English

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2006, 21:28

Panda Tar wrote: I hope any real good soap opera has appeared there, you know. There are lotsa of garbage being on the TV these days. :(
Soap operas are those USA shows that we're made to promote soap. Telenovelas will do fine. And as I recall the Brazilian ones we're better then the rest, not that that's saying much.
Şi erau pe Acasă.
Nici nu exista Acasa cand au aparut primele pe TVR. Tinerii de ziua de azi. :disagree:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 24 Feb 2006, 21:29

Im good in english (thanks to gaming, some english on school and movies =) but my advanced english grammar isnt that good, complicated sentences arent that easy to write ;|

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Feb 2006, 21:30

theLuckyDragon wrote:@TT
Read my profile! (Şi erau pe Acasă :) )

@Tar
I know Romanian. And as TT can find out from my profile, I'm interested in foreign languages, so I'm familiar with that NH and LH. NH is like French GN or Spanish N~ (imagine that tilde on top of the letter :) ), right?
Like this, eh? Ñ
I understand Spanish pretty well, but can't write or read properly. I'm also a fan of languages. Right know, I'm at war against Japanese. :D Can't say much things yet. Just Ohayoo here, and there, or baka... :devil:
ThunderTitan wrote: Soap operas are those USA shows that we're made to promote soap. Telenovelas will do fine. And as I recall the Brazilian ones we're better then the rest, not that that's saying much.
Nowadays, they're making supernatural scenes all the time. It's becoming comic beyond the drama.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 24 Feb 2006, 21:34

ThunderTitan wrote:
Şi erau pe Acasă.
Nici nu exista Acasa cand au aparut primele pe TVR. Tinerii de ziua de azi. :disagree:
Sclava Isaura era în portugheză? :| Might be...

@Tar
Hey, be careful with that baka thing. :devious:
The first time I saw written Spanish I thought "No way, this can't be the wonderful fluent language I've heard". I think it looks so strange, in comparison to the way it sounds.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Feb 2006, 21:40

theLuckyDragon wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:
Şi erau pe Acasă.
Sclava Isaura era în portugheză? :| Might be...

@Tar
Hey, be careful with that baka thing. :devious:
The first time I saw written Spanish I thought "No way, this can't be the wonderful fluent language I've heard". I think it looks so strange, in comparison to the way it sounds.
Escrava Isaura was a mini-series, if I'm not mistaken. I don't enjoy hearing Spanish. It sounds annoying to me. Portuguese, Brazilian one, not Portugal's, sounds lighter and more polite.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2006, 21:41

theLuckyDragon wrote: Sclava Isaura era în portugheză? :| Might be...
Parca Perla Neagra era. Cine mai tine minte. Oricum TVR a dat multe telenovele la vremea lui, mult inainte ca sa se bage si PRO TV-ul si restul statiilor. Parca Antena 1 a fost a doua care a bagat telenovele.

I know a guy that has studied Japonese for over 6 years, and even he can't speak it very well. Damn weird language.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Feb 2006, 21:45

I thought it easier than I thought. Of course, there are just few words which come from other languages. I'm proud :proud: of having one in Portuguese. That's the word for "bread", which is "pão". They say "pan", which is similar to our pronounciation.

Funny is something like "self-service", which becomes: sefuru seebisu. :hoo:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 24 Feb 2006, 21:47

I think that all Romance languages sound nice. The first time I heard Portuguese (it was Brazilian) I thought it sounded like a combination of Russian and Spanish :| Just like Romanian is a combination of Latin, Dacian and Russian (well, old Slavonic actually). In fact, if I remember my history correctly, all Romance languages have the same 'formula': Latin + Old-Population-That-Was-Already-There + Migratory-Population.

@TT
Oh, that! I remember! I watched it with my mother. But wasn't it doubled in Italian?

@Tar again
That's because their syllables are consonant+vowel. It's funny, I know.

