Christmas depression

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Christmas depression

Unread postby Elvin » 25 Dec 2006, 22:28

I have noticed quite a few people becoming sad around the Christmas period.They don't feel cheerful,more like the opposite and I know them not to have any particular problems in their lives.
A friend of mine even expressed that he disliked seeing happy faces in the streets because he feels they are just as neutral or miserable as the rest and are just pretending so as to fool others.
Another told me that he was sad because he'd like to spend the Christmas with a girl since he was free for some time :) But they are not the only ones and I can't help but wonder why.Is it the fact that we don't feel as merry as we'd like,that we envy others,or even both?
Personally I feel better in this period,the only exception being when my friends go away or have to be with their relatives so I end up kinda lonely.Still it is a warm celebration,one I look forward to and not just because I will have more free time.It's the whole spirit,be it an illusion or not.
What are your insights on this?Have you experienced something like that or know people that feel this way?
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 25 Dec 2006, 22:40

Some people might feel like that because they've got no one to be with during the holidays, no family, no close friends... I think they need someone to share the Christmas spirit with, someone to be happy with; the joy and happiness one expects from the Christmas spirit is rather hard to maintain on one's own.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 25 Dec 2006, 23:56

Christmas is a time where you tend to remember the year's events. Perhaps, some people get depressed because of something bad that happened. People that have lost loved ones tend to take it hard too.

That's why we need to spread the Christmas cheer and get these people out of depression! ;)

Merry Christmas to all! :hug: Hugs as well :) .
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 26 Dec 2006, 20:34

I dunno, I was kind of out of cheer on Christmas precisely because I had to spend it with relatives. There's only so much I can take of yakking, squawking aunts and uncles asking me about the college life they didn't care enough about to e-mail me during the semester. >_<

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 26 Dec 2006, 20:54

I was spared this terrible fate :D Just my parents and sister! I kinda dislike such situations too-I always found them boring but was unable to be absent as a kid ;) And of course the relatives MUST show some interest since they came all this way,prolonging our suffering!
Ok it's not that bad but I'd still rather hang out with friends.It's better if you get to chose some people to come over instead of the whole kin.The less the merrier :)
- Metathron

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 26 Dec 2006, 22:36

well... think about it... if somebody is alone... christmas is the best period of the year to remind him about it
The rest of the year when we all go to our job and do our stuff, you tend to think less about this sort of things, but on christmas eve you have all the time to think about it... and that's why that guy couldn't stand seing happy people on the street... because he was unhappy

Why do you think christmas is the time of the year with the most suicides?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Dec 2006, 00:05

it does bring it home to some people who are alone .... but for me it is a time to rejoice in my family and friends
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 27 Dec 2006, 00:25

Part of the explanation is the short days. People need sunlight to make them happy.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Dec 2006, 00:27

we have nothing but sunlight here Caradoc .... 15 hours a day or so .... 8|

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 27 Dec 2006, 00:53

Of course,it should be quite warm there too :) Since I was little I remember the cliche of santa water-skiing in Australia :D
- Metathron

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Dec 2006, 00:55

be interesting in his full get-up! :D

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 27 Dec 2006, 02:29

Lonliness, poverty, stress, short daylight hours … and because the corporate world tries to sell us "cheer" all neatly packaged, for a price. But that doesn't cut it; and many people don't realize that some of the depression is caused by the phony expectations thurst upon us at this time of year by greedy corporations.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 27 Dec 2006, 03:16

That's a good point, HodgePodge (never really thought of that myself) :) .
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 27 Dec 2006, 05:06

Hodgepodge's post is one reason I try not to buy gifts. I prefer personal (sometimes selfmade) items that let people know a few things. 1) you actually put some thought into the gift. 2)You know a bit about their likes and dislikes. and 3) you just didn't get them something so you could check their name off of some list.

I suffer from Chronic depression all year round, but christmas does get me down. One way to get out of the holiday blues is to start doing for others (especially those less fortunate). Nothing beats the holiday blues like childrens laughter, or somebody else smiling, or well you get the idea. So if the holidays get you down, brighten somebody elses day. You would be suprised at the results.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Dec 2006, 06:06

Nothing beats the holiday blues like childrens laughter
or any blues for that matter, it's such a pure sound

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 27 Dec 2006, 15:58

stefan.urlus wrote:we have nothing but sunlight here Caradoc .... 15 hours a day or so .... 8|
So is there holiday depression as well?

When I had regular office workdays, it was so depressing to go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I felt like a cave rat.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 27 Dec 2006, 16:36

Hehe :) If nothing else a routine(even more in your occasion) can cause depression.I'll try to make a more cheerful thread next time,I was just wondering what people's experience was on the matter.
- Metathron

urbanmonk
Scout
Scout

Unread postby urbanmonk » 27 Dec 2006, 19:05

Sometimes it can be a bad experience as someone said. Got kicked out of my moms house with my sister over the holidays (over 20 yrs ago), so the holidays bugged me for awhile. That changed when we had kids, holidays more fun due to my son and my nephew (kind of get caught up in their excitement).
Also people are nice to you that normally are not. I have long hair, and in my youth used to wear rather obnoxious concert t-shirts. So most of the year people give you the "look" like you were going to rape and pillage them. Yet the holidays they would be nice to you (and you could tell it was fake). If you are going to be nice to people you don't know, you mightas well do it all year in my opinion.
Families tend to live so far apart these days, or more so than in the past, so imagine that could be part of people getting blue over the holidays too.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Dec 2006, 00:16

not here Caradoc :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Jan 2007, 00:40

Christmas still didnt come here(blame the usage of the julian calendars for this).

I personally like christmas,because the suicide rate goes up :devil:

Return to “Campfire”