Bizarre News

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Feb 2006, 00:26

Mutare Drake wrote:Yeah, you're right...maybe he ought to be doing the gluing! Sure hope those guys get overtime...sheesh...
Nah,theyll just hire a bunch of chinese to do it for peanuts :devil:

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 03 Feb 2006, 03:35

@ Corribus: you're terrible. Shouldn't it be rice or soybeans though? :devil:

Anyway, I've finally got another story...not too wonderful, but...

A 16-year-old kid in Boston (with no license) stole a Honda Civic. After the owner reported the theft, the kid fled with the car, followed by police. He then went to drive through a city-owned parking lot - only to find that it was full of marked police cars. Then, to make it worse, he crashed into one of their tow trucks. He was caught and is now facing several criminal charges.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Feb 2006, 11:31

The roadkill recipe book.
For most, a squashed hedgehog or flattened badger lying on the side of the road is a tragic sight - for Arthur Boyt it is an opportunity for a free, tasty and nutritious meal. Mr Boyt has spent the last 50 years scraping carcasses from the side of the road and chucking them, together with a few herbs and spices, into his cooking pot.

The retired civil servant has sampled the delights of weasel, rat and cat. His most unusual meal was a greater horseshoe bat, which he reckons is not dissimilar in taste to grey squirrel, if the comparison helps. Fox tends to repeat on him. He has tucked into labrador, nibbled at otter and could not resist trying porcupine when he came across a spiky corpse while on holiday in Canada.

Yesterday Mr Boyt (favourite snack: badger sandwich) announced he is ready to share the secrets of his curious culinary success with a wider audience and is writing a roadkill recipe book.
www.mirabilis.ca/2006/01/30/roadkill-recipe-book/
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 03 Feb 2006, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Feb 2006, 11:32

Mutare Drake wrote:A 16-year-old kid in Boston (with no license) stole a Honda Civic. After the owner reported the theft, the kid fled with the car, followed by police. He then went to drive through a city-owned parking lot - only to find that it was full of marked police cars. Then, to make it worse, he crashed into one of their tow trucks. He was caught and is now facing several criminal charges.
Haha!You know,thats exactly what a friend of mine did.Well,not exactly,because it was his car,and he had a liscence,but he was drunk and he crached into a police car parked on a police parking.Lucky for him that the guy he rammed was very unpopular so he got away pretty easily.

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 03 Feb 2006, 11:48

@ TT - Wow, that's just nasty. Maybe where he lives the roadkill is cleaner than mine at least...I keep driving past this dead deer that's been slowly disintegrating for a few months now, and I could never imagine eating it. Not that I'm not doing gross stuff though - Christmas Eve I was going to pick up these raccoons for the tails (someone'd already removed them, so that didn't work) and a few times I've kept track of dead animals in my woods so I can go get the bones later. But eating them? Ick.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Feb 2006, 12:07

Mutare Drake wrote:@ TT - Wow, that's just nasty. Maybe where he lives the roadkill is cleaner than mine at least...I keep driving past this dead deer that's been slowly disintegrating for a few months now, and I could never imagine eating it. Not that I'm not doing gross stuff though - Christmas Eve I was going to pick up these raccoons for the tails (someone'd already removed them, so that didn't work) and a few times I've kept track of dead animals in my woods so I can go get the bones later. But eating them? Ick.
Well all of the animals youve ever eaten were dead.Its just a matter of preparing them.Sure,you could never eat that deer,but if someone pick it up and made it into a soup Im sure youd enjoy it very much.Ignorance is bliss.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Feb 2006, 13:33

DaemianLucifer wrote: Well all of the animals youve ever eaten were dead.Its just a matter of preparing them.Sure,you could never eat that deer,but if someone pick it up and made it into a soup Im sure youd enjoy it very much.Ignorance is bliss.
I'm pretty sure Rotten Deer Soup™ would taste awful. I'm guessing that guy only cooks fresh road kill.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Feb 2006, 18:00

Birds, birds and more birds! That's the topic of todays news:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060202/D8FH2FV08.html

Birds Die From Flying 'Drunk' Into Windows
Feb 2, 10:40 AM (ET)

VIENNA, Austria (AP) - Experts who conducted tests on 40 songbirds found dead in Vienna say they didn't die of bird flu as initially feared, but slammed into windows after becoming intoxicated from eating fermented berries.

