Bizarre News

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Oct 2006, 17:48

US bans Vegemite

THE United States has slapped a ban on Vegemite, outraging Australian expatriates there.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads and cereals.

Expatriates say that enforcement of the ban has been stepped up recently and is ruining lifelong traditions of having Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Former Geelong man Daniel Fogarty, who now lives in Calgary, Canada, said he was stunned when searched while crossing the US border recently.

"The border guard asked us if we were carrying any Vegemite," Mr Fogarty said.

"I was flabbergasted." Paul Watkins, who owns a store called About Australia in San Antonio, Texas, said he had been forced to stop importing Vegemite six months ago.

"We have completely stopped bringing it in," he said.

"(US authorities) have made a stance and there is nothing that can be done about it."
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 22 Oct 2006, 18:38

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads and cereals.

Expatriates say that enforcement of the ban has been stepped up recently and is ruining lifelong traditions of having Vegemite on toast for breakfast.
I guess putting Vegemite on toast != adding folate to bread.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Oct 2006, 23:54

The land of the trully free :rolleyes:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Oct 2006, 00:11

what a joke!! ....
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Oct 2006, 00:55

stefan.urlus wrote:what a joke!! ....

As if life is anything but...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Oct 2006, 01:21

of course it is .... but banning Vegemite??!!!!

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Oct 2006, 01:00

Inmate won't use 'get out of jail free' card
A 59-year-old German man who has spent the last 34 years in jail has turned down offers to be let out, an official says.

"He rejected an offer to leave in 1992," Thomas Melzer, a spokesman for the Brandenburg state justice ministry, told Bild newspaper.

"We can't do anything if someone sentenced to life in prison doesn't want to leave."

The man, identified only as Gerold H, was convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment in 1972 when the area was part of communist East Germany.

German prisoners have no obligation to agree to leave jail before their sentences have been completed.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Oct 2006, 05:41

Isnt it funny how there are people that are better of in jail then outside?Many years ago I read about a guy that went to rob a store as soon as he was released just so he would be put back.I mean,honestly,many jails are real palaces for some people.Not here though :devious:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Oct 2006, 05:49

I mean, you wouldn't really want to be in one, but the jails here would be pretty damn good compared to some places, which I think is a disgrace!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Oct 2006, 06:02

I would gladly live in a london prison.You get free food,free bed and TV.Plus,you can also get marital visits.What more do you need?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Oct 2006, 07:04

same kinda thing here .... but still prefer my non-jail life, oh and they get paid to be in prison here too, not much, but that really gives me the irrates!!!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Oct 2006, 07:21

So not only do you get free accommodation but you get money as well? :|

What bewilders me most is that these people did something against the law and most deserve to suffer,yet they get payed and they get a chance for normal life when they get out,but people that spend years in hospitals only loose their money and they have to strugle to get their lives back on track when they get out.So you cripple someone and you get free food,free bed and pay,while the one you crippled gets to pay for his medical treatment :disagree:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Oct 2006, 07:54

and that is exactly why it is so god damn disgraceful!!!

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 25 Oct 2006, 08:00

When I was young I used to pass by a prison on my way to school...at night sometimes it looked like all it needed was the fence down and a vacancy sign to be a 5 star hotel. Tennis court, swimming pool, ect. I was told that they not only got paid a salary, but got to go to colledge (on the internet) funded by the tax payers. Also they complained (according to a source I trust) that all they had to eat was steak for dinner. They got 3 huge meals a day. This was a maximum security prison also. Now there is one more little disturbing thing...

The highschool I went to was less then a football fields length from the prison..oh but they were not satisfied with that. The moved the Highschool right accross the road from the prison, moved the elementary there too, and moved the middle school to where the highschool was. Absolute brilliance.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 Oct 2006, 08:08

and the prison had better facilities, better food .... it's a joke really isn't?

i hate civil libitarians

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 25 Oct 2006, 08:12

Yes but believe me the fact that they put children with reach of 'the worst' offenders just boggled my mind more then the ammenities. We even could not go to school in april of 1985 because there was a riot in progress that took weeks to unravel...true rocket scientist we had that decided to put kids within walking distance..eh?
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 25 Oct 2006, 09:12

There needs to be a balance with regard to prison "perks".

I think education for inmates (at least the ones comming out at some point) is a good thing - hopefully they can use it to make an honest living after they are released.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Oct 2006, 10:19

But it doesnt work like that.Those that are interested in education are mostly some mid to high level drug lords and arms merchants,so when they get out they use the knowledge they gained to further expand their bussines.The low thugs simply dont want to learn(or are forced not to by others),so when they get out they continue like before.The only reasonable way of fixing this is by making their programs planned acording to their crimes.Oh,and rapists and murderers should get absolutelly no rights.They should be treated like the scum they are.Theaves,hackers,etc are the ones that can be reeducated and they are the only ones that deserve a chance and some rights.

Lady Farquad
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Lady Farquad » 25 Oct 2006, 15:37

About the original note, I guess that after 30+ years in prison it could be difficult to imagine your life outside, just as it's difficult for us free people to imagine a life of imprisonment. Even more if that german jail is like those luxury places you described.

@stefan.urlus, what's a libitarian? Looked for the word but couldn't find it
Morior, ergo sum

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 25 Oct 2006, 17:02

Lady Farquad wrote:@stefan.urlus, what's a libitarian? Looked for the word but couldn't find it
The word should have been libertarian

Return to “Campfire”