So, how' the new server so far?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

So, how' the new server so far?

Excellent, faster than before
30%
Good, about the same as before
65%
Acceptable, but a little slower
3%
Bad, things take much longer to load
3%

Total votes: 40

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Apr 2007, 07:30

is CH hosting that ftp site? cause I think he's still downloading and chewing all our bandwidth
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 29 Apr 2007, 16:02

Angelspit wrote:God was too busy downloading pirated movies.
Probably watching them... as with Her :p all pervading powers downloads take place instantly.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Apr 2007, 03:27

well if they download instantly that still doesn't explain the slow down :)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 05 May 2007, 21:48

I must admit to feeling a bit guilty for complaining about what is essentially a free service for us, but I must admit that the RT is getting to the point where it's almost unusable for me. Recently I've had to click on a link, then go away and do something, and then come back a little later to see if the page has loaded yet. It takes so long per load that I barely read a fraction of the new posts anymore. Is this a server thing?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 06 May 2007, 18:28

I've had some pages take 5 seconds or so to load, but nothing worse.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 May 2007, 05:34

well I've had upto 30 seconds and occasional timeouts, that's about as bad as it gets, annoying, but still working which is nice

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 07 May 2007, 13:27

I've tried to time it. Just transitioning to a new page seems to take anywhere from 10-15 seconds, and actually fully loading it can take anywhere from 20-40 seconds. If there are pictures on the page, it's even worse. Occasionally I get a Time Out error. I access the site from several different places, so it's not my connection or my computer. I can do some actual statistics if anyone is really interested. Seems a bit faster today, but nowhere near as fast as before and not fast enough that I'd want to spend seven hours trying to read all the new threads.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 May 2007, 14:17

I'll close this thread as the current results of the poll (mostly positive) do not reflect the current situation obviously.

I'm working on an explanation about the state of web hosting in general, and I'll let you use this thread to complain whenever things slow down to a crawl. :D Just give me a couple of minutes.

Return to “Campfire”