English

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 19 Jan 2006, 05:53

You just have to remember that we've been over where we basically have no one else trying to tell us what to do (Mexico keeps jumping over the border - and 95% of Canada lives within 10 miles of the USA).

We are used to just doing it our way. I mean... New Yorkers tell Texans that they're speaking incorrectly and vica versa.

But it's not like we've got Brits hanging around three blocks away saying - it's a lift not an elevator you bloody yankee b4st4rd!

So in the whole flattening of the world, I think we'll just end up with a strong "International version" of the language.

In the UK, what do you call the "Escape" key? Esquire?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 20 Jan 2006, 21:12

gravyluvr wrote:So in the whole flattening of the world, I think we'll just end up with a strong "International version" of the language.
Except that a lot of people are now predicting Chinese to be the next language to know. Think about it, if China calls in all the money the US owes it, we're doomed and China owns us.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Jan 2006, 22:06

Mutare Drake wrote:
gravyluvr wrote:So in the whole flattening of the world, I think we'll just end up with a strong "International version" of the language.
Except that a lot of people are now predicting Chinese to be the next language to know. Think about it, if China calls in all the money the US owes it, we're doomed and China owns us.
It would be a doom for them as well.China relies on exporting their excess of population.Sure,it is strong compared to each country individually,but it cannot tale on the whole world.

Friend_of_Gunnar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Friend_of_Gunnar » 21 Jan 2006, 05:52

Mutare Drake wrote: Think about it, if China calls in all the money the US owes it, we're doomed and China owns us.
Actually it's worse. We are doomed just if they stop loaning money to us every day.

For you non-americans I will explain the situation. We have the two parties in America, the Democrats and the Republicans. The Republicans invented a trick where they borrow 8| huge 8| amounts of money from Japan and China. Then they can spend money easily and also lower taxes. Everybody is happy, (until the U.S. economy is destroyed by borrowing, like Argentina...)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Jan 2006, 07:01

Friend_of_Gunnar wrote:
Mutare Drake wrote: Think about it, if China calls in all the money the US owes it, we're doomed and China owns us.
Actually it's worse. We are doomed just if they stop loaning money to us every day.

For you non-americans I will explain the situation. We have the two parties in America, the Democrats and the Republicans. The Republicans invented a trick where they borrow 8| huge 8| amounts of money from Japan and China. Then they can spend money easily and also lower taxes. Everybody is happy, (until the U.S. economy is destroyed by borrowing, like Argentina...)

Dude, that's so untrue. It wasn't the Republicans that invented that one. The Communists were first. And don't worry, they'll just start exporting everything so they can pay the national debt. And then seeing cheese on TV will be an event worthy of writing a song about.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Friend_of_Gunnar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Friend_of_Gunnar » 21 Jan 2006, 15:06

ThunderTitan wrote: And then seeing cheese on TV will be an event worthy of writing a song about.
It always comes back to cheese with you, doesn't it?

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 22 Jan 2006, 03:40

If it looks like we are going bankrupt, we can always sell off some of our smaller states. I bet the Japanese would pay a good price for Hawaii.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 22 Jan 2006, 04:18

10. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call 'French fries' are not real chips. Fries aren't even French, they are Belgian though 97.85% of you (including the guy who discovered fries while in Europe) are not aware of a country called Belgium.
Bloody fool. Frenching is what you DO to the potato, not where it’s from! :disagree:

Friend_of_Gunnar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Friend_of_Gunnar » 22 Jan 2006, 04:46

charleswatkins wrote:If it looks like we are going bankrupt, we can always sell off some of our smaller states. I bet the Japanese would pay a good price for Hawaii.
What do you mean 'would'? Didn't we already sell it to them?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 21:05

"If when you turn your computer off its called a 'shut down', shouldn't turning it on be called a 'shut up'?"

Dont you just love the english language? :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 21:09

The pissed off/on one was better.

BTW, the song about cheese actualy exists. Ahh.. fun times.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 21:14

Reposted:If being angry is called pissed off,shouldnt cooling down be pissed on? :devil:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Feb 2006, 20:52

My English is not good at all. I try writing as close as I can to any understandable shape. As being a Brazilian, we must hurry up to learn that language, since it's a must-have when we're looking for a job in a tourist city as this one I live.

Besides, the way I've learned, from CCLS, is closest to regular USAian English, although I've learned, dunno why, to pronounce like British people.

My teachers were fond of me due that. :proud:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 24 Feb 2006, 20:59

I wonder how does English sound with a Brazilian Portuguese accent? :|
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2006, 21:05

Apparently it sounds British... See above
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 24 Feb 2006, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Feb 2006, 21:06

Brazilians are not affected by any of these accent matters. We learn to speak other languages suffering no "regional damage". Maybe you'll see some of us saying "computer" as "computterr". We can't add accents of our Portuguese, since we have 18 kinds of vowel pronounciation. It would mess up with our lives. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 24 Feb 2006, 21:11

How exactly is "computterr" supposed to be pronounced, in contrast to "computer"?

But how about consonants? Doesn't Portugese have a different R than in English, for example?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2006, 21:16

theLuckyDragon wrote: But how about consonants? Doesn't Portugese have a different R than in English, for example?
Nu-mi zii ca nu ai vazut telenovelele alea in portugheza care le tot dadeau la TV!?
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 24 Feb 2006, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Feb 2006, 21:18

TT as saying Tense. RR as saying House.

Consonants...hum, the R is not pronounced like in English. English people pronouce that oddly. There's nothing like that in Portuguese, just like the TH sound.

Here, if you know a Latin language, R is pronounced like French or Italian.

There's something with NH and LH too. They are pronounced something similar to NEE and LEE. C is not like Ç, which is like SS when you write ÇA, CE, CI, ÇO, and ÇU. But you must write CA, QUE, QUI, CO, and CU for K sound. X can also be like SS, as like SC or CX. X can be SH or KS.

Portuguese is not very easy, though.
ThunderTitan wrote:
theLuckyDragon wrote: But how about consonants? Doesn't Portugese have a different R than in English, for example?
Nu-mi zii ca nu ai vazut telenovelele alea in portugheza care le tot dadeau la TV!?
I hope any real good soap opera has appeared there, you know. There are lotsa of garbage being on the TV these days. :(

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 24 Feb 2006, 21:22

@TT
Read my profile! (Şi erau pe Acasă :) )

@Tar
I know Romanian. And as TT can find out from my profile, I'm interested in foreign languages, so I'm familiar with that NH and LH. NH is like French GN or Spanish N~ (imagine that tilde on top of the letter :) ), right?

Return to “Campfire”