Bizarre News

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 25 Jan 2006, 16:42

Another interesting headline:
Bush renames 'spying'
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 16:54

Vlad976 wrote:Another interesting headline:
Bush renames 'spying'
Kinda reminds me of a certain secret police who's name kept changing under each new lider.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 17:09

ThunderTitan wrote: Kinda reminds me of a certain secret police who's name kept changing under each new lider.
Sir,I have no idea what youre talking about B-)

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 26 Jan 2006, 07:31

Perhaps I can shed some light on the goofy headlines. Most people know that the headlines are not written by the writers of the stories that run below them. What you may not know is that the headlines often have to be changed to make everything else fit on the page, and this usually takes place in the dead of night, after most of the staff is gone. So the junior editor who has to stay up to handle situations like this has an opportunity to have a little fun.

Point is: these aren't unintentional. Just someone having a little fun. I know, I used to be that guy.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Jan 2006, 09:06

But some of them can happen by excident.

Has someone heard about that tornado that started in the middle of some junior football game in japan,and vanished some 30 seconds later?I have a clip of it,but I dont know when that happened.It just shows that the nature has a sense of humor as well.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jan 2006, 09:40

charleswatkins wrote: Point is: these aren't unintentional. Just someone having a little fun. I know, I used to be that guy.

So it is a conspiracy at work!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 26 Jan 2006, 11:55

ThunderTitan wrote:You should see some of the news papers were i'm from. I swear, those people never learned proper grammar.
That's my pet peeve - bad grammar. Ugh. And the frequency with which it happens at my school...AGH!!! Aren't teachers supposed to pass some sort of tests or requirements or something??? I used to use the margins of my global notebook to copy down the teacher's grammar errors...it wasn't the "proletariat", it was the "proletartiariat" or something like that.

@ Charles Watkins - *tsk tsk* I wouldn't have expected that. Are any of those headlines yours? ;)

OH! Remembered some good stories I heard on the radio a few months ago...

In Florida, this old guy was driving down the road. He hit a pedestrian, who crashed onto the hood of the car, and the pedestrian's leg was ripped off. The old guy kept driving and didn't stop until the worker at a toll booth wouldn't let him go because of the body on his hood. The old man was stopped and the police came, but he didn't get in any trouble because he said he had no idea where the body came from, he thought it had fallen out of the sky onto his car. People like that should not be allowed to drive.

And another...
A woman (in Delaware maybe?) hung herself outside her house, in a tree. However, it was something like 3 or 4 days before anyone realized, because it was right around Halloween and people just thought it was a really good decoration.
I heard this on the radio, the show host then said that for this reason Halloween was the worst time of the year to hang yourself, and second to that is Cinco de Mayo because everyone will think you're a pinata :devil:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 28 Jan 2006, 17:17

Article du jour:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060124/od ... 0124124401

French murder was from a different era

BREST, France (AFP) - French police who spent two years trying to identify a woman who was murdered by a blow to the head were relieved to discover the reason their efforts were failing: the woman died half a millennium ago.

The skeleton of a woman in her 30s was found during an exceptionally low tide in December 2003 near the seaside Brittany town of Plouezoc'h. A long gash in the skull convinced investigators she was killed with a hatchet or other sharp implement.

Police ploughed through missing persons' files to no avail. A theory that the woman was the wife of a Normandy doctor who disappeared with his family in a famous 1999 case was dismissed after DNA tests.

Eventually radiocarbon dating established that the death had occurred between 1401 and 1453.

"We are satisfied because at least we know the date now. We reckon it was pirates," said Francois Gerthosser of the Plourin-les-Morlaix police on Tuesday.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 28 Jan 2006, 19:14

Oh, that's great Corribus. Oops, a bit late on the uptake they are, eh?

Hmm, no more good stories I've heard lately...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Jan 2006, 19:15

So,does that mean that the murderer is still free? :devil:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Jan 2006, 21:40

Naah, he's probably rotting in some remote place.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Feb 2006, 16:57

What an idiot:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/01 ... index.html

Museum visitor trips, breaks Chinese vases

CAMBRIDGE, England (AP) -- A museum visitor shattered three Qing dynasty Chinese vases when he tripped on his shoelace, stumbled down a stairway and brought the vases crashing to the floor, officials said Monday.

The three vases, dating from the late 17th or early 18th century, had been donated to The Fitzwilliam Museum in the university city of Cambridge in 1948, and were among its best-known artifacts. They had been sitting proudly on the window sill beside the staircase for 40 years.

"It was a most unfortunate and regrettable accident, but we are glad that the visitor involved was able to leave the museum unharmed," said Duncan Robinson, the Fitzwilliam's director.

The museum declined to identify the man who had tripped on a loose shoelace Wednesday.

Asked about the porcelain vases, Margaret Greeves, the museum's assistant director, said: "They are in very, very small pieces, but we are determined to put them back together."

The museum declined to say what the vases were worth.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Feb 2006, 18:22

Corribus wrote:"It was a most unfortunate and regrettable accident, but we are glad that the visitor involved was able to leave the museum unharmed," said Duncan Robinson, the Fitzwilliam's director.
Read:We wish that he dies in the most horrid pain,revives then dies again!

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Feb 2006, 19:35

Sounds to me like an accident waiting to happen.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Feb 2006, 20:13

Anger Grows Over Muhammed Cartoon

Muslim extremists are now threatening Denmark, France and Norway after newspapers in said countries made public some caricatures depicting the prophet Muhammed.

Man, am I getting tired of these extremists' constantly bidding for attention...! They're constantly in the press' limelight, and if they're not, they blow something (somebody) up somewhere so they'll have to be...

Christ! (so to speak...) :wall:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Feb 2006, 20:20

I don't really understand how it's OK to behead innocent civilians on international television (no fuss there), but this is somehow an outrage.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Feb 2006, 20:39

Like I said; some people will exploit any occasion to climb up for attention.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 02 Feb 2006, 21:17

about the extremists: Yeah, that is crazy that they're so upset about this. Seems they do just want attention, good Lord, are we not paying enough attention to the hostages they've taken and the innocents they've blown up? Wow...

About the museum incident: That poor fellow, he must be living a nightmare. You've got it DL, about the museum peoples' feelings...I'd want to die if I were that guy.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Feb 2006, 21:41

Mutare Drake wrote:About the museum incident: That poor fellow, he must be living a nightmare. You've got it DL, about the museum peoples' feelings...I'd want to die if I were that guy.
Yeah but what about the poor guys who have to put the vases back together again!

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 02 Feb 2006, 22:24

Yeah, you're right...maybe he ought to be doing the gluing! Sure hope those guys get overtime...sheesh...

Return to “Campfire”