Seen any good movies lately?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Mar 2007, 22:35

Edward Norton is one of the best actors in my book ever since I saw his transformations in Primal Fear.
that's so very true!!! he does a great job everytime IMO

as for 300, I think that if you're looking for a great storyline or oscar-winning acting, then you probably should be watching something else .... it's all about enjoying the moment people
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 11 Mar 2007, 23:17

Veldrynus wrote:Oh, right! I forgot. A "bozgor" like me has no right to criticize the glorious country of Romania.

Well, I'll do it anyways.
Don't think everybody is like you. I have never used the quoted word in my life. What you said back there was not "criticizing" (that would have been ok). But even if it would have been, I think everybody should criticize his own and just respect the others as they are. What you said was quite untrue and insulting, so I felt that needed a reply.

Whether you've got the message or not, I suggest we close this off-topic discussion.
Last edited by Zamolxis on 11 Mar 2007, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 11 Mar 2007, 23:21

Zamolxis wrote:I think everybody should criticize his own and just respect the others as they are.
Since I was born and live here in Romania, I have the right to criticize it.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Mar 2007, 23:24

I think anyone can criticise anything .... it's easy to do, constructive criticism however at least offers something

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 11 Mar 2007, 23:25

Veldrynus wrote:
Zamolxis wrote:I think everybody should criticize his own and just respect the others as they are.
Oh come on people... cut the useless fighting and let's go back to being friends again.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 11 Mar 2007, 23:30

Veldrynus wrote:
Zamolxis wrote:What you said back there was not "criticizing" (that would have been ok). But even if it would have been, I think everybody should criticize his own and just respect the others as they are.
Read my full text again. I think you can't make the difference between criticizing sth and just spraying sh*t all over it.
stefan.urlus wrote:...constructive criticism however at least offers something
QFE. So if you want to criticize Vel, do it constructively.

Shake hands now? :)
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 11 Mar 2007, 23:45

You were not objective in your interpretation of my message. It contained a negative comment on Romania (and not some other random country), and that fact pissed you off, so that you started a personal attack.

If I really want to spray sh*t over things, I do it otherwise.
BTW, there is nothing less constructive, than saying everything is OK, when the reality looks different.

Ok, let's shake hands.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 11 Mar 2007, 23:48

BTW, there is nothing less constructive, than saying everything is OK, when the reality looks different.
I disagree. See foreign language thread for details...

Beelzebubba
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Beelzebubba » 12 Mar 2007, 21:04

Watched Touching the Void this weekend. I love survival stories. Incredible stuff.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 12 Mar 2007, 21:13

What's it about?
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 12 Mar 2007, 23:34

I just saw 300 and I really liked it. It's not that I'm greek(actually the history part got a little blurry! :)) but I liked the overall style and feeling. It wasn't the gruesome fight scenes, nor the nifty effects. It was a raw yet humane story in a surreal setting where the ending was predetermined yet it still feels compelling.
True the scenario is weak and you can guess what will transpire but it still felt good. The bad part is that some scenes incorporated in the movie just feel out of place but maybe I just liked the graphic novel.
A word of warning: Do NOT expect a masterpiece or you may be disappointed.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Mar 2007, 23:58

well i never expect much when I see a movie .... less disappointment that way

Beelzebubba
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Beelzebubba » 13 Mar 2007, 04:21

Omega_Destroyer wrote:What's it about?
This sums it up.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 13 Mar 2007, 12:29

I'm a little slow on getting this for you - but I had to ask for a link as this banner is no longer being used.

The discussion, earlier, was on what people THINK of Romania as opposed to the reality. Well, let's face it. Steriotypes are normally built on truth, but focus on the bad elements while ignoring the good side.

The photo used in the banner below was taken INSIDE the City Limits of Chattanooga. (oh boy!) It's your classic run down hill billy shack. Yes sir. Those still exist. There are poor people EVERYWHERE - they just get different lables.

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 13 Mar 2007, 23:57

charming .... but oh so true

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 14 Mar 2007, 06:02

Just so you know Iranians are now protesting 300.

Ok we know movies people are watching. What movies would you fear burning (because it would pollute the air too much), buring (don't want to pollute the ground that much either) or shooting into space because if some alien civilazation seen it they would come erradicate the human race? (Ie what is some of your worst movies of all time?).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 14 Mar 2007, 11:20

Hubby just got a copy of the worst movie of all time. I saw it 30+ years ago on the old network Saturday or Sunday afternoon matinee. (Only those of us over 40 in the USA will understand how DREADFUL those movies were. They were 'time fillers' for the days there was no sports shows.)

I had seen it and rememebered only that it was a HORRID movie. My husband had only heard of it, seen clips of it, and just had to know how bad it really was. As we watched it, he said "Even Ed Wood would have been asshamed of this mess." The movie?

The Creeping Terror!

EEEK! Run in terror! The hideous space monster looks like a walking throw rug with two people bent over, shuffling along underneight.... then a huge 'phalic' on the front covered with radiator hoses with eyes on the end. It can only shuffle along, but manages to catch and eat people who are so stunned by fear that the can't move... and then feel strangly compelled to climb into the monster through a hole in the lower front... but it must be difficult to manuver under there with all those other people because they do it so slowly. On top of the STUPID monster, bad acting, clips that get used over and over - most of the film is 'narrated' right over the scenes where you can SEE the actors talking. The Narration tells you what the people said during their conversations. WTF?

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 14 Mar 2007, 11:22

Just so you know Iranians are now protesting 300.
Why? Are they angry because the Persians are shown to be a bunch of perverted misfits or because they are shown to be girly men who can't fight?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 14 Mar 2007, 13:17

Well, some see it as a way for America to attack Irak indirectly. It's not as if the scenario was created recently...
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 14 Mar 2007, 14:43

Creeping Terror is not the worst movie of all time. The 13th Child is followed closely by anything Jean-Claude van Damme has done.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Return to “Campfire”