The American Football Thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 01 Oct 2006, 23:40

Chicago and Seattle is gonna be a great game...Too bad Alexander is out, it would be interesting to see the reigning MVP against probably the best defense in the League...

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Oct 2006, 05:22

Today we finally got to see Vince Young. All in all, it was an encouraging performance. He seems to be able to take control of the game and his passing was sharp. Like any rookie, he made some throws he shouldn't have and was fooled in some coverages.

If the Titans are going to get the most from him, they'll need to do more from the shotgun and do some zone blocking. He had a better line last year.

In other local news, the dismal Houston Texans managed to squeeze out a victory over Miami -- and the Saints fell one prayer short of a miracle comeback.

(and slightly off-topic, the Astros amazing last minute rush came up a game short. No playoffs this year.)
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 07 Oct 2006, 04:26

For me, this weekend brings Nebraska to Ames(Iowa State's home turf), and Buffalo to Chicago.
Going for a record third straight home win vs Nebraska. I really hope it can still be done despite the horrendous effort put forth vs Northern Iowa. The only thing that saved us from our turnovers in that game were UNI's penalties.

Da Bears get a chance to chase Dick Jauron out of town again, even though he's coaching another team.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 07 Oct 2006, 15:48

Biggest game of the year down here -- Texas vs Oklahoma. Life and death.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 08 Oct 2006, 07:11

One of the biggest games in the Pac 10 today: Oregon vs. Cal. I figured Cal would win by not as much as they did. And, oh by the way....Boise St won again....6 - 0 so far and they are still only 20th? C'mon you East Coast and BCS judges! Wake up. Do not underestimate this team. They have been unbeaten at home since 1996! (They have a blue turf btw.)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Oct 2006, 13:34

Game of the Week:

Eagles vs. Cowturds.

My money is on the Cowturds by 10, though as a Redskins fan, I'll be annoyed whoever wins.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 08 Oct 2006, 14:10

I can't wait for the Dallas-Philly game..Time for Dallas to take over first in the NFC East...

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 08 Oct 2006, 14:16

I'd comment on the Nebraska-Iowa State game (particularly the officiating), but then the Big 12 officials would chase me around with clubs and knives.

As for the Boise State question, look at their schedule. A schedule without a single ranked opponent isn't exactly going to impress. If they want respect they have to tangle with one of the BCS big guns and come out on top.

Bring on the Bills.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 08 Oct 2006, 16:07

Vlad976 wrote:As for the Boise State question, look at their schedule. A schedule without a single ranked opponent isn't exactly going to impress. If they want respect they have to tangle with one of the BCS big guns and come out on top.

I can't help it if the BCS won't let them play who they want. But I know this much. Many colleges wanted the Boise St. Head Coach. He turned them all down to stay where he is. Now, the players come to him rather than the other way around when it comes to recruiting.

......And Shaun Alexander will be back in a couple of weeks putting the Seahawks back on the winning track.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 09 Oct 2006, 05:54

Well, the Eagles won -- but what a wild game! The Cowboys certainly had their chances, but 5 turnovers is not going to beat anyone -- even the Skins, Corribus, who were truly pathetic again. (What the hell's wrong with that team? They've got the players.) The Cowboy offense finally made some big plays. But the Eagle offense had even bigger ones. I mean the ball was flying up and down the field. The big TO thing turned out not to matter that much, other than drawing media focus.

I can console myself that the Texas Longhorns whipped OU. And didn't Vince look good against Indianapolis?

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 09 Oct 2006, 10:31

Drew Bledsoe is absolutely terrible..I know our offensive line isn't the best, but Bledsoe holds on to the ball for way too long, then makes an extremely stupid mistake..

I know it's easy to sit here and judge the day after, but that throw to the endzone at the end of the game was one of the worst I've ever seen..I mean, come on Bledsoe, he wasn't open anyway and it was only 2nd down. Could have easily threw it away...

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 09 Oct 2006, 16:44

I agree. Bledsoe does not seem to be in command of the offense. He is immobile and misses a lot of reads. He also takes too many sacks when he should just throw the ball away.

Will Romo be an improvement? Somehow I doubt that he is the heir to Troy Aikman. But will the Cowboys be able to improve through the draft? Can't see that either. So it looks like it'll have to be another free agent.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 09 Oct 2006, 21:35

ByteBandit wrote:I can't help it if the BCS won't let them play who they want.
The BCS as an entity has no authority over the making of season schedules. If North Texas wants to play West Virginia next year, they call up WV and see if they can make a deal.

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 09 Oct 2006, 21:57

I don't know about Romo..But he's more mobile than Bledsoe, and a better option right now and in the future..

I don't see us getting anybody on the FA market, since there really isn't any big-impact free agents that will be available. A 1st-rounder QB would be good, and have him sit behind Romo for a year or two.

But this team isn't going to go anywhere if Bledsoe continues to be the starting QB, and hopefully it'll end soon.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 10 Oct 2006, 01:10

A friend of mine at work told me today that the Head Coach of Boise St. from the previous years is now the Head Coach at Colorado or Colorado St. His new team is'nt doing well from what I gather, but given time, he'll have that Colorado team on the top. Much like Willingham at Washington. His recruits at Notre Dame are doing very well: last year and this year, and the UW Huskies have already doubled their win output this year and almost beat USC this weekend at USC. At first, everyone thought Willingham was worthless when he came to UW, but now......not so much. Given time, he'll give Pete Caroll a run for his money....or the Roses for that matter.... :)
But my predictions are coming true...Cal IS the best team in the Pac - 10 this year. They WILL beat USC.....trust me. After trouncing Oregon, they are now in Tunnelvision and can't be beat for the rest of the season. No matter who they play.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 10 Oct 2006, 19:57

I'm suddenly a Cal fan, too. Let's see... Cal beats USC, Ohio State beats Michigan, Tennessee upsets Florida, and Texas clears the table, setting up an OSU/Texas final. We'll get 'em this time!

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 17 Oct 2006, 09:06

:sweat: Well it seems that despite their best efforts(4 INTs and 2 fumbles lost), Da Bears managed to beat the Cardinals.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 17 Oct 2006, 09:17

They ain't here to start no trouble..there just here to..ok I will stop now. :) Ok I don't follow football much, but I do like *takes a deep breath* the Bengals (hey I am from ohio, its the Bungles or the Browns..). Now I am not a Who Dey..fan of the Bengals, but I have stuck with them through the tough time. Only watch on rare occasions though. So I guess I have to add to this..."Who Dey?" :D
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 17 Oct 2006, 14:22

Vlad976 wrote::sweat: Well it seems that despite their best efforts(4 INTs and 2 fumbles lost), Da Bears managed to beat the Cardinals.
It's always a good day when a Cardinals team (in any sport) loses. :D

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 18 Oct 2006, 17:01

True dat. Who all saw Dennis Green's post game "speech"? Ouch.

Return to “Campfire”