The American Football Thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 06 Nov 2006, 20:17

gravyluvr wrote:That may be the first time both teams have attempted a game winning kick on the final play of the game!

I don't care how... We beat the Cowboys!
I agree. Hopefully the return of Springs and Rogers will continue to solidify the up-until-now woeful pass defense a little bit. They were improved against the Cowpies than in previous weeks, but they still need to play better 3rd down defense to beat the Pigeons - er, Eagles - next week, though.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 06 Nov 2006, 21:43

Both teams were horrible. The Cowboys haven't committed that many penalties since 1970, and add to that the dropped receptions, the dropped interceptions, and the dunderhead coaching -- I don't think they played that bad when they were going 1-15. Bleah.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 06 Nov 2006, 21:46

Caradoc wrote:Both teams were horrible. The Cowboys haven't committed that many penalties since 1970, and add to that the dropped receptions, the dropped interceptions, and the dunderhead coaching -- I don't think they played that bad when they were going 1-15. Bleah.
I won't mention who they beat in that 1-15 season. :mad:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 07 Nov 2006, 02:36

Probably the most disappointing loss ever as a Cowboys fan for me (especially living in Virginia)..But, honestly, I KNEW Vanderjagt would miss it or something would happen..Even though it wasn't his fault it was blocked. At least we have Arizona this week..

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 12 Nov 2006, 00:08

I guess this season saw too many L's pile up on Iowa State. Our head coach, Dan McCarney, is stepping down at the end of the season. Here's the article. We're gonna miss you coach.
And then on top of that, we lose to Colorado 33-16. :(
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 12 Nov 2006, 00:25

CMU beat Western 31-…I think it was 17. Congratulations to both teams for surviving, I hope you all made it through the game without losing any extremities.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 12 Nov 2006, 03:46

Vlad976 wrote:Why would there be a loss of extremities?
Frostbite. Because it was raining, windy, and cold! And it was fairly steady rain too, there were little rivers of water going down the streets and you really didn’t want to sit on the benches if you didn’t bring a towel. I only stayed for most of the first quarter idiotic stadium man says no umbrellas mumble mumble could have told me on the way in, saved me time and discomfort mumble mumble see if I support the team after this, need to write a nasty gram to the person in charge mumble mumble and between that, and walking there and back, I was soaked more or less from the waist down, I couldn’t feel my toes and my hands were burning from the cold. But the players (and band members and so on) didn’t exactly have the option of going home before the game ended, so they had to run in the cold and rain on the slippery grass-or-grass-substitute field.

Edit: Vlad? Where’d you go?

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 12 Nov 2006, 04:03

I seem to be suffering from post deleting withdrawl... Deleted my own post for some reason...
As for the game, I suppose that'll do it. Was the game time temp that low?
(And they don't allow umbrellas? Whazzup wit dat?)
----------------
Other notable games:
Georgia beats Auburn(5)
Arizona beats Cal(8)
Wisconsin(16) wins at Iowa (because I don't like the Hawkeyes)
Thursday, Rutgers(15) beat Louisville(3)
Boise St eeks one out against San Jose St.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 12 Nov 2006, 04:08

I don’t know if it was literally freezing (should have checked the temperature >_<), but it sure felt like it. I kept expecting it to start snowing, which might have been an improvement because at least then it wouldn't have been as wet.

Edit: I don’t know! I suppose it could be because it could block peoples’ view, but I was especially careful to find a spot with no one behind me for a few rows just for that reason. And there were other people with umbrellas too, and as far as I could tell he didn’t go bother them. (‘Course I didn’t stick around long after that. Too bloody cold…) It couldn’t have been a lightning hazard because 1.) Despite the rain there wasn’t any lightning and 2.) The stadium seating is metal, and would probably be a lot worse so far as that danger was concerned.

