Bizarre News

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Nov 2007, 19:09

Good, the testing faze is over... now we must find some hot shop owners.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 16 Nov 2007, 02:28

:)
I want to be a woman for a day: Banderas

Hollywood heart-throb Antonio Banderas would like to be a woman, for a day anyway, to better understand the "fairer" sex.

At a press conference in the Bulgarian capital Sofia, where he and Morgan Freeman are shooting heist movie The Code, the Spaniard suggested he might swap places with his director.

"I would like to be a woman, just to give it a try and maybe understand them a little bit better," he said, when asked who else he would like to be for a day.

"But I don't know which one. May be Mimi, just to understand what she is going through," he joked, referring to The Code director Mimi Leder.

Freeman was less adventurous.

"Nobody," he replied in answer to the same question.

"I have my own problems."

In The Code, Banderas and Freeman play thieves who join forces to steal two priceless Faberge eggs from a Russian collector. In the process they have to deal with the Russian mob and US police.

The production, costing around $US20 million ($22.5 million), is expected in theatres next year.

It is one of the biggest films to be shot at Bulgaria's renowned Boyana Film Studios, which have been taken over by US company Nu Image, a co-producer on The Code.

The company aims to boost film production in Bulgaria by attracting directors and producers with significant savings, as well as highly skilled staff and good shooting locations.

The studio - where films The Black Dahlia and The Contract were partly shot - hopes to raise the number of projects to 17 in 2008 from nine this year.

"We expect to have many, many other actors and big films here," Nu Image producer Les Weldon said.

Meanwhile, Banderas has praised the Boyana staff.

"We are working with a group of professionals that are throwing their heart into this movie," he said.

He added that the hard work would "pay off in the future."
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Nov 2007, 12:04

I'm sure there are drugs that can simulate hysteria in men if he really wants to know how it is to be female... :devil:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 16 Nov 2007, 12:24

Aren't you a mean one :D
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Nov 2007, 16:27

Don't get me started on men...

Of course aussies are the main enemy right now:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22738300-2,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22761386-2,00.html
Santa Claus banned from Ho Ho Ho

SANTAS working in shopping centres across Australia have been banned from bellowing "ho ho ho" because it might frighten children.

Recruitment firm Westaff, which supplies hundreds of Santas around the country, yesterday confirmed the edict.

Westaff national operations manager Glen Jansz said the company's Santas had been urged to tone down their use of the "ho, ho, ho" phrase.

"The reason behind that is we find that in some cases the little kids can get a little bit scared of the deep 'ho, ho, hos' and we ask them to be mindful of keeping their voices to a lower level," he said.

"And kids are probably more inclined to understand 'ha, ha, ha', than 'ho, ho, ho'."

Santa Claus outraged by 'ho ho ho' ban

HE is an unlikely revolutionary but this Christmas, Santa is a rebel with a claus.

He is having the last laugh on political correctness - and it's a great big fat belly laugh.

Santas across Sydney are rebelling against attempts to ban their traditional greeting of "ho, ho, ho" in favour of "ha, ha, ha".

Recruitment firm Westaff - which supplies hundreds of Santas across the country - has told its trainees that the "ho ho ho" phrase could frighten children and could even be derogatory to women.

Two Santa hopefuls reportedly quit the course because of the hullabaloo of the ho, ho, ho.

One would-be Santa has told The Daily Telegraph he was taught not to use "ho, ho, ho" because it was too close to the American slang for prostitute. He also quit.

"Gimme a break," Julie Gale, who runs the campaign against sexualising children called Kids Free 2B Kids, said.

"We are talking about little kids who do not understand that "ho, ho, ho" has any other connotation and nor should they.

"Leave Santa alone."

Australian Childhood Foundation chief executive officer Dr Joe Tucci said it was the latest example of political correctness gone mad.

"There is no stronger tradition for children than Santa's ho, ho, ho," Dr Tucci said.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 16 Nov 2007, 19:00

Santas bellowing ho ho ho are terrifying daddy, take them away! :scared:
- Metathron

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 16 Nov 2007, 20:23

I can already see the headlines:
"Won't be Christmas this year, becaus Santas are revolting."
This is absurd, totally nonesense. What could "ho-ho-ho" possibly mean? Horrifing Howl of Hogs?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 16 Nov 2007, 21:34

Maybe a savage warcry :D That's why it's scary.
- Metathron

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 Nov 2007, 21:50

Aaaah, now I get it: someone's been watching too much Die Hard.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Nov 2007, 21:51

The "offensive to women" part is about how 'hoe is short for whore in american slang.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Nov 2007, 03:08

Saudi court ups punishment for gang-rape victim

(CNN) -- A court in Saudi Arabia increased the punishment for a gang-rape victim after her lawyer won an appeal of the sentence for the rapists, the lawyer told CNN.

