Fantasy style

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

Read the post!

Fairy Tales
No votes
Myth and Legends alike
25%
Adventure
13%
Modern
No votes
Realistic
25%
dark/apocaliptic
38%

Total votes: 8

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Dec 2006, 06:31

Mytical wrote:(A gnome creating a mechanical dragon would not be fantasy at least not in my book, but golems are within the fantasy realm).
What if it was a dragon golem? :devious:

As for shannara,thats not even half of the series.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Dec 2006, 06:59

it is actually pretty close to half, 17 or so out now, I have read 7 .... not bad
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 12 Dec 2006, 07:08

stefan.urlus wrote:wow, i like all of them too, and they are an eclectic group .... the one about Chronos was a challenge to read though! For Love of Evil was my favourite, you should read that DL, it's all about you and your beginnings
I didn't like the Chronos and Fate ones much, but I absolutely LOVE Fr Love of Evil. The first hundred pages or so left me somewhat cold (it seemed to follow pretty much the same formula as the older books, which I had read years before For Love of Evil), but as soon as Parry became Satan, it turned just awesome! I didn't like some of the explanations which weren't quite consistent with Satan's behavior of the older books, but overall, For Love of Evil is easily one of my favorite fantasy books.
stefan.urlus wrote:as for fairy tales, anyone read Fairy Tale?
I tried four times already and never managed to get past page 40, it is just too borin for me.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Dec 2006, 07:15

I read it a long time ago, but remember it as quite enjoyable if different to his normal fare ....

as for Incarnations, For Love of Evil was my favourite, really liked Death and War, Fate was good and Nature was interesting, Time was good but very confusing in parts :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Dec 2006, 16:57

Mytical wrote:(A gnome creating a mechanical dragon would not be fantasy at least not in my book, but golems are within the fantasy realm).
What next... no ballistas or trebuchets?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 12 Dec 2006, 19:07

stefan.urlus wrote:
Caradoc wrote:A few not mentioned: Alice in Wonderland, Thomas Covenant, Thieves World, Harry Turtledove's Videssos saga. I guess I'm all over the place. I don't care for Harry Potter, Forgotten Realms, or the Feist Riftworld books -- they seem trite to me. It's not so much the genre as the quality of the writing and the depth of characterization.
That's new :) .... I haven't heard the word "trite" used to descibe Feist's writing before .... but I guess there are as many tastes as there are people and that isn't a cannabalistic comment
Martin Longbow the Ranger. Macros the Black. Jimmie the Hand. Give me a break. All the characters seem like they came out of someone's D&D campaign ... because they did! Every one of them is a walking stereotype. And things get worse on the other side of the Rift.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Dec 2006, 22:51

Caradoc wrote:
stefan.urlus wrote:
Caradoc wrote:A few not mentioned: Alice in Wonderland, Thomas Covenant, Thieves World, Harry Turtledove's Videssos saga. I guess I'm all over the place. I don't care for Harry Potter, Forgotten Realms, or the Feist Riftworld books -- they seem trite to me. It's not so much the genre as the quality of the writing and the depth of characterization.
That's new :) .... I haven't heard the word "trite" used to descibe Feist's writing before .... but I guess there are as many tastes as there are people and that isn't a cannabalistic comment
Martin Longbow the Ranger. Macros the Black. Jimmie the Hand. Give me a break. All the characters seem like they came out of someone's D&D campaign ... because they did! Every one of them is a walking stereotype. And things get worse on the other side of the Rift.
I didn't realise that names required originality .... it's the characterisation that makes it work .... what about Pug .... Tomas? and i never heard Martin Longbow the Ranger used as a title for him .... but as I said, each to his own

Return to “Campfire”