Seen any good movies lately?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jun 2007, 13:51

Somewhere in Time, the most depressing movie EVER.

I first saw it because of PvP, and now Kurtz did another strip referring it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 15 Jun 2007, 23:25

well don't go see it again then :)

Sahara was good the second time round as well
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jun 2007, 00:12

Once was enough to depress me every time i think of it. damn penny.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 16 Jun 2007, 02:44

Saw Fantastic Four 2 and really enjoyed it. Galactus is a bit of a let down, but the rest of the movie is very entertaining. It's a lot better than the first.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 16 Jun 2007, 19:40

ive heard a lot about "soylent green", thats an old scifi movie. has anyone seen it, and is it good? i want to know if its worth the download.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jun 2007, 19:57

Someone watch Somewhere in Time already... i need more depressed ppl so i don't feel lonely.

And Soylent Green is ..people..! :devious:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 17 Jun 2007, 23:52

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Saw Fantastic Four 2 and really enjoyed it. Galactus is a bit of a let down, but the rest of the movie is very entertaining. It's a lot better than the first.
cool, so norrin wasn't totally depressing?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Jun 2007, 00:01

ThunderTitan wrote:Someone watch Somewhere in Time already... i need more depressed ppl so i don't feel lonely.

And Soylent Green is ..people..! :devious:
You need happy people to save you from that depressed feeling. That's way much better! :tongue: And now that you have said that movie is so goddamn nice, fewer people will bother watching. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 18 Jun 2007, 00:19

vhilhu wrote:ive heard a lot about "soylent green", thats an old scifi movie. has anyone seen it, and is it good? i want to know if its worth the download.
It is not a bad movie at all, notable in that it was the last movie Edward G. Robinson appeared in.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 Jun 2007, 08:37

Whoa, Blockbuster decides to support Blu-ray (on Digg).

"VP Matthew Smith revealed to the AP that the decision to go with Blu-ray -- which will reportedly be announced tomorrow -- stemmed from an overwhelming customer preference for those titles in the test markets, accounting for over 70% of all HD discs rented. Interestingly enough, it seems that content -- and not price -- was the deciding factor for consumers..."

I've been pessimistic about HD DVD's chances from the start, but this doesn't look good at all.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Jun 2007, 11:34

Sorry, but I'm in a lack of understanding. Does that mean that there'll be chances of Blockbuster decreasing their business around DVDs to support technologies related to direct connection to transfer a temporally file or a movie when renting movies? :|

Btw, went watching Shrek 3. That part when Shrek is dreading being a father, wakes up only to find Donkey and Puss with baby faces and then the Donkey one says: PAPAI! (father). That was worth of my day. :lol:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 18 Jun 2007, 13:07

Angelspit wrote:Whoa, Blockbuster decides to support Blu-ray (on Digg).

I've been pessimistic about HD DVD's chances from the start, but this doesn't look good at all.
Since there is a third format which may be on sale by the end of next year, and it dwarfs both of these formats as far as storage capacity. Effectively making both formats obsolete before either is a winner.
Developed by InPhase Technologies and Hitachi this technology, dubbed "Tapestry holographic memory technology" uses laser light interference to store 300GB on a single disc. http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news. ... view.phtml
I backed the right horse in the VHS/Betamax wars, but I am going to sit this one out for a long time.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 Jun 2007, 13:07

Panda Tar wrote:Sorry, but I'm in a lack of understanding.
Two groups are in a battle to establish a standard in the high-definition disc format (similar to the VHS-Beta war of the 80s). On one side we have Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, Microsoft, RCA, Kenwood, and Intel with their HD DVD, on the other there is Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Panasonic and Sony with Blu-ray.
Last edited by Angelspit on 18 Jun 2007, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Jun 2007, 13:15

Hum, I'm a bit naive about that kind of subject, but I'd like to know. What that would mean for us, costumers? :|

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 Jun 2007, 13:28

That's pretty much a nail in the coffin for HD-DVD. Blockbuster's decision to back Blu-Ray would certainly make me think twice about buy HD-DVD player. Exactly why I've been telling everyone to wait and see before buying one fo the new formats. I pity everyone who spent hundreds of dollars on HD-DVD players.

(Although, given the companies invested in HD-DVD, I'm a little surprised that it didn't pull out the victory.)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 18 Jun 2007, 13:31

Panda Tar wrote:Hum, I'm a bit naive about that kind of subject, but I'd like to know. What that would mean for us, costumers? :|
Cnet strongly recommends that everyone sit on the sidelines for awhile until things become clear. If you buy the wrong player you'll have wasted your money, remember DIVX (not the video compression program, the Circuit City backed player), most don't. As I mentioned above there is a possibility both will be replaced in a couple of years. If you must there are a few players soon to hit the market that will play both formats.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Jun 2007, 13:50

It'll be a really long time before I bother getting either one. I'm content with my dvd player and am not in any rush to start rebuilding my collection for more definition/content.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Jun 2007, 15:42

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 Jun 2007, 16:04

I don't know... maybe I'm just becoming an old fogey but high density DVD format just isn't that appealing to me. I already have an enormous DVD library, and 95% of them already look fantastic on my TV. Most of the movies I have probably were never shot on cameras that can be converted to HD anyway, so I just don't see the point. Maybe in the future, after more and more newer movies appear in the HD format... but only if new players will still play regular DVD discs.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Jun 2007, 03:03

I'm definately sitting this one out, but secretly I'm shooting for Blu-ray, being a playstation fan-boy

Return to “Campfire”