The American Football Thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 04 Feb 2008, 03:34

On your way then. :slap:

And the Giants pull it off, 17-14. I'd say Tom Brady got rather beat up in this one.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 04 Feb 2008, 03:40

After watching the game, it appeared that the Giants were hungrier than the Pats. Most of the Pats had already won a Super Bowl. None of the Giants had. Strahan will probably retire now I think.

grumpy_dwarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby grumpy_dwarf » 04 Feb 2008, 05:06

Being a packer fan, I am feeling not so bad about the loss at lambeau 2 weeks ago....

That was one of the most memorable Super Bowls that I have witnessed. The Giants DLine was the real MVP (taking nothing away from Manning who had an excellent game as well)...

Was the superbowl party I was at the only one where no one was cheering for the Pats?

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 08 Feb 2008, 23:44

Thank the stars we will not have to listen to that "greatest team ever" crap for another year. The Pats aren't even the best 18-1 team ever -- they don't even compare to the '84 Niners and the '85 Bears, teams that won the big one.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 09 Feb 2008, 16:12

I live in Redskin territory (not a fan but sympathetic), and I find it incredible in Synder's inepitude in trying to hire a coach. :cantsee:
Oh well there is always Fassel :loll: :( Even I am of two minds on that. 8|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 09 Feb 2008, 21:09

Of course this means we're going to see Manning-led TV commercials 'til the end of time.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 10 Feb 2008, 14:18

Well Synder hired a relatively young coach with an upside, who would have thought he had it in him. I bet Corribus is relived. ;)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Feb 2008, 12:38

I'll just change the topic a bit, shall I, to make room for all kinds of sports :)

Now, for those of you who didn't hear it from my slightly-over-the-top ravings about something called "Tottenham" yesterday, my favourite football (soccer) team won the Carling Cup yesterday, against possibly better known Chelsea. It's the first trophy we've taken since 1999, and we're very happy about the prospect for the future. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a bit of dancing and prancing to do.

In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Feb 2008, 11:15

more importantly the AFL season is about to get underway, good stuff indeed, less of the pansy action of other football codes, more of the mans game! ;)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 02 Mar 2008, 06:03

Yup, Arena Football is rather fun to watch. Too bad we're only going to be able to see one early season game and Arena Bowl on tv... :disagree:

Wasn't a bad first game for the season. Dallas fought off a comeback attempt by Georgia to win it 51-41.

Go Rush!

Oh, and I almost forgot. The NFL Draft is coming up in a little over a month and a half.
Last edited by Vlad976 on 02 Mar 2008, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Mar 2008, 06:26

Since this is now the 'Sports' thread, does anyone want to talk March Madness? My Texas Longhorns are looking as good as they ever have, even without Kevin Durant, and I'm really excited about this year's tournament.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Mar 2008, 04:05

Spurs lost at home to PSV... figures. We bought a Brazilian left back to bolster our defences, serves us right that he should mess up and give away the only goal of the match. And we have the best offensive line in the Premiership; serves us right that they aren't good enough when it counts. :(
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 09 Mar 2008, 00:04

I'm sorry, you have the what again????! with a Goal Difference of +43 and more goals scored than any other team, I think we have the team offensive team :D what are you again? +4??? ;)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Mar 2008, 00:35

We have a bad GD because we had a leaky defence the first half of the season.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 09 Mar 2008, 06:17

I'm still having nightmares over Arsenal's Eduardo da Silva's leg :S :S

That idiot who put Eduardo into hospital should be banned from football for life. :mad:
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 09 Mar 2008, 13:49

Caradoc wrote:Since this is now the 'Sports' thread, does anyone want to talk March Madness? My Texas Longhorns are looking as good as they ever have, even without Kevin Durant, and I'm really excited about this year's tournament.
Can't say I like the mix, it was a very poor decision. :disagree: It's not like the forum has so many threads it's about to shut down (or is it), there are just too many teams in the different sports with the same name. When I read Kalah's post about the Spurs I was trying to figure out why San Antonio would play PSV, was PSV a College team or what. If I hadn't lived in Europe for awhile it would never had made sense. Separate the sports this thread will end up being so mixed many will never figure out what team or sport people are talking about. ;| Besides why is the "soccer thread not in here". I guess you might as well mix all the different game threads to, now that would be interesting mixing hangman and the caladont threads.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Mar 2008, 13:57

Well, I thought since both this thread and the soccer thread was being used only sporadically, I might as well merge them. Shouldn't be difficult undoing it though, if that's what you want.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Mar 2008, 23:29

They should be separated. In the US, guys watch and play American football while guys really don't give a hoot about soccer, for the most part. When the word "Soccer" comes up, it usually means that you're taking your daughter to her soccer practice. Girls in the US are more interested in watching and playing Soccer than guys. Nobody at work discusses soccer, just college and NFL football. It's just the way it is here.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Mar 2008, 23:59

He said: "Make it so", and it was done. B-)

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 10 Mar 2008, 23:35

In Kalahs' defense, Soccer has had attempts at stardom in the US, but all attempts fail. Why? Low scoring for one. The rules are'nt clear to Americans for another. And most players are from other countries. But for some strange twist, foreign players playing American Football are well known. Also, Soccer players don't wear helmets and pads. Seems like all they do is kick a ball around. No passing. To Americans, a bad Football game beats a great Soccer match, anyday. Like choosing to go to a major soccer match, or watching 2 high school teams battling for a play off spot. People will choose the High School game. Again, it's all on how you were raised, I guess.
All soccer games in the US are, for the most part, empty stadiums. Womens' Soccer has more popularity than mens if anything. More people in the crowds.

Return to “Campfire”