The 19-year-old victim was sentenced last year to 90 lashes for meeting with an unrelated male, a former friend from whom she was retrieving photographs. The seven rapists, who abducted the pair and raped both, received sentences ranging from 10 months to five years in prison.

The victim's attorney, Abdulrahman al-Lahim, contested the rapists' sentence, contending there is a fatwa, or edict under Islamic law, that considers such crimes Hiraba (sinful violent crime) and the punishment should be death.

"After a year, the preliminary court changed the punishment and made it two to nine years for the defendants," al-Lahim said of the new decision handed down Wednesday. "However, we were shocked that they also changed the victim's sentence to be six months in prison and 200 lashes."

The judges more than doubled the punishment for the victim because of "her attempt to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media," according to a source quoted by Arab News, an English-language Middle Eastern daily newspaper.

Judge Saad al-Muhanna from the Qatif General Court also barred al-Lahim from defending his client and revoked his law license, al-Lahim said. The attorney has been ordered to attend a disciplinary hearing at the Ministry of Justice next month.

Al-Lahim said he is appealing the decision to bar him from representing the victim and has a meeting with Justice Minister Abdullah bin Muhammad bin Ibrahim Al Al-Sheikh on Monday.

"Currently she doesn't have a lawyer, and I feel they're doing this to isolate her and deprive her from her basic rights," al-Lahim said. "We will not accept this judgment and I'll do my best to continue representing her because justice needs to take place."

Al-Lahim said he wanted the Justice Ministry to take "a very clear standing" on the case, saying the decision is "judicial mutiny against reform that King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz started and against Saudi women who are being victimized because of such decisions."

Women are subject to numerous restrictions in Saudi Arabia, including a strict dress code, a prohibition against driving and the need for a man's permission to travel or have surgery. Women are also not allowed to testify in court unless it is about a private matter that was not observed by a man, and they are not allowed to vote.

The Saudi government recently has taken some steps toward bettering the situation of women in the kingdom, including the establishment earlier this year of special courts to handle domestic abuse cases, adoption of a new labor law that addresses working women's rights, and creation of a human rights commission.

CNN was unable to reach government officials for comment.
Justice isn't just blind there; it's non-existent.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 18 Nov 2007, 03:15

Omega_Destroyer wrote: Justice isn't just blind there; it's non-existent.
Well, that's a news. Justice is in the people, if they are not sense it - it's dead.
However if you know the woodoo and have the necessary parts, you may intend some 'divine punishment' for judge. :devious:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 18 Nov 2007, 10:57

That's got nothing to do with justice.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 18 Nov 2007, 11:09

So sad..
Thieving monkeys 'out of control' in northeast India

Troupes of monkeys are out of control in India's northeast, stealing mobile phones and breaking into homes to steal soft drinks from refrigerators, lawmakers in the region have complained.

"Monkeys are wreaking havoc in my constituency by taking away mobile phones, toothpastes, sipping coke after opening the refrigerators," Hiren Das told Assam state's assembly.

He said the primates were "even slapping women who try to chase them".

"It is a cause of serious concern in my area, with more than 1,000 such simians turning aggressive by the day," fumed Goneswar Das, another legislator representing Raha in eastern Assam.

Assam's wildlife minister, Rockybul Hussain, said the state government has formed a panel to study the problem.

Because of shrinking forest cover, monkeys have increasingly moved into cities elsewhere in India as well.

Last week, around two dozen people were hurt after monkeys rampaged through a New Delhi neighbourhood.

Last month, the deputy mayor of Delhi died when he fell from his balcony after being attacked by monkeys.

Efforts to drive out the animals is complicated by the fact that devout Hindus view them as an incarnation of Hanuman, the monkey god who symbolises strength.
Lol that's some funny situation :-D
- Metathron

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Nov 2007, 23:09

take away their habitat, they move into yours

so sad is true for the rape victim :disagree:
Chestnut from Anne Frank tree on eBay

An Amsterdam resident has put up for sale on the internet a chestnut that he says came from the tree that Anne Frank gazed upon while hiding from the Nazis.

"I had this idea for a few years, then I saw that the tree was in the news and I decided to put the chestnut up for auction," said 34-year-old Charles Kuijpers, who lives next door to the garden where the tree stands.

City officials recently decided the 27-tonne tree was so diseased the risk the trunk could break was too great and said it would be removed on Wednesday (local time).

Activists are fighting to save the diseased tree from being felled.

Bids for the chestnut on eBay have reached $US700 in the auction, which is titled "Grow your own Anne Frank tree with a chestnut".

The Jewish teenager described gazing longingly at the tree in the diary she kept during her two years in hiding from the Nazis during World War II.

Anne and her family hid until they were betrayed and arrested in August 1944.

Seven months after her arrest, Anne died of typhus in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp within days of her sister, Margot.

Her father, Otto, the only survivor of the group, returned to Amsterdam after the war ended, to find that her diary had been saved, and published it in 1947.

