custom forum skins

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
vhilhu
Druid
Druid

custom forum skins

Unread postby vhilhu » 19 Jun 2007, 11:44

custom forum skins - how do you do them? im hosting on freeforums.org, and i am given only a list of skins to choose from, and i can change only the heading picture, and of course other admin stuff, but not custom skins -_-

but as this forum has custom skins, does anyone wanna enlighten me?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Jun 2007, 11:47

Check profile->Board style.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: custom forum skins

Unread postby Panda Tar » 19 Jun 2007, 11:58

vhilhu wrote: but as this forum has custom skins, does anyone wanna enlighten me?
Buddy, you could also check this thread:
New Round Table layouts. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 19 Jun 2007, 12:04

Panda Tar wrote:
vhilhu wrote: but as this forum has custom skins, does anyone wanna enlighten me?
Buddy, you could also check this thread:
New Round Table layouts. :D
yup i know it HAS, thats why i said that, im using inferno theme myself since i joined, iirc. i meant, as this one has custom skins, you ppl should know how can i get custom skins on my own forum where im admin?

Elvin wrote:Check profile->Board style.
i dont think you understood what i asked.

how do i import custom skins when im an admin? (by "custom" i mean skins not listed in the Administration Panel -> Styles Admin -> Add)
Last edited by vhilhu on 19 Jun 2007, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Jun 2007, 12:05

Yeah sorry, hasty reply.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 19 Jun 2007, 12:34

vhilhu wrote: yup i know it HAS, thats why i said that, im using inferno theme myself since i joined, iirc. i meant, as this one has custom skins, you ppl should know how can i get custom skins on my own forum where im admin?
Then you could ask the responsible for that directly, of these boards, that is. If memory doesn't fail me, that'd be Robenhagen, or just ask Angelspit either way. :-D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 19 Jun 2007, 13:08

You don't know phpbb guide how to install your own themes?

Should be still like that

Edit: for creating your owns, perhaps google, that format is documented.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 19 Jun 2007, 16:20

What kind of forum do you administer? (It will surely help in order to get you the right help.)
I was lookin’ back to see if you were lookin’ back at me to see me lookin’ back at you.

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 19 Jun 2007, 16:37

:up: Bar that - a short visit to freeforums.org reveals that you use phpbb forums like this one.

Customizing your skin(s) firstly requires you to have root access, which I suppose you have, since you were able to change the header image.

To fully customize it, you'll need to locate the forum template folder (.../forums/templates/) in this folder there should be yet another folder with the name of your skin - download the folder (and subfolders) to your desktop.
Inside the skin folder there's an 'admin' folder, an 'images' folder and a load of tlp-files. Start from one end and replace all the images in the 'images' with your own images (make sure you keep all file names and image sizes as they initially were). When you're done upload the template folder to whereever it should go.

Entering your forum looks really weird now, since the images probably doesn't fit the colors of the forum. Enter the Admin panel and select the 'Styles Admin/Management' from the menu on the left. Click 'edit' next to your skin and you'll access the CSS stylesheet settings. Here you can change the colors of your skin (if there's no descriptive text in the 'Simple name' column, then this part is a bit tricky, since you need to guess what color goes where).

If you want to make several skins based on the same template (like I've made for RT (using the Igloo template)) you'll need to do some editing of the php code in the tlp files.

I hope it helps a bit, but you're welcome to contact me by email or pm if you need some more explanation.
I was lookin’ back to see if you were lookin’ back at me to see me lookin’ back at you.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 19 Jun 2007, 17:00

I can't use one. I was circumcised. ;|
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Jun 2007, 17:12

Caradoc wrote:I can't use one. I was circumcised. ;|
Haven't they invented surgery to fix that yet?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 19 Jun 2007, 21:08

i tried going to /templates, but got error 403. asked on their forum about why i cant access it, and got that custom templates arent possible with freeforums.org :/ and it seems you have to pay for all such stuff. so much for "free"forums, its like offering just a demo. :disagree:

ill try out forumsvibe.com tomorrow, maybe theyve got it right.

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 20 Jun 2007, 18:47

If you have a place to host your forum, you can download all the needed phpbb forum files from their homepage and then set it up from scratch.

Return to “Campfire”