Alcohol Infused Goodness

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Alcohol Infused Goodness

Unread postby asandir » 02 Apr 2007, 08:19

Seeing as the Love thread got a little derailed with the love of alcohol, thought I'd start a thread about the yumminess of booze

what's your favourite?
are you a spirits person?
happen to like that pig swill otherwise known as wine?
or are you a Beer connoiseur? (or ale for Corribus)

personally, Wild Turkey Honey Licquer is one of my favourites for a spirit, and I do enjoy a good beer, a stella, or a heiny .... not a fan of ale, blegh or wine if you hadn't noticed
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Apr 2007, 14:25

Mostly a beer fan as you know. When I do the hard stuff I prefer bourbon, straight up or in a manhattan. I've also been fond of some tequila anejo, but it's hard to get good ones here in the states without paying an arm and a leg for them. I always pick a bottle up when I go to Mexico though.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Apr 2007, 14:47

I like wine. Good wine. There's nothing like a deep red next to a juicy piece of beef. :yummy:

Lately I've taken to whisky as well. Scotch. Good ones. I like that tingling feeling running down the back of my neck about half an hour after the first drink and twenty seconds before the third.

I don't like getting very drunk, so I hardly ever do.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 02 Apr 2007, 15:00

I prefer beer the best. I prefer IPAs, but I'm not really that picky so long as it isn't "lite" beer. Oh, and I tried smoked beer the other night. Unless you like smoked things, I wouldn't bother.

I used to drink a lot of gin, notably Bombay Sapphire, until I developed a taste aversion to it during an interesting evening.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 02 Apr 2007, 15:12

On a hot summer day I like a really cold Desperado (beer).
Otherwise I prefer wine (which include a chill rosé in summer).
For the harder stuff I like two things mainly: Scottish Malt Whisky, for example a Glenfarclas or Macallan.
The second thing is Vodka, and there surprisingly different tasting brands. I prefer the Scandinavian and Polish brands here (and make no mistake: good Vodka is rather expensive, too).

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Apr 2007, 15:29

IPAs are great. Flying Fish makes one called Hopfish IPA which I've been drinking a lot recently and which is slightly hoppy but nice and crisp.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 02 Apr 2007, 15:41

I think I've had the Hopfish before. As to my favorite IPA, Mad Hatter gets the nod. Bell's make a really good Double IPA if you can find it. Very smooth with a refreshing, hoppy taste.

EDN
Scout
Scout

Unread postby EDN » 02 Apr 2007, 16:09

I prefer vodka... cognac, cider, beer, some vines are also good :-D

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 02 Apr 2007, 16:10

You peeps seem to know quite alot about differents brands of booze :p
Up here it's homebrewn that's the order of the day :-D

But myself I can't drink spiritus since I developed an aversion for it at new years eve 2005 by too much vodka.
And I also gotted a slight aversion for all kinds of alchol. I taste the alchool even in cider now....

I prefer beer and cider. Tuborg Guld is the best so far :) In cider it must be atleast 4.6% but 7% is great as you don't have to drink that much.

The worst of all though is that my government considers its people as children which can't decide for themselves about how much they want to drink so they've made it illegal to sell alcohol above 3.5% in stores. Only a special drinkingstore called systembolaget owned by the government is allowed to sell stronger alcohol and they do so at 90% tax!!!
They use this lame argument "healt of the people" when they defend our absurd restrictions in EU courts and they even asked for a prolonging of the restriction on importing alcohol to Sweden!

Luckily, that was denied but it's still on a lousy 10L strongbooze, 110L beer, 90L wine and something else.
Now I have to go to Germany and bring in large supplies of the good stuff so people can what they need.

I wonder how long it will take to get rid of this stupid restriction....

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Apr 2007, 17:08

3.5%? Even bad beer has more alcohol per volume than that. About all you can find here with alcohol less than 3.5% is some nasty cordials.

And I just love the whole philosophy of banning alcoholic beverages over a certain proof. Way to give people an extra reason to distill their own stuff, and then go blind or die from methanol poisoning.

But I should say that, as far as hard spirits go, I am also quite fond of the plum liquor that is made in the area of the former yugoslavia. I have no idea how it is spelled but I can say it. Anyway, one of my good friends here is from Serbia and he often acquires bottles of it from back home (shipped in sprite bottles, no less). That stuff is wicked and will knock your socks off - like grappa but with a nice fruity flavor.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 02 Apr 2007, 17:22

Norway is actually the land with the highest p.p. consumation of sugar - and you don't have much guesses why.
The plum spirit is called Slibowitz if I'm not mistaken, and some prefer it warm.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 02 Apr 2007, 17:25

Whiskey...
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 02 Apr 2007, 17:27

Shljivovica, to be precise.

Now try pronouncing that! ;)
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Apr 2007, 17:36

Shljivovica, shljivovica, shljivovica... nope, no problem pronouncing that... ;)

I've got this completely fantastic Margaux standing in storage in my father's house... Bought it on our first France trip back in 1992, and it's ready to drink between 2005 and 2025. It's called "Prieure Lichine", and we've opened a few bottles of it on occasion. It's simply amazing. I'm saving mine until a special occasion, like maybe the finishing of my thesis in 2008.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 02 Apr 2007, 17:54

I think that the French (red) wines are generally overrated or - to be more precise - overpriced. They have developed a tendency to have too much oak from the barrel, at least my wife and me are agreeing on that. We've developed a taste for South American wines.
I don't know whether this is available where you live, but a great and affordable vinery is Montes from Chile.
Try a Montes Alpha, preferably the Cabernet Sauvignon. This will cost about 13 or 14 Euros per bottle in Germany and is rather good.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 02 Apr 2007, 18:05

are you a spirits person?
I am absolutely not. And this concludes my contribution to this thread. :)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Oakwarrior
Biclops
Biclops

Unread postby Oakwarrior » 02 Apr 2007, 18:23

Does expired prune juice count? B-)

Actually I don't drink alcohol at all, and I don't plan on doing so for quite a while :proud:
ImageImage

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 03 Apr 2007, 03:33

Nothing like a perfectly poured beer.

Cin cin!

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 03 Apr 2007, 03:53

well, a great licquer will beat it IMO

OD reminds me of my own horrible gin experience .... year 12 (was 17 I think) had an after-ball party at a mates house, was drinking that fairy piss Southern Comfort and was highly smashed, when I grabbed what appeared to be an innocuous glass of water .... was damn thirsty so started sucking that down, about 3/4 of the way thru the glass (was maybe 300ml or so) I suddenly realised I was drinking gin .... straight, needless to say I sprayed some, and ended the night passed out in the garden .... never have drunk gin again, and have an unreasonable distaste of vodka as well
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Apr 2007, 13:57

My worst drunk experience:

College party, valentines day, hopped up on red wine and strawberry jello shooters (yech..). Fast forward several hours, party is over, I'm in bed, nearly unconscious. I know I'm going to go into reverse plumbing mode, but I'm still too out of my gourd to know well enough to get to the bathroom. So instead of making my way to the toilet, I grab the trashcan next to the bed and let her rip. Unfortunately, it wasn't a trash can that I grabbed but my bedside vornado fan. Which was on. So... you can imagine the mess. Seeing as there was red vomit all over me, my bed and the wall, it sort of looked like someone had offed me with a shotgun.

True story.

Return to “Campfire”