English

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 25 Feb 2006, 11:49

charleswatkins wrote:What they did not realize was that in Frankish (the language of the Franks, for whom France takes its name), the word for 'free' is 'franc'. Therefore, french fries were already freedom fries.
And still having nothing to do directly with the French, who are just trying to take advantage of this lucky conincidence. :)

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 25 Feb 2006, 13:42

charleswatkins wrote:A while back when our leaders got peeved with France for not joining in the festivities in Iraq, they decided to rename french fries to 'freedom fries'.

What they did not realize was that in Frankish (the language of the Franks, for whom France takes its name), the word for 'free' is 'franc'. Therefore, french fries were already freedom fries.
And you couldn't imagine how proud we were when it's been recognized that freedom and french were synonymous :D
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Feb 2006, 14:02

Bloody fool. Frenching is what you DO to the potato, not where it’s from!
A while back when our leaders got peeved with France for not joining in the festivities in Iraq, they decided to rename french fries to 'freedom fries'.
So am I to understand that now Americans Free the Fries instead of Frenching them!?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 25 Feb 2006, 14:56

That's it, they send GIs on potatoes :rofl:
Image Spiritu Insanum

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 01 Mar 2006, 14:36

theLuckyDragon wrote:No, not just about the R. The whole "sound" of the language reminded me of Russian. I don't know Russian, but I know it's "sound", if you know what I mean.
A'ha, the R, R, R, thing, like an eager to go to the bathroom. (ok, this one is about how we speak when we're eagering going to a bathroom - nothing related to Russian itself :rolleyes:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Mar 2006, 14:38

So you only sound Russian when ur in the little boys room. 8|
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 01 Mar 2006, 14:42

Well, not really. We sound in a hurry when speaking like that. If we're not, we sound less like a Russian. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 23 Mar 2006, 19:58

Some of you might already know this:

Dearest Creature in Creation

You can skip some parts, but be sure to read the ending! :)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Return to “Campfire”