G'night for now, all. :tired:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Feb 2006, 21:52

theLuckyDragon wrote:I think that all Romance languages sound nice. The first time I heard Portuguese (it was Brazilian) I thought it sounded like a combination of Russian and Spanish
Russian...? Oh, dear, that's just about the R stuff, isn't it? For me, there's just few things that I think weirder than Russian. :D

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Feb 2006, 21:55

ThunderTitan wrote: Parca Perla Neagra era. Cine mai tine minte. Oricum TVR a dat multe telenovele la vremea lui, mult inainte ca sa se bage si PRO TV-ul si restul statiilor. Parca Antena 1 a fost a doua care a bagat telenovele.
While it's nice that you know some other language than English to communicate in, remember that everyone is meant to be able to read the things on here. If you wih to talk in private, use the PM functions, and not some odd language. Since this thread is sort of a language thread, I don't think there's any particular wrong with other languages having been used, but it should not spread. Other mods might disagree with my thoughts on this though, so until some more official word is given, please use English.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 24 Feb 2006, 21:56

No, not just about the R. The whole "sound" of the language reminded me of Russian. I don't know Russian, but I know it's "sound", if you know what I mean.

@Gaidal
Agree. I only use short messages in Romanian from time to time. Will you ever forgive me? :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2006, 22:18

Gaidal Cain wrote: While it's nice that you know some other language than English to communicate in, remember that everyone is meant to be able to read the things on here. If you wih to talk in private, use the PM functions, and not some odd language. Since this thread is sort of a language thread, I don't think there's any particular wrong with other languages having been used, but it should not spread. Other mods might disagree with my thoughts on this though, so until some more official word is given, please use English.
Trust me, no one else wanted to hear what was said. Unless they find the history of romanian television interesting. It did have to do with the Portuguese though.

Oh, that! I remember! I watched it with my mother. But wasn't it doubled in Italian?
I have no ideea. I might have been.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Feb 2006, 22:55

ThunderTitan wrote: Trust me, no one else wanted to hear what was said. Unless they find the history of romanian television interesting. It did have to do with the Portuguese though.
As I said, that's what PMs are for...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2006, 23:01

Yeah, but it wouldn't be worth it then. And it did have to de with the topic being discused at that moment.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Feb 2006, 23:06

If it was on topic, English would have been just fine. Point is that we have to be rather strict about it since we can't be expected to moderate is there are 20 languages used here and we only know half of them.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2006, 23:11

Romanian worked better! And it wouldn't have worked in PM's because it had to run paralel to the rest of the discusion. It would have worked in English, but then you'd know what we talked about. :devious:

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 25 Feb 2006, 01:56

Kareeah Indaga wrote:
10. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call 'French fries' are not real chips. Fries aren't even French, they are Belgian though 97.85% of you (including the guy who discovered fries while in Europe) are not aware of a country called Belgium.
Bloody fool. Frenching is what you DO to the potato, not where it’s from! :disagree:
I'm glad there's somebody in this world, that knows where the name French Fries comes from. ;)

But don't worry Kareeah. I bet at least 97.85% ;) of the Ameriance link French Fries with France. :p

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 25 Feb 2006, 02:35

Mensonges, balivernes et billevesées ! La frite est française et non belge, inventée à Paris aux abords du Pont-neuf durant la Révolution ! Ce ne sont pas des wallons à la langue empruntée et à l’accent ridicule qui pourraient inventer quoi que ce soit. D’ailleurs il n’y a que les belges que ne sont pas d’accord, preuve que c’est vrai. :tonguehands:
Image Spiritu Insanum

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 25 Feb 2006, 03:07

Well, I suppose that's America's thank you gift for Lady Liberty to the French. They gave that name to those fries, and now 97.85% :) of French think it comes from them. :tongue: :)

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 25 Feb 2006, 06:44

Zamolxis wrote:Well, I suppose that's America's thank you gift for Lady Liberty to the French. They gave that name to those fries, and now 97.85% :) of French think it comes from them. :tongue: :)
A while back when our leaders got peeved with France for not joining in the festivities in Iraq, they decided to rename french fries to 'freedom fries'.

What they did not realize was that in Frankish (the language of the Franks, for whom France takes its name), the word for 'free' is 'franc'. Therefore, french fries were already freedom fries.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Return to “Campfire”