Chai26
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Chai26 » 20 Nov 2007, 11:49

bizarre indeed, perhaps this is the world we all live in.
Voodoo Child
Some say, he/she sucks the moisture out of ducks.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 20 Nov 2007, 17:32

Omega_Destroyer wrote:
Saudi court ups punishment for gang-rape victim
Yeah, the Islam rulez!!!
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 20 Nov 2007, 22:51

Drug hitmen snatch buddy's body from morgue

Twenty heavily-armed drug hitmen snatched the body of a fellow trafficker from a morgue in northern Mexico after he died in a dramatic helicopter crash, police say.

The gunmen killed two policemen as they took the corpse from the morgue in the town of Ensenada, about 110 kilometres south of the US border near San Diego in California.

"This is unprecedented ... and shows us how far these [drug] organisations can go," a police spokesman in the border city of Tijuana said.

The dead man was thought by police to be a member of the Arellano Felix drug cartel. His fellow traffickers were believed to have wanted his body to take it away for burial without having to identify themselves when claiming the corpse.

He died earlier this week in a helicopter crash along with another suspected trafficker, but the gunmen failed to get the second man's body from the morgue.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 21 Nov 2007, 17:38

Scientists find fossil of enormous bug

This was a bug you couldn't swat and definitely couldn't step on. British scientists have stumbled across a fossilized claw, part of an ancient sea scorpion, that is of such large proportion it would make the entire creature the biggest bug ever.

How big? Bigger than you, and at 8 feet long as big as some Smart cars.

The discovery in 390-million-year-old rocks suggests that spiders, insects, crabs and similar creatures were far larger in the past than previously thought, said Simon Braddy, a University of Bristol paleontologist and one of the study's three authors.

"This is an amazing discovery," he said Tuesday.

"We have known for some time that the fossil record yields monster millipedes, super-sized scorpions, colossal cockroaches, and jumbo dragonflies. But we never realized until now just how big some of these ancient creepy-crawlies were," he said.

The research found a type of sea scorpion that was almost half a yard longer than previous estimates and the largest one ever to have evolved.

The study, published online Tuesday in the Royal Society's journal Biology Letters, means that before this sea scorpion became extinct it was much longer than today's average man is tall.

Prof. Jeorg W. Schneider, a paleontologist at Freiberg Mining Academy in southeastern Germany, said the study provides valuable new information about "the last of the giant scorpions."

Schneider, who was not involved in the study, said these scorpions "were dominant for millions of years because they didn't have natural enemies. Eventually they were wiped out by large fish with jaws and teeth."

Braddy's partner paleontologist Markus Poschmann found the claw fossil several years ago in a quarry near Prum, Germany, that probably had once been an ancient estuary or swamp.

"I was loosening pieces of rock with a hammer and chisel when I suddenly realized there was a dark patch of organic matter on a freshly removed slab. After some cleaning I could identify this as a small part of a large claw," said Poschmann, another author of the study.

"Although I did not know if it was more complete or not, I decided to try and get it out. The pieces had to be cleaned separately, dried, and then glued back together. It was then put into a white plaster jacket to stabilize it," he said.

Eurypterids, or ancient sea scorpions, are believed to be the extinct aquatic ancestors of today's scorpions and possibly all arachnids, a class of joint-legged, invertebrate animals, including spiders, scorpions, mites and ticks.

Braddy said the fossil was from a Jaekelopterus Rhenaniae, a kind of scorpion that lived only in Germany for about 10 million years, about 400 million years ago.

He said some geologists believe that gigantic sea scorpions evolved due to higher levels of oxygen in the atmosphere in the past. Others suspect they evolved in an "arms race" alongside their likely prey, fish that had armor on their outer bodies.

Braddy said the sea scorpions also were cannibals that fought and ate one other, so it helped to be as big as they could be.

"The competition between this scorpion and its prey was probably like a nuclear standoff, an effort to have the biggest weapon," he said. "Hundreds of millions of years ago, these sea scorpions had the upper hand over vertebrates — backboned animals like ourselves."

That competition ended long ago.

But the next time you swat a fly, or squish a spider at home, Braddy said, try to "think about the insects that lived long ago. You wouldn't want to swat one of those."
- Metathron

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Nov 2007, 21:56

be very scared
Stowaway piglet survives toilet roll ordeal

A piglet nicknamed Andrex is recovering after being found in the back of a truck full of toilet paper at a supermarket in England.

The animal, thought to be two or three weeks old, was discovered in a delivery at a Tesco store in Ilkeston, Derbyshire.

Staff wrapped the piglet in a duvet and called the RSPCA, a Tesco spokesman says.

He was taken to an animal shelter in Radcliffe-on-Trent outside Nottingham suffering from cuts and bruises to his snout.

"We will now care for him until he is fit enough to be found a permanent home," shelter deputy manager Ella Herring said.

Return to “Campfire”