The birds - whose remains were carefully examined to ensure they were not victims of avian influenza - had livers so diseased "they looked like they were chronic alcoholics," Sonja Wehsely, a spokeswoman for Vienna's veterinary authority, told Austrian television Thursday.

All died of broken necks after slamming into windowpanes, apparently after gorging themselves on berries that had begun to rot, turning the juice inside to alcohol, Wehsely said. She said the juice probably continued to ferment as the birds digested the berries, causing them to become disoriented and fly into the panes.

Their discovery last month in a residential neighborhood of Vienna had triggered concerns that bird flu had reached the Austrian capital.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Feb 2006, 18:00

One more bird article:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060203/D8FHCMF85.html

Karate Experts Hired to Control Parrots

Feb 2, 10:17 PM (ET)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - Organizers of a vintage car rally have hired karate experts to protect vehicles from marauding native parrots, a media report said Friday.

Around 40 members of a local karate club have been enlisted to protect around 140 classic cars due to visit an alpine village near Mt. Cook on New Zealand's South Island on Sunday, the New Zealand Press Association reported.

The karate experts will protect the cars from Keas, sharp-beaked native parrots which have been known to damage vehicles in their search for shiny items, NZPA said.

Denis Callesen, manager of the nearby Hermitage Hotel, said bird lovers needn't be concerned that the karate experts would use martial arts moves on the parrots, which are a protected species. Their job would simply be to scare the birds away, he said.

Local wildlife ranger Ray Bellringer said the karate masters were unlikely to deter the Keas.

"They will fly around and laugh," he said.

The best method to prevent Keas from damaging vehicles was to squirt them with water pistols, he added.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 03 Feb 2006, 18:02

Wimfrits better watch out for those karate masters.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 03 Feb 2006, 18:14

Corribus wrote: All died of broken necks after slamming into windowpanes, apparently after gorging themselves on berries that had begun to rot, turning the juice inside to alcohol, Wehsely said. She said the juice probably continued to ferment as the birds digested the berries, causing them to become disoriented and fly into the panes.
Remember kids: eating any "food" with the word "fermented" in it will make you wish you hadn't...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Feb 2006, 18:15

So alcochol can indeed kill you? :devil:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 03 Feb 2006, 18:36

The wrong kind certainly can.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Feb 2006, 18:47

Gaidal Cain wrote:The wrong kind certainly can.
This is why you should not drink "home-distilled" spirits like moonshine.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 04 Feb 2006, 05:49

Corribus wrote:Birds, birds and more birds! That's the topic of todays news:
When I visited Australia, I made a trip to Kuola Bear park where there were signs warning you to be on the lookout for falling bears. It seems the park has enough eucalyptus that they are able to dine on it exclusively, while in the wild it would be only one of several types of leaves they would eat. As a result, they get so high on the eucalyptus that they fall out of the trees.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Feb 2006, 12:03

charleswatkins wrote: When I visited Australia, I made a trip to Kuola Bear park where there were signs warning you to be on the lookout for falling bears. It seems the park has enough eucalyptus that they are able to dine on it exclusively, while in the wild it would be only one of several types of leaves they would eat. As a result, they get so high on the eucalyptus that they fall out of the trees.
So they were warning people about Drop Bears! How nice of them! :devious: Did they also have Hoop Snakes there? ;)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 04 Feb 2006, 14:33

I must admit that I have never seen a sign warning about falling bears.. :-D

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 05 Feb 2006, 00:42

Corribus wrote:I must admit that I have never seen a sign warning about falling bears.. :-D
On the same trip, I came across a sign for a Penguin Crossing. (I also got to pet a Tasmanian Devil.) :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Feb 2006, 00:49

charleswatkins wrote: On the same trip, I came across a sign for a Penguin Crossing. (I also got to pet a Tasmanian Devil.) :devil:
Does he whirl like a tornado that sounds like several motors whirring in unison and devours everything, animate or inanimate? And gets tricked by a grey rabbit?

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 05 Feb 2006, 20:05

The Tasmanian devil looks something like a small dog with industrial strength choppers. They can bite through chicken bones like matchsticks. However, after they have eaten, they become quite docile and that is when I got to pet one. Incidentally, a great many of the Devils have recently died out.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Return to “Campfire”