Virus at the Gates!

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Virus at the Gates!

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 03 Dec 2006, 01:25

This happen to me few days ago. I just had a broadband modem installed in the PC. (Yay! :hoo: ), but the problems begins to arise. As soon as I logged in, several virus started to pop-up. I had them deleted, but they just keep coming. I had my anti-virus pregram to scan through the entire system several times, but no detection was found, I thought it was safe.

But when I logged in again, they appear again. Funny the it was the same virus over and over... One of those is the Trojan Horse (TR/Proxy... or TR/Agent..) It got really annoying. Do you think the virus is still in me system, or it's waiting outside the gate, coming in as soon as I open the door. Can anyone be at any help over here?

Another thing is I got a message that will shut down my computer in 30 seconds. I've heard of this 'virus' thingie, and I got a heart attack. But after that, nothing happen. I've start the computer again, and it didn't occur. That was a bad April Fool's Joke, even if it's 5 months early. But can anyone show me the link to a certain program that 'decode' this thingie? I heard it's downloadable, but don't know where..
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 03 Dec 2006, 01:47

We should have the death penalty for those who create or intentionally distribute viruses. :flame: A slooooow and extremely painful method of capital punishment should be chosen.

If your antivirus program is up to date and not detecting and eliminating the threat you may want to do a free online scan from one or both of these.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 03 Dec 2006, 08:36

Uu, Panda good, nice Panda, never-had-any-kind-of-virus Panda! :D
(now where's that smiley Tar's been using...)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 03 Dec 2006, 09:32

You have to have a firewall if you want to connect to the internet

Preferably a good software one (e.g. Jetico FW, Sunbelt Kerio FW etc.), but judging from your question, you don't really know anything about firewalls so it would be quite difficult for you to set up one correctly. Zone Alarm is easy to set up, so you might try that.

Even easier, if you connect your broadband modem to a network interface, would be to buy a simple router and place it between your PC and your modem - almost all routers act as firewalls too, and the setup is extremely easy (for basic set up, disconnect the network cable from your PC and plug it into WAN port of your router, then connect any LAN port of your router with the newtork adapter of your PC).

And go read the ShieldsUp section of grc.com, they'll give you a lot of information you need to have.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 03 Dec 2006, 09:35

And after you do all this, you should boot into a clean system and remove all viruses you will have accumulated by then. By clean system, I mean preferably a system repair CD such as one that can be created with BartPE (search Google); removing the viruses directly from Windows will not work reliably and neither will doing it from Safe Mode. It might in fact be easier for you to simply delete the Windows and reinstall them completely.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Dec 2006, 13:54

One: Se this thread.

Two: The penalty for those distributing virae should be a ban from all computers for life.

Three: What I would do in this case, is to try and find the name of the program running. Then google it. There are lots of smart people out there offering concrete solutions.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 03 Dec 2006, 14:43

For punishment, I suggest 1000 papercuts, followed by some liquid being poured on them.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 03 Dec 2006, 15:27

Could a computer behind a router not use a firewall at all? I don't plan to try it anytime soon, but I sometimes wonder how much protection a router provides.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 03 Dec 2006, 15:33

You can use a firewall behind a router. I use a router(and I hate it because it seems to cut my net speed since my net connection is supposed to be 100 megs and I don't get that speed).

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 03 Dec 2006, 15:34

Angelspit wrote:Could a computer behind a router not use a firewall at all? I don't plan to try it anytime soon, but I sometimes wonder how much protection a router provides.
Almost all routers provide, in their default settings, about the same protection from internet-originated attacks as a correctly set up firewall. So in this sense you don't need a separate firewall if you are hidden behid a router.

On the other hand, they don't provide any protection to any attacks that originate in your computer (such as you visiting a malformed webpage which exploits some bug in your browser to make it execute some arbitrary code, or a trojan horse installed on your computer contacting its creator). And they don't provide any protection from attacks that originate on your LAN, so if you can't be sure ALL computers in your local network are clean, you should still use a firewall to protect yourself.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 03 Dec 2006, 15:36

The Mad Dragon wrote:You can use a firewall behind a router. I use a router(and I hate it because it seems to cut my net speed since my net connection is supposed to be 100 megs and I don't get that speed).
I would be very much surprised if your connection was to be 100 Mbps. It seems more likely it's the speed of the interface (100 Mbps is a theoretical throughput of a FastEthernet) and your actual connection speed is much lower.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 03 Dec 2006, 16:56

So why doesn't my connection show what the actual speed is, rather than what ti's supposed to be?

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 03 Dec 2006, 17:40

The Mad Dragon wrote:So why doesn't my connection show what the actual speed is, rather than what ti's supposed to be?
Because it is far easier to show what speed your cable supports than the actual speed.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 03 Dec 2006, 18:28

Sigh...The same thing happened to me yesterday.Even worse it opened some msn contacts and I'm afraid it sent viruses in the process.And of course when I opened it again to warn my friends it would get stuck and send access scan messages every few secs among others...
Now I'm using Ad-Aware SE and Spybot-Search and Destroy to get rid of them,hopefully I won't have to see them again :mad:
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Dec 2006, 18:41

As long as it does damage only to the software youre ok.If the need is dire,you can always reinstal evrything.I still am baffled about HD of mine being fried(physically)by viruses a few years back.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 03 Dec 2006, 19:02

DaemianLucifer wrote:As long as it does damage only to the software youre ok.If the need is dire,you can always reinstal evrything.I still am baffled about HD of mine being fried(physically)by viruses a few years back.
That's nonsense. The fried disk might have coincided with your computer getting infected, but that doesn't mean there is a cause-and-effect relation between the two. Nowadays it is nearly impossible to use software to do a permanent damage to hardware, unless the hardware is poorly set up and going to die on its own (such as a poorly cooled CPU might theoretically get fried by running a CPU-intensive task on it).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Dec 2006, 21:18

Nope,it did go bust because of the viruses.None of the wires and transistors were melted or anything,and the magnetic cilinders were untouched(well before I broke it open,that is),the coolling worked fine(I used it long after that with no problem),but it simply couldnt be used anymore,and the guys that I gave it to tried everything,save for dismantling it.But like I said,it was a few years back,maybe three,maybe four.I dont know if it can be done now.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 03 Dec 2006, 21:22

No, it can't and couldn't then, either. Last time something like that was possible was in mid-1980s.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Dec 2006, 21:28

If it happened to you,youd know it can.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 04 Dec 2006, 01:42

For punishment, I suggest 1000 papercuts, followed by some liquid being poured on them.
peroxide and vinegar!
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Return to “Campfire”