, forget it.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 29 Sep 2008, 22:26

Milla wrote:Well, currently we share a server with other websites. So as to make the site faster and potentially save a few dimes, Kalah thought about getting a home server :)
Didn't know that. I wish I could help.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 30 Sep 2008, 01:44

Kalah wrote:I'm currently paying about £100/month for my personal connection.
Yikes, that's a lot of money.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Sep 2008, 03:09

Norway's an expensive country. Plus, I got that wrong... it $100/month, dollars, not pounds (hits self)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Oct 2008, 09:46

Varying degrees of slowness today... comes and goes, but really sluggish once it decides to take a nap. I'm beginning to think this future plan of mine should be tried out... Hmm, nap, yes, that sounds like a good idea. Think I'll hit the couch.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 14 Oct 2008, 10:23

I didn't encountered any slowness in the last one and a half hour... ;|

Chai26
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Chai26 » 14 Oct 2008, 10:34

there are things wrong with the server? 8|
never noticed, ever.
Voodoo Child
Some say, he/she sucks the moisture out of ducks.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 14 Oct 2008, 11:07

It's so strange that only Hangman has slowdowns at times... wonder why?
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Oct 2008, 14:12

Kalah wrote:Norway's an expensive country. Plus, I got that wrong... it $100/month, dollars, not pounds (hits self)
I have broadband for about $40/month, and there are cheaper offers.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 14 Oct 2008, 14:20

I also pay around $40/month and have excellent speed - it can get to 8 Mbps

I'm not sure about the upload speed though, but I know it's lower.

Return to “Campfire”