What annoys me the most is that I walked in with the thing open and no one said anything. If they’re going to forbid them, regardless of reason, they could at least say so upon me entering the stadium, or have a sign up or SOMETHING displaying the fact.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 13 Nov 2006, 07:52

Just when it seemed that my weekend misery was going to continue along with the Bears apparent slide into hibernation, they wake up by cutting the Giants down to size with a 38-20 win. And how 'bout that missed FG return for a TD by Devin Hester? Now we got two guys with 108-yard TD plays, the other being Nathan Vasher who did the same thing last year.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 13 Nov 2006, 20:27

College - UDub Dawgs (Huskies) as it's my nephew's alma mater, and he played on the team. Not that I watch the games, I'm just happy when they win.

Pro - AFC - KC Chiefs - My husband's home town, I have to root for them except when they play my absolute favorite -
NFC - Seahawks!!!

Right now, my honey gets bragging rights, until they get scheduled against each other again and my 'Hawks do what they are capable of doing. I kinda miss the twice a year competition.

Another last seconds win against St Louis and Seattle goes to the top of the NFC West. Going against San Francisco should give them another game of padding, and KC against Oakland may remind the Chiefs of what it takes to win, and resurrect that habit for them.

For two teams that lost their starting QBs, their back-up QBs have done a pretty darn good job.

Go 'Hawks! :D

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 13 Nov 2006, 20:37

Yeah, I gotta say that Seattle's backup Seneca Wallace is a pretty cool guy. ;)

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 13 Nov 2006, 22:05

Vlad976 wrote:Yeah, I gotta say that Seattle's backup Seneca Wallace is a pretty cool guy. ;)
Plus the fact that he's a Sacramento native gives me a little more reason to root for him. It's great to see him have a chance. He should have one more game before Matthew comes back, as SF shouldn't be much of a challenge. If I were Holmgren, I think I would have Matt dress, but be there 'just in case' and play Seneca as much as possible. Same for Shaun - unless Morris can't play because of his shoulder injury.

On the other hand, Seattle has something like 5 wide receivers. They can't *all* be covered all the time! :D

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/index.asp#horsey
See cartoon for Sept. 15, 2006

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 13 Nov 2006, 22:45

If you really wanna see what Seneca's capable of, check this out.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 13 Nov 2006, 22:53

Well, the Cowboys still suck and now Texas is out the bowl picture. Time for some B-A-S-K-E-T-B-A-L-L.

UT lost all its starters, but we have 7 good freshmen so who knows how they'll do. But it should be fun watching the team come together, and I bet Barnes has them playing well come tournament time.

Here in Texas we have three NBA teams that are fun to watch -- Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. They're all off to slow starts, but that's no big surprise. Houston really put it to Miami the other day -- Yao is finally coming into his own.

If anyone else wants to talk hoops, I'll start a new topic.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 14 Nov 2006, 05:29

Vlad976 wrote:If you really wanna see what Seneca's capable of, check this out.
They were talking about that run on the radio broadcast of the game (Thank you, Field Pass). Absolutely incredible!!
Thanks for the link to the film of it.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Nov 2006, 03:19

San Diego against Denver, what's your pick? I feel like Detroit can beat Arizona despite being considered the underdog. What do you think?

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 17 Nov 2006, 05:47

Angelspit wrote:San Diego against Denver, what's your pick? I feel like Detroit can beat Arizona despite being considered the underdog. What do you think?
I think Seattle has fallen off this year, so I'll take Denver for its D. Arizona is improved (how could they not be?) but still borderline pathetic. Detroit is so up and down, you never know, but I'd take them to tear up the AZ defense.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 17 Nov 2006, 06:31

I'm giving it to Arizona. I have complete faith in the Lions ability to absolutely blow a game when they are winning.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 17 Nov 2006, 20:52

Omega_Destroyer wrote:I'm giving it to Arizona. I have complete faith in the Lions ability to absolutely blow a game when they are winning.
Keeping in mind the games that Arizona has given away after building huge leads, I think even the Lions may have a chance.

I so wanted Az to beat the Bears!

Return to “